Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do the 1907 High Relief $20's REALLY not stack well? Let's find out.

As some of you may have gleaned from another thread I posted here, last week a collection came in that contained three high grade 1907 high relief $20's.

It was suggested here on the forum that I should try to see if they stack, since that was mentioned as one of the reasons the mint switched to the low relief design later in 1907.

Good idea -- so I did so.

I carefully stacked each coin. First, I stacked all the obverses:

Secondly, I stacked reverse/obverse/reverse:

While far from a definitive test, they seemed to stack about as well as the later Saint Gaudens $20's do.

Was this myth busted? Maybe so.

PS: Yes --I was a bit sloppy in how I stacked them. But I didn't want to slide one against the other.

Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins

Comments

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm liking that toned one even more after seeing the stack :)

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

As noted elsewhere, "stacking" refers to the height of a pile of coins, not to the coins "wobbling." A pile of 20 DE was the informal standard.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2018 10:29AM

Looks like some "air gap" in between the bottom and 2nd coin, on both images. I would still say "no", they don't stack well, based on these three.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread gives me a strange sort of anxiety. Thanks for testing!

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2018 10:58AM

Wow, they look amazing stacked like that!!! :+1::+1:

Thanks for sharing photos of the edges.

Edited to add: You really get a feel of the height of the relief from these photos. Unfortunately you don't get that when they are inside a slab.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on this, I'll continue to believe the "old myth." I wish you would have made the overlap perfect (as on two pieces). There appears to be a space that looks more than just an offset. Eventually, slabs will eliminate the opportunity to do experiments such as this with MS coins.

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    As noted elsewhere, "stacking" refers to the height of a pile of coins, not to the coins "wobbling." A pile of 20 DE was the informal standard.

Better grab 17 more raw ones.

Would it make any difference between Flat Rim and Wire Rim?

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool! :D

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool, but far from busted. You would need to make sure the coins are lined up properly, AND rotate each coin a full 360 degrees to see if there is a certain rotation that does not stack well. Man, I really want that toner.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:

This.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet, thanks !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Difference in height nearly one piece"
    I can see how that was a major concern. Great document!

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here I thought "stacking" was acquiring bags and bundles of the subject coins.

I'd have real respeck for anyone who was stacking HRs. B)

• Options

Thanks Roger and Tom. Here is the thing about stacking. I can see both arguments. We do know for certain that the HR design was abandoned. I believe that bankers complained. So, the problem had to be with regard to counting the coins efficiently. That is "stacking." I also believe that a "stack" of these coins would wobble. Until we see a column of twenty HR Unc's that is straight as a rod.... :p

• Options
    edited July 31, 2018 3:12PM

There is no "second argument" concerning wobbling. The only contemporary usage at the Mint, sub-Treasuries, and banks was stacking height of a pile of coins. That is how tellers and others counted coins when dealing with normal quantities. The Barber letter is direct and explicit.

The "wobbling" approach is a modern error in understanding - possibly promoted by earlier coin writers not explaining what was meant by "stacking" or ignorance on their part. (Wally Breen was a master of this kind of incomplete understanding, but I don;t feel he was responsible for this one. Now about those 'Roman' proofs....)

PS: The only references at present to DE or other US coins wobbling are, 1) 1849 DE and first 1850 pieces (not issued); and, 2) 1877 DE where the new obverse hub was in excess relief and coins with heads facing wobbled. A new hub was made. The problem was a rim that was lower than the portrait....design height/depth above the field or between planes is immaterial.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@RogerB said:

This.

Except that you could likely create a higher stack if you used coins that didn't cause wobble.

• Options
    edited July 31, 2018 4:09PM

Coin handling in that era was a matter of practical use and training. Stacks of 10 or 20 larger coins - halves, Eagles, DE and dollars were practical and universally used (except at the Mints where counting boards were used). Smaller coins were piled in units, such as quarters in $1 stacks, or flat piles for most others. A teller or cashier was trained to handle only one denomination at a time, and never mix minor and silver, or silver and gold on the same counter-top for review. Every cashier was personally responsible for their till - a discrepancy had to be made up immediately from the teller's own funds.

