Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Star Notes (American Currency)

shinywhiteshinywhite Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
edited June 16, 2021 12:37PM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

Is there any money in these? I've heard of people selling star notes for a sum. My question is....is it worth looking for them???

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Typically it's the earlier notes that the star really helps on value.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most are common. There is a star note lookup page you can Google, it can tell you how common or uncommon your note is. If the serial # starts with lots of 0's that is usually better. I keep them just because, sort of an extra savings account.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2018 1:42PM

On eBay they bring a very small premium, but as mentioned above the old notes get more of a bump. I keep them when I find them just because I like them. I've never found any other than a $1 star in circulation though. Nice find!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

@ernie11 said:
    A more involved answer than either yes or no would be to try a website I use, by typing in the serial number of your star note and the denomination and series, and I think it lets you know whether or not the note was a large run or a smaller scarcer run.

mycurrencycollection.com/reference/star-notes/lookup

That site is awesome. Mine wasnt rare at all and a larger run. What about if the note has double letters and such?

• Options

@ms70 said:
    On eBay they bring a very small premium, but as mentioned above the old notes get more of a bump. I keep them when I find them just because I like them. I've never found any other than a $1 star in circulation though. Nice find!

The funny thing about it is, I never even looked for star notes until I watched a vid on YouTube and started about 3 days prior to finding this one!

• Options

@shinywhite said:

@ms70 said:

The funny thing about it is, I never even looked for star notes until I watched a vid on YouTube and started about 3 days prior to finding this one!

Well you started big, that's for sure! LOL....

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

The more zeros before numbers the scarcer it is. Binary is also good or repeated numbers. Condition is very important. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is an old one.

• Options

I buy the star silver certificates with eBay bucks when they don't have anything else I want.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love star notes !!! <3

Timbuk3
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shinywhite Not that one, unless it is low production Star Note and it should be in Crisp Uncirculated condition, with NO folds creases (you have a hard crease down the middle) or stains.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@ricko said:
    A former employee of mine collected these.... He got one out of a cash machine once.. then requested another $400 trying to get more...Strange dude...did the mail order bride thing, then brought over her family... then she dumped him and took all his collection and money....Cheers RickO

Wow, that is a damn horror story!

• Options

This note is not rare but it's also not common. It's right in the middle...should I keep it or no?

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you know what star notes are? If you want to collect them, find a teller at your bank that will look for you - new cash comes in bundles from their source and sometimes the last 2/3rds are stars. This will not be circulated with bends, creases, holes or discolored, but uncirculated.

• Options

Well, I've tried that. No teller will look for me, so I'm stuck with sifting through my change and a.t.m.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect star notes. A couple of rules apply. Condition in notes is everything. Crisp flat is best, of course. The more zeros to the left the rarer the note. You can go in the bank and purchase a fresh stack of any denomination of notes you can afford. Try it, it's your money. The Star note website is very nice. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2021 7:31PM

@shinywhite said:
    This note is not rare but it's also not common. It's right in the middle...should I keep it or no?![](https://us.v-

NOT a single circulated modern star note is worth a premium. The BEP sells thousands of UNC star notes directly to collectors. There is no shortage of UNC notes, so who is going to buy a circ note?

Edited to add: sometimes people buy them. Contact @sellitstore if you need help selling it.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2018 6:30PM

@shinywhite

I know this is OT to this OT thread but you can get crisp uncut currency directly from the US Mint for a premium.

I have been known to get the full 32-sheet $2s. ;)

https://catalog.usmint.gov/currency/uncut-currency/

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I save them just to save them..... I only bother with $5 or larger.... lot's of ones to be found. I've been able to accumulate some nice stacks and I find it hard to spend when I decide I want to use them so I usually take them to a show and buy coins with them. I loose a couple % interest by keeping them, but it's ready cash if I need/want to use for anything.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Star notes are cool. But if you want one worth more than face value, it has to be perfect without creases. It has to have a special serial number- either really low or with repeating numbers or with radar numbers. Old bills are more desirable. Star notes are replacement notes for those bills that were damaged in the printing process, and those serial numbers have to be represented by law... I have a pile of star notes, like @Smudge says, it makes for a nice extra savings account. I don't think I have any worth a premium but I know they're all at least worth face value!!! And they are cool.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I look through all currency and star notes are fairly common, especially singles but all denominations are easily found.
    I used to sell them for $150 per hundred at local shows and they would always sell.
    Not any more.
    No interest at all.
    I could not understand why anyone would want circulated star notes with no funny numbers or low numbers, but I certainly was happy to make a profit on them. :)

