Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Interesting Bag From The Antique Mall

cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was at one of the local antique malls this afternoon, and this caught my eye because it had the word 'COIN' on it and looked old. It isn't a typical coin bag, as it's flat and has 3 'channels' in it. It's made of canvas and has 'FOR MONEY ORDER BUSINESS ONLY U.S. MAIL COIN'. It measures 11" X 7".

I know what it says, but how exactly was it used?

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Comments

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed it is!

• Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

@cmerlo1 said:

It was used by the US Mail Service to hold coins for their money order business.

;)

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are those 3 slots for coins? Very cool bag.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would those pockets hold rolled coins?

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool !!! B)

Timbuk3
  • Options

@GRANDAM said:
    Would those pockets hold rolled coins?

That's what I'm stumped on... it just doesn't seem like an effective way to transport coins.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe a way to hold coins of different denominations so they don't have to be sorted later

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just guessing from the picture- It looks as if Morgans or Peace Dollars are meant to be slid into the slots and they would stack by themselves. Again, just a guess assuming the half-moon slots are dollar coin sized.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that is different.... Have not seen that type of bag before. It looks (to me) as if it were supposed to hold rolled coins...JMO... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cmerlo1 said:
    I was at one of the local antique malls this afternoon, and this caught my eye because it had the word 'COIN' on it and looked old. It isn't a typical coin bag, as it's flat and has 3 'channels' in it. It's made of canvas and has 'FOR MONEY ORDER BUSINESS ONLY U.S. MAIL COIN'. It measures 11" X 7".

Wayyy cool !!!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is fascinating to think that many decades ago the people who carried these knew exactly what they were for and how to use them. but here we are in 2018 and we have to speculate. At some point its exact use became obsolete or a new process was designed, and after that the very reason for this canvas bag's existence began to fade into obscurity.

There are probably countless other examples of this phenomenon as well. Hanging in my garage when moved in (into the house, not the garage) was what I think is an old tool used to tighten laces on ice skates or roller skates. It was probably familiar to most people a few generations ago but now is a mystery to most.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

a keeper for sure. a nice pick up indeed

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting...I would have snagged the bag too...if the price was right.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭

Very interesting, I would have bought it also.

I wonder if they used this to keep the Cash collected from Money order sales separate from the cash collected for sales of postage. Reconciling the cash, stamps, and money orders in a busy post office must have been both difficult and time consuming in the days before computers.

Just a guess.

• Options

Thanks, everyone- some good, logical theories here for sure. It makes sense that it would keep different denomination coins separate, but there's no way to seal it, making it unsafe to transport, I think. Perhaps these were filled with coins and a quantity of these were put in a special container for transport, of transport was even necessary...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file