• Options
    edited July 31, 2018 3:22PM

@RogerB said:
    There is no "second argument" concerning wobbling. The only contemporary usage at the Mint, sub-Treasuries, and banks was stacking height of a pile of coins. That is how tellers and others counted coins when dealing with normal quantities. The Barber letter is direct and explicit.

The "wobbling" approach is a modern error in understanding - possibly promoted by earlier coin writers not explaining what was meant by "stacking" or ignorance on their part. (Wally Breen was a master of this kind of incomplete understanding, but I don;t feel he was responsible for this one. Now about those 'Roman' proofs....)

PS: The only references at present to DE or other US coins wobbling are, 1) 1849 DE and first 1850 pieces (not issued); and, 2) 1877 DE where the new obverse hub was in excess relief and coins with heads facing wobbled. A new hub was made. The problem was a rim that was lower than the portrait....design height/depth above the field or between planes is immaterial.

Better get the word out to a much wider audience in a short article with the letter. You changed my mind! ;)
    Is it in one of your books?

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know this is heresy, but ...maybe... the mint just had a harder (read "more costly") time striking decent coins with such nice detail.

Witness the later designs and their ...um... plainness. :D

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

They're beautiful

• Options
    edited July 31, 2018 4:21PM

RE: "Better get the word out to a much wider audience in a short article with the letter. You changed my mind! ;) Is it in one of your books?"

Nope. There is a lot of information scattered throughout US Mint materials. Publishing it is a problem since there is no clear focus. There are 12 pages of related material on piling and stacks (including volunteer transcriptions), and several other comments over a 100-year period. There's a group of documents on Henry Mitchell's coin designs; other documents about the Philadelphia Mint site and questions about the deed, drainage, etc. There's all the testimony in the Dimmick trial; and hundreds of pages of legal depositions about the New Orleans mint and San Francisco Mint....and on and on. What is of interest and what is not - what about future interest?

Material derived from these and other sources is in most of my books and articles. It's normally references in the footnotes and bibliography.

@topstuf said:
    I know this is heresy, but ...maybe... the mint just had a harder (read "more costly") time striking decent coins with such nice detail.

Witness the later designs and their ...um... plainness. :D

There's considerable difference between the detail that can be brought up with one blow of a toggle press (or a modern Schuler press), and three blows from a medal press. :)

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

To ensure objectivity, please send the 3 coins to me, and I will rerun the tests to determine if the difference in gravity due difference in altitude and latitude is a significant factor.

• Options
    edited July 31, 2018 7:58PM

The letter is the best part that "proves" the case.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Appears to stack fine to me. Congrats.

PS if you don't want them I will gladly take off your hands at these bargain prices.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stacking high relief $20s - you are a brave man.

Thomas Elder described these as "kind wouldn't stack." He wasn't worried about a nick on a coin costing him thousands of dollars, so I'll take his word for it.

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now you need to stack them edgewise :o

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Swampboy said:
    They're beautiful

I’m drooling on my iPhone. So meaty looking and raw!

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be a nice problem to have.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can honestly say, I have never tried to stack high relieve double eagles... ;) Of course, I have never had enough of them to even consider the task. :'( I do appreciate the contribution of @RogerB... since this puts the old belief to rest... Though I also like the OP images....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭

I think you need to stack at least 5 or 6 of these to be sure.

• Options

@CoinRaritiesOnline said:
    I think you need to stack at least 5 or 6 of these to be sure.

12 to 20 would prove if both opinions are correct.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice stack

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thrice the LIKES .... I love them whether they would stack or not <3
    Congrats on the beautiful lot

• Options
    AthenaAthena Posts: 439 ✭✭✭

Remarkable. Thanks for sharing! :)

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since they are now marred with stacking marks how about a giveaway? ;):p

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

DaveWCoins: Wow, what a great experience to share with us mortals.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file