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, they can be desirable. You need 1929's, 1934's.....or even large size bills. Other than a wacky serial, I can't imagine something of value, star wise, coming out of circulation.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is how I do it with banks. I but a lot on my CC so I get a lot of points then I get gift cards and give them out to my bankers, then ask for what you want and they will look for you, Works for silver as well trust me it pay to do it.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

Just scored with a pack of 100 brand new dollar consecutive crisp star notes from the bank!! Actually the last two in one pack were not stars, but all the rest were. The only marks were where paper clips were used to hold the 25 notes together. 2017 with two zeroes in the lead serial #. What's that star searching website again? I've got to look these up...

• Options
    Off_Cent_erOff_Cent_er Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2021 9:18PM

I started out searching for star notes when I was younger. I learned something from that: if you like star notes, then you will love web notes. Rarer and cool origin in my opinion. I own three, two of which I have found in circulation.

• Options

@Off_Cent_er said:
    I started out searching for star notes when I was younger. I learned something from that: if you like star notes, then you will love web notes. Rarer and cool origin in my opinion. I own three, two of which I have found in circulation.

What are web notes? Don't make me google that!!!

• Options

@Onastone said:

@Off_Cent_er said:

Printing method.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    A former employee of mine collected these.... He got one out of a cash machine once.. then requested another $400 trying to get more...Strange dude...did the mail order bride thing, then brought over her family... then she dumped him and took all his collection and money....Cheers RickO

wow
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:

I thought this happened to a Forum member? Similar M.O.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA.... This is not an uncommon practice, but this one happened to my employee, so it was personally observed. I feel bad for these lonely souls, they are prime candidates for the thieves. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Off_Cent_erOff_Cent_er Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:

@Off_Cent_er said:

Instead of the normal sheet print method, they used an experimental press that printed the bills using a roll, similar to that of printing a newspaper. The idea was scrapped due to inadequate details being printed on the bills.

Web notes are only found as dollar bills printed during the 1988A, 1993, and 1995 series. I dont have a picture at the moment but web notes will only have a single or double digit plate numer on the front and back. There wont be a letter with the number like normal bills.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2021 7:35AM

@ricko said:

All because of those damned star notes? Wow!

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2021 8:02AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@shinywhite said:
    This note is not rare but it's also not common. It's right in the middle...should I keep it or no?![](https://us.v-

NOT a single circulated modern star note is worth a premium. The BEP sells thousands of UNC star notes directly to collectors. There is no shortage of UNC notes, so who is going to buy a circ note?

Do you mean like this beat up dog sold by Heritage two weeks ago for $156?
    https://currency.ha.com/itm/federal-reserve-notes/fr-1914-f-1-1988-federal-reserve-star-note-pmg-very-fine-25/a/62181-96275.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Or these common ones?
    https://currency.ha.com/itm/federal-reserve-notes/-1-frn-stars/a/141705-85429.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

Circulated star notes can be worth a premium. I once sold a $5 star note for $2000! Of course it was a nice 1899 Silver Certificate, but even modern stars can be worth a premium. And a surprising number of old circulated small size stars are (1930s -50s) can be had at small premiums over face. It's a vast collecting area with many possibilities to define different collections.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

@sellitstore said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@shinywhite said:

Do you mean like this beat up dog sold by Heritage two weeks ago for $156?
    https://currency.ha.com/itm/federal-reserve-notes/fr-1914-f-1-1988-federal-reserve-star-note-pmg-very-fine-25/a/62181-96275.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Or these common ones?
    https://currency.ha.com/itm/federal-reserve-notes/-1-frn-stars/a/141705-85429.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

Circulated star notes can be worth a premium. I once sold a $5 star note for $2000! Of course it was a nice 1899 Silver Certificate, but even modern stars can be worth a premium. And a surprising number of old circulated small size stars are (1930s -50s) can be had at small premiums over face. It's a vast collecting area with many possibilities to define different collections.

