Home Precious Metals

It looks like a fake to me...but I guess it could be "real silver" just not really from Perth Mint?

HallcoHallco Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2, 2018 6:58PM in Precious Metals

I had the 2001 example of this one mainly because I had 2 budgie parakeets at the time of release and it reminded me of them. Just saw this one on Ebay it looked odd. This one is the one that looks questionable(at least to me not mine or my auction)....

And this is the original(photo courtesy of Apmex just for comparisons)

Am I correct in my thinking....or do I owe the birdies and her majesty an apology? :smiley:

Comments

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2018 7:19PM

Looks like HRH got a butt whuppin on the face. May be lighting, but I would pass. Pay more at Apmex, at least it won't be fake. Apmex does well enough selling the real thing to risk getting caught selling a counterfeit. Earrings look wrong too.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely looks strange !!! :(

Timbuk3
  • thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks ok, but hard to tell with the lighting. Like what was said, don't skimp.

thefinn
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

It’s real.

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's real. Hard to compare two coins when the lighting is totally different.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks everyone. I'm not planning to buy it either way. I just saw it and it looked off but yes I agree with @PerryHall ...I didn't take into consideration the lighting aspect.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

They definitely appear different... probably lighting... the second looks proof and the first a business strike.... but the difference in earrings is significant... Cheers, RickO

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like "The Australian" text on the top one, that's the only thing that really made me look. But these and the Koalas can look way different at angles and with lighting variances.

• PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

It's real. As others have said, the lighting makes a huge difference.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup. Went and grabbed mine. Same coin, different angle/light.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks real to me, too.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those blokes from down under do a nice job on their coins.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    They definitely appear different... probably lighting... the second looks proof and the first a business strike.... but the difference in earrings is significant... Cheers, RickO

Funny thing about the kookaburras, the proof coins (which are no longer made) had a different design than it's business strike counterpart the years that they were produced... i.e. 1990 proof bears the image of the 1991 business strike.

Check it out... 2001 proof kookaburra

It's all about what the people want...

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh yeah... OPs coin looks legit IMO

It's all about what the people want...

@LukeMarshall said:

@ricko said:

Funny thing about the kookaburras, the proof coins (which are no longer made) had a different design than it's business strike counterpart the years that they were produced... i.e. 1990 proof bears the image of the 1991 business strike.

Check it out... 2001 proof kookaburra

Very cool! I have never seen one of those and didn't realize that there were proofs! Thank you for posting this! :)

@LukeMarshall said:
    Oh yeah... OPs coin looks legit IMO

Yes. I think we have come to the agreement that the lighting differences made it appear to look odd.