Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Want a free Big Mac? Get the commemorative coin.

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oy

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

Mintage minimum 6.2 million

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember when the gas stations gave coins away. I won a set of them in bronze many years ago.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

My college lunch three days a week in 1973 was 2 BigMacs, large fry, and chocolate shake for $2.15 or so. Now you can't buy half a Big Mac for that.

Don't care about the coins, but interesting anyway.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I have to get a coin to run to the toilet? I thought that only happened in some parts of Europe. :p

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d rather eat the coin

M

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh god. "The '10s".

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

So they're not giving the coins out for free, you have to buy a murder burger to get a coin, then you have to buy a belly bomb to get the second one if you have a coin. All you need to do is give up your cholesterol levels, increase your salt intake and adjust your bowel movements. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know where I'll be eating Thursday. McD's is my guilty pleasure :D

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Big Mac is the worst value at McD. I never order one unless it is heavily discounted. I will try on August 2nd just for the coin.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Maybe DCarr can restrike it into a Chuck E Cheese token.

You, Sir, have won the Internet!!!!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well... I am not a McD's fan (though I sometimes grab the egg/sausage mcmuffin when in need of a fast breakfast)... However, for a coin, maybe I will grab a Big Mac... :D;) Since I am close to Woodstock, get one of the 70's Flower Power coins...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's a meme??

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such negativity. I think it is fun and could be great for the hobby. Many so-called dollars were nothing but promotional gimmicks.

I may have to try and buy a complete set on eBay once they are out there.

I wish more business would use tokens for promotional gimmicks. So much more fun, and collectible, than paper coupons.

Dear McDonald's, please give us McMuffin Wooden Nickels next month!

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    would be great to get all 5. I usually just get the coke for a dollar and eat somewhere else, guess I will go for the mac to get a coin on Aug. 2nd

Does anyone know a McDonald's employee? Maybe they can slip us some. :smile:

• Options

They appear to be brass-colored plastic.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going for one on Thursday. >:)

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a friend on this board, I won't name any names, but his initials are @Aethelred :D who has never had one!
    Oh, the humanity! :D

:)

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a HHL on the 1st day?

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Type2 said:

I am going to guess that your stomach and digestive system will be setting the limit....

• Options
    ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe I will get the coin and the BigMac encased in lucite, get it embossed with Ronald McDonald’s signature and sell it at ANA!

• Options
    Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Doesn't PCGS grade and encapsulate tokens? I can envision labels with the Hamburglar, Ronald, Grimace and Mayor McCheese.

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2018 12:24PM

Will we get an opportunity for First day certification by a major TPG ( hopefully PCGS but those guys across the Street might do). A variety of labels might be fun also - Hamburglar, Ronald, Gimace, Birdie, Capt Crooke , and anyone else even .

Will " Next time Dimes " start hopping and popping on ebay now?

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not mind collecting these tokens. I guess I can start on the 2nd.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they were 90% coin silver Mac Quarters they would be worth about $3. So why not do it right and say free silver quarter for 4 Big Macs or a $15 or greater purchase for example. I would actually buy food at McD's for the first time in the past 40 years.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coins that don't have any greasy fingerprints all over them will command a premium some day.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Well... I am not a McD's fan (though I sometimes grab the egg/sausage mcmuffin when in need of a fast breakfast)... However, for a coin, maybe I will grab a Big Mac... :D;) Since I am close to Woodstock, get one of the 70's Flower Power coins...Cheers, RickO

The 60's were the flower power age , the age of Aquarius. All the 70's gave us was disco.

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

i loved the days when a big mac had a thin white cardboard paper ring around it then wrapped in a silvery looking paper/foil wrapping, early 70's when a big mac was a big deal

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2018 3:01PM

@Type2 said:

Hopefully not for this guy.....25 Big Macs in 22 minutes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ0uDYdpHfs

• Options
    ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭

@PipestonePete said:

@Type2 said:

Hopefully not for this guy.....25 Big Macs in 22 minutes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ0uDYdpHfs

I hope there is not a you tube video showing how much time he ended up spending in the bathroom! Gross!

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seeing all the pictured Big Macs has made me hungry ... but for a

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Mickey D was up over a dollar today with the market down 144. :)

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this like the Bennie Baby special maybe a Bennie Baby trading cards!

• Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was thinking about cornering the market on these but haven't tried doing anything like that since trying to corner the "Silver Surfer" quarter market and I'm afraid my result would be the same. :(

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will look for any "error" pieces. Maybe some will slip out the "back door" where they are being "minted".

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

A little music to get in the mood - - Mac Sabbath - "Frying Pan"

It helps to know of the old ads in the 1970's. Also helps to have bad taste in food and music like me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1wkfJY3AZM

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

i heard that if you get a double struck one you'll get 2 macs free. thats what i heard

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. Not much on "coins" commem-ing junk food.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should be better than last year's WhopperCoin. The MacCoin's mintage will be around 6.2 million. I can't help to see these as nothing more than tokens. I certainly wouldn't call it a coin, unless they made them out of silver!!!!!!!!

• Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file