Home Sports Talk
Options

Which team was better ?

1970s1970s Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

1981-1984 San Francisco 49ers ...............41-16 record overall
1990-1993 Buffalo Bills..............................49-15 record overall

(San Francisco has less games because of the strike shortened season in 1982. Their record was very bad that year.)

Between 1981 through 1984 San Francisco won 2 Super Bowls.
Between 1990 through 1993 Buffalo lost 4 Super Bowls.

Very simple question. Which team will go down in history as having the better run ?

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2018 6:34AM

Since the Buffalo Bills didn't win the Super Bowl, the answer is simple, San Francisco.

If you don't take the season "to the house," you won't go down as the best. Remember the 2007 Patriots? They ran the table until the Super Bowl. They had a much tougher regular season schedule than that much admired Miami Dolphins team had in the early 1970s. The Patriots were better than that Dolphins team in my opinion, but they lost of the Super Bowl, and that was the end of the story.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea...and we all didn't see that one coming. LOL

• Options

Funny shtick. LOL

Lasorda is just lucky there wasn't any snow in the stands. ;)

• Options

Nah, Philly fans would never throw anything at Tom Lasorda.

We didn't particularly like Lasorda with his nonstop "Dodger blue" rants. But he was a terrific goodwill ambassador for the game and I think baseball fans everywhere have a great respect for Tom Lasorda.

Lasorda is actually the oldest living Hall of Famer.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Team goal is to win championships.

San Francisco the better team.

Case in point Minnesota Vikings 1973-1976 regular season record 46-10 but 0-3 in Super Bowls to three different teams. No one considers the Vikes the best team of that time period. Their "best" year might have been 1975 and they didn't make it to the SB.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bills were exceptional. SF was unstoppable.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2018 12:33PM

I truly will always feel bad for that Buffalo Team and the fans, I’ve always said it’s a shame Kelly and Marino never won a Super Bowl

• Options

I especially feel bad for that fella in the above video LOL

• Options

@perkdog said:
    I truly will always feel bad for that Buffalo Team and the fans, I’ve always said it’s a shame Kelly and Marino never won a Super Bowl

Yes, I agree. I remember when they were favored to win the "Championship of New York State" Super Bowl when they played the New Giants. As a Patriots and Eagles fan, I have no love for Giants. I thought that last season was one of the Giants’ best efforts. ;)

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

I HATE the NY Giants more than I hate the Yankees.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

The NFC East collectively kicked Buffalo's ARSE 4 years straight! The last 2 to the best team ever Dallas Cowboys! :)

I loved it....especially watching Marv Levy cry after the last thumping by the Boys in Silver and Blue!! B)

I'm sure there is a 4 year stretch in there where the Cowboys had the best record in the NFL. Probably the stretch where they won the Super Bowl 3 out of 4 years.

• Options

@1970s said:

@BillJones said:

. As a Patriots and Eagles fan, I have no love for Giants.

Hmmmmmmmm. We're you happy with Super Bowl 2018 ?

Super Bowl 2018 was a tough one. I rooted for the Eagles because they had not won it all since 1960. The fact that they lost their all-star quarterback late in the season also made the "under dog" image appealing.

• Options

That N.E. Pat's team that went undefeated, but lost the SB was a MUCH better team than that 1972 Miami team.

It's not even close!

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Bills. They dominated in ways few teams did on both sides of the ball. The Super Bowl is just one game. Look what they did to the Houston Oilers. I lost some money on that game, and wash spouting trash to a couple of friends that went with the Bills. I sure heard about it in the second half.

thefinn
  • Options

The Bills were not that good they played in a weaker Conference. During this time period the NFC was far superior to the AFC. A lot of these years the NFC Championship Game was the Super Bowl...…. Usually between S.F. and Dallas. I had a standing bet with an AFC fan in a lot of those years where I took S,F. and Dallas and gave him all the other teams for the Super Bowl...…… and I won! Really pi$$ed him off! I loved it!

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    That N.E. Pat's team that went undefeated, but lost the SB was a MUCH better team than that 1972 Miami team.

It's not even close!

Obviously. Back in 1972 the players were much smaller and slower. They could not compete with modern, well coached, properly nutritioned athletes. I doubt they could hang with the 2017 Browns. The only player from long ago that could get into a time machine and play today and be recognized as the best current as well as the best ever player is Jim Brown.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:

@DIMEMAN said:

It's not even close!

Obviously. Back in 1972 the players were much smaller and slower. They could not compete with modern, well coached, properly nutritioned athletes. I doubt they could hang with the 2017 Browns. The only player from long ago that could get into a time machine and play today and be recognized as the best current as well as the best ever player is Jim Brown.

Exactly why nobody should say he was better than Barry Sanders! You knew someone had to bring a Barry Sanders name into this thread LOL

• Options

@Brick said:

@DIMEMAN said:

It's not even close!

Not for just the reasons stated, but their competition was way less. If I recall the records for the teams they played that year was barely over .500. Plus it was a 14 game season.

It makes me laugh when someone now starts getting close to an undefeated season and they start doing the great Miami watch thing...…… like they were so great....LOL!!

