Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2018 Kennedy razorburn and mint employee thumbprints (saving for later) mwhahahahaha

mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

I honestly don't know what to think on this set.

Kennedy cut himself shaving.

What do you think about the "S"?

I also am wondering if anyone else saw this scratch on the reverse of their reverse proof shield cent. (please let me know if you have this too...

The box arrived damaged.

And finally, I have someone's thumbprint from the mint. (2018 Uncirculated mint set) I guess I'll keep that, just in case I ever need it for something.

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

This sort of thing is really a big disincentive for me to order form the Mint. I always expect there to be some kind of issue.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

My set is fine. None of those issues.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2018 12:54PM

Wow!

I don't have the scratches or fingerprint, because I sent them back to the Mint.

edited to remove my comment on the S that was not correct

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Out of six sets I graded today one 50C had two small horizontal hits on the neck. The "S" looks normal. The field on mine looks sandblasted. Your image has "washed-out" the tiny pin-prick depressions.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

be interesting to see what percentage of those 2 coins come back PR-70 on the graded sets. I would guess right around 40 to 50 percent do

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    be interesting to see what percentage of those 2 coins come back PR-70 on the graded sets. I would guess right around 40 to 50 percent do

My guess is less % than that from our hosts. Other places that is probably about right. I saw several issues with the Kennedy both obverse and the top of the reverse shield, most my cents were good, as well as the Sac so they could do better % wise..

• Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers the S is actually also the Lincoln

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options

@mt_msla said:
    @Goldminers the S is actually also the Lincoln

Sorry, Clearly it is my mistake. The Lincoln S is in that lower spot, the Jeff is higher. I got confused as the S in the picture did not look copper colored to me, so I assumed it was the Jeff..

• Options

@coinpalice said:

I sent four out of six to the next grader as PR-70 and I consider myself to be one of the toughest TPG's on 70's. If you see one of our 70's with marks (I know they are out there along with those from the other services), chances are 99.9% that I didn't get to grade that coin. :(

• Options
    edited July 31, 2018 1:13PM

Four out of the six dimes have a rim burr over the "U" on the reverse caused by a hit (damaged) on the edge reeds. Feed finger mark? I took photos but need time to down load them.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

It could be4 a struck thru, and not a scratch.
    Hard to tell

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Treashunt said:
    Hard to tell

IMO, both coins are scratched Frank.

• Options

@Insider2 said:

@Treashunt said:
    Hard to tell

Okay, I'll pass

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    edited July 31, 2018 1:30PM

@Treashunt said:

@Insider2 said:

@Treashunt said:
    Hard to tell

Okay, I'll pass

Your opinion is as good as mine! How are things over there? I checked this morning and no alerts.

• Options

@Insider2 said:

@Treashunt said:

@Insider2 said:

@Treashunt said:
    Hard to tell

Okay, I'll pass

Your opinion is as goo as mine! How are things over there? I checked this morning and no alerts.

alerts?
    I'm in NY.
    We are born with alerts, about nearly everything

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Treashunt said:

@Insider2 said:

@Treashunt said:

@Insider2 said:

@Treashunt said:
    Hard to tell

Okay, I'll pass

Your opinion is as goo as mine! How are things over there? I checked this morning and no alerts.

alerts?
    I'm in NY.

Alerts on CT

• Options
    edited July 31, 2018 1:33PM

@Insider2 said:

@Treashunt said:

@Insider2 said:

@Treashunt said:

@Insider2 said:

@Treashunt said:
    Hard to tell

Okay, I'll pass

alerts?
    I'm in NY.

Alerts on CT

nothing recently. why?

mostly about my Canadian cent find at 7-11

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

Does anyone know if you send in say the 5 coin set with the Kennedy to PCGS to grade with the set plastic intact, can you ask them to only grade say 4 of the coins and send one of the others back in a slip, or do you have to grade all 5?

I also am curious as to an easy way to remove these from the mint plastic container, assuming I only want to send in a few nice ones.

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    Does anyone know if you send in say the 5 coin set with the Kennedy to PCGS to grade with the set plastic intact, can you ask them to only grade say 4 of the coins and send one of the others back in a slip, or do you have to grade all 5?

I also am curious as to an easy way to remove these from the mint plastic container, assuming I only want to send in a few nice ones.

At least one TPGS let's you pick the coins you want in sets and returns the rest. I should think the top two would do the same. Get them in early for the "Early Release label"

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

What do they say about don't but anything made on Monday or Friday. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

use a tiny screwdriver, the ones used on eye glasses and pry the corners up one at a time. once corner is up, you can use your fingertips to open it all the way, or just use the screwdriver on the other 3 corners. just take the coin you don't want graded out of the plastic. you suppose to use 2X2 flips sending your coins in, but they don't mind if they are still in the case

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That scratch on JFK's cheek is terrible... never should have left the mint....or were these sets assembled post mint?... In that case, it should have never left the facility that put them together... simple quality control. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file