Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWPs: 1766 Burgau Taler and 1694 Augsburg Taler

ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

1766 Austria. Burgau. Maria Theresa Levant Taler 1766. DAV-1148. KM-16. Gunzburg mint in Burgau. Burgau, located near Ulm in Germany, belonged to the Holy Roman Empire during the 18th century. It later passed to Bavaria. Well struck and fully brilliant luster intact. Austria minted a Levant Trade Thaler for two years. The venture was not a long-term success. The type is rather common in well worn condition, but Choice, Mint State specimens are very scarce. PCGS MS-65.

1694 Augsburg. DAV-5049. KM-106. in the name of Leopold I. Obverse: Large pine cone in oval baroque frame, Roman numeral date divided above. City arms within laurel sprays. Reverse: Crowned double headed eagle, orb on breast. PCGS MS-63 (Coin placed upside down in holder!)

Comments

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Greg M always has a good eye. I followed a few of those pieces but they finished well above my comfort level.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@worldcoinguy said:
    Greg M always has a good eye. I followed a few of those pieces but they finished well above my comfort level.

These were Greg's? I didn't even realize. I knew he had an auction that concluded this past Sunday and had some nice German States material but these never showed up on my radar.

@Zohar - nice newps. Congrats! As for the Augsburg being slabbed upside down, I guess that the slabbing folks thought the pine cone was a chandelier.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zohar - nice newps. Congrats! As for the Augsburg being slabbed upside down, I guess that the slabbing folks thought the pine cone was a chandelier.

Thanks EVP. Seriously speaking, I would expect more in terms of holdering.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was wondering who else from the boards was following those auctions. He has a lot of dedicated followers, I agree that a bit higher than I wanted to go.

Anybody get the Teutonic Order 1/4 taler?

@Zohar - congrats! I like the Augsburg.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

I really liked the 1662 Sax Weimar taler and the 1539 Brandenburg piece. The Nepal gold pieces were also very nice.

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

very nice!

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

The luster is amazing! on that 250 year old Burgau thaler

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

way nice :)