• Options

Let’s not sleep on the 72 Dolphins, I mean I can’t stand Don Shula BUT any NFL team going undefeated is a remarkable feat and deserves respect, obviously last years Alabama team would probably beat them but at that time back in ‘72 they were great.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Let’s not sleep on the 72 Dolphins, I mean I can’t stand Don Shula BUT any NFL team going undefeated is a remarkable feat and deserves respect, obviously last years Alabama team would probably beat them but at that time back in ‘72 they were great.

<<< obviously last years Alabama team would probably beat them but at that time back in ‘72 they were great. >>>

What????? LOL

Paul if i've told you once, i've told you a thousand times, ya gotta lay off those giant size, double-martinis at lunch. LOL

• Options

I’m kinda joking but really last year’s Cleveland Browns team would destroy that ‘72 team. Tell ya this much maybe not the ‘72 team but last years Alabama team would have beaten any team that Jim Brown was on. That I’m not joking about

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2018 4:59PM

I just got my Ancestry.com results back. Seems perkdog and I are related afterall. Paul, see you at Aunt Nellies Family Reunion and Turkey Shoot in the Fall

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Mark I will bring the Beers you bring the Steak Tips :p

• Options

I think I need a drink...….. wait I have one...…. carry on. B)

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I’m kinda joking but really last year’s Cleveland Browns team would destroy that ‘72 team. Tell ya this much maybe not the ‘72 team but last years Alabama team would have beaten any team that Jim Brown was on. That I’m not joking about

Sorry. Wrong again. The only team Jim Brown was on that last years Alabama team could defeat in a game of football is Jim Browns lacrosse team.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

T> @perkdog said:

The Jets would still have found a way to lose..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    I just got my Ancestry.com results back. Seems perkdog and I are related afterall. Paul, see you at Aunt Nellies Family Reunion and Turkey Shoot in the Fall

m

Any of you bastiges on here find out you're related to me, i'm going to deny it with all my heart.

That is unless you say stevek, in honor of being together with the family, i'd like to give ya a PSA 9, 52 Mantle as a gift. Then i'd say, "Welcome to the family." B)

• Options

@Brick said:

@perkdog said:

Sorry. Wrong again. The only team Jim Brown was on that last years Alabama team could defeat in a game of football is Jim Browns lacrosse team.

Ralph your a good guy, but I feel that your not in tune with much of the realistic points made about this topic. Last years Alabama team put together some amazing athletes that were NFL caliber players that would out run, out bench press, out block and flat out destroy a bunch of part time 1950’s and 1960’s football players. Maybe those guys were larger than life heroes to you back then but they would not be in the same class as today’s athletes. FACT

• Options
    edited July 30, 2018 5:44PM

@perkdog said:

@Brick said:

@perkdog said:

Ralph your a good guy, but I feel that your not in tune with much of the realistic points made about this topic. Last years Alabama team put together some amazing athletes that were NFL caliber players that would out run, out bench press, out block and flat out destroy a bunch of part time 1950’s and 1960’s football players. Maybe those guys were larger than life heroes to you back then but they would not be in the same class as today’s athletes. FACT

Probably so, but that is a broad statement. Some of those part timers might fare better than you think today. ;)

• Options
    edited July 30, 2018 5:49PM

Look, my best friend is an Athlettic director and former high school coach who has many connections to guys that work in the NFL, ie: “Fudgie” Tom Brady’s bodyguard who I have personally hung out with, another guy that worked in the NFL as a trainer and fitness program guy and they all agree that today’s athletes are at a level that is beyond what most of us can even remotely understand. The science behind these programs that get these guys at the level they are at is just insane.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Look, my best friend is an Athlettic director and former high school coach who has many connections to guys that work in the NFL, ie: “Fudgie” Tom Brady’s bodyguard who I have personally hung out with, another guy that worked in the NFL as a trainer and fitness program guy and they all agree that today’s athletes are at a level that is beyond what most of us can even remotely understand. The science behind these programs that get these guys at the level they are at is just insane.

I know what you are saying perk and believe you......all is good. I have the same feeling about MLB and Babe Ruth, but that falls on deaf ears. If you know what I mean. ;)

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2018 6:17PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

I know what you are saying perk and believe you......all is good. I have the same feeling about MLB and Babe Ruth, but that falls on deaf ears. If you know what I mean. ;)

Jon, you can downplay Babe Ruth all you want, just make sure you never, ever say anything negative about the 2nd or 3rd best 3B of all time, George Brett.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, and my High School team could have beaten the Neanderthal All-Stars because they couldn't even read the playbook!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

Jon, you can downplay Babe Ruth all you want, just make sure you never, ever say anything negative about the 2nd or 3rd best 3B of all time, George Brett.

I wouldn't dare get in on that argument! I'm over 150 reply's behind on that thread and don't plan to revisit it. :o

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was joking the other day that 1970s and craig might be the same person but its becoming clear to me that they are both Glicker alts.

Ever notice that all three of them never appear in the same place?

Spooky ain't it?

• Options

Craig hasn’t posted much really

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Craig hasn’t posted much really

Don't get Craig started on the value of relief pitchers! :o