What are you paying for circ star notes?

• Options
    edited June 3, 2021 7:12PM

In your world, does everyone have to buy what they comment about?

Why can't you admit your error or do you need more examples?

I don't buy everything for which there is a market, do you? Just because you wouldn't pay more than face for stars, doesn't mean that others don't, right? I have proven this.

Leave it be, Mr. Phd. In currency, you are just a student.

Got any obsolete currency for sale? That's what I like to buy. Others will buy your stars, so why not try offering a few on the Currency BST. Won't cost you a cent.

• Options
    edited June 3, 2021 7:51PM

@sellitstore said:
    In your world, does everyone have to buy what they comment about?

Why can't you admit your error or do you need more examples?

I don't buy everything for which there is a market, do you? Just because you wouldn't pay more than face for stars, doesn't mean that others don't, right? I have proven this.

Leave it be, Mr. Phd. In currency, you are just a student.

Got any obsolete currency for sale? That's what I like to buy. Others will buy your stars, so why not try offering a few on the Currency BST. Won't cost you a cent

I don't even remember this 3 year old post. I just asked a question.

I don't know any dealers paying a premium for circulated MODERN stars except maybe web notes. So, I asked a simple question. Since you don't buy them, I still don't know anyone who does.

I don't consider 1899 or 1930 to be modern. I've sold hundreds if circ 1957 silvers and red seal stars. I'm quite familiar with those markets. Yes, certain specific modern star notes sell, even if circulated.

Why can't you just answer a simple question without adding all the other crap? It's neither useful nor clever. It fails to elevate you or enhance your point.

• Options
    edited June 3, 2021 7:36PM

Duplicate post

• Options

**"Yes, certain specific modern star notes sell, even if circulated.

Why can't you just answer a simple question without adding all the other crap? It's neither useful nor clever. It fails to elevate you or enhance your point."**

Thanks for finally admitting that you were wrong when you said, "NOT a single circulated modern star note is worth a premium. "

Hey, everyone here knows what you are all about. That's no secret.

• Options

@sellitstore said:
    **"Yes, certain specific modern star notes sell, even if circulated.

Why can't you just answer a simple question without adding all the other crap? It's neither useful nor clever. It fails to elevate you or enhance your point."**

Thanks for finally admitting that you were wrong when you said, "NOT a single circulated modern star note is worth a premium. "

Hey, everyone here knows what you are all about. That's no secret.

Again, you can't resist making a dig.

I guess we know what you're about.

• Options
    Abbc10Abbc10 Posts: 60 ✭✭

Just thought this was cool and I'd share it with the other people who may find this cool as well.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2021 9:14PM

It's funny you would mention this. Just the other day I thought I had a real winner. Low serial number PLUS, a Star Note! I even checked the Fancy Serial number website. It did show close to rare. 320,000. But in fact, the too circulated condition ruined it. :#

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2021 10:31AM

Lol. Come to think of it! I suppose I WILL save it. :D
    It's too cool to throw back.
    B)
    20852, is the lowest serial number I ever found and it's a Star note.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like Star notes as a way to save money without really noticing a real hardship doing so. I don't see them real often but when I do I just set them aside unless they're very very circulated then I let them go. It's a great way to store up some extra cash and then once you get a tidy amount spend them on something neat

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2021 11:47AM

A year or so ago one of my bank atms had a brick of $20 stars in it. The run had no shot at any low or fancy serials but all were crispy. Spent every one.

Posted in the currency forum, got this today swapping change for bills at the bank.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple dozen Web Notes and would consider trading them for the rare Star Web Note.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    DoctorPaperDoctorPaper Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Different kind of star notes.

Wisconsin nationals: gotta love 'em....