Home Precious Metals
Options

Question about ASE premiums

thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

When purchasing BU examples of regular bullion ASEs, which years should command an extra premium?

Comments

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

1996 for sure. Others obviously will if they are graded.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

For raw BU ASEs, I don't know that any of them besides the 1996 have additional premiums over what the market dictates. The condition of coins always matters, but there is always give & take between the buyer vs. the seller - so it depends.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on who you talk to. I have had some interesting PM's about premiums on various dates in the past. There definitely is a segment of the coin collecting community that put a premium on various dates in addition to the 96.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

The lowest mintages are I think 94-98. Depending on who you deal with they may bring a small premium. Of course there is the 96 the so called key. None are "rare" at all. Some like Apmex really charge much more for those dates. Other than the 96 when you try to sell them you probably should expect to be offered regular ASE prices.

• Options
    shinywhiteshinywhite Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

'96 is the only one that is known as a "key date"

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

go to a coin show and see ASE's from the 80's and 90's in cardboard flips priced up to $40 and labeled as "rare" "L@@K " . If you can get them for the same price somewhere always buy the older dates and have a sharpie ready you might get $40 for them some day too.

None are rare but there are years with mintages over 40 million so if you are going to hold on for 30 years who knows how they will be viewed by future suckers

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1996 ASE does command a premium... low mintage (comparatively) of 3 million+...So not really rare, but still commands value on the market. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Thank you for all the responses. I have started filling an album with BU examples and I don't want to overpay.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 94 can be tough, but with patience, you can buy it reasonably.

• Options

There are several years that will come with premiums but none are "rare" or impossible to obtain

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

1996 is lowest mintage but at over 3,600,000 it is far from low. I personally don't pay any extra premium on a bullion ASE based on its mintage.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

I am putting together an album of them by year. For some reason the PM bug has bit me, again. It's been years since I even looked at ASEs.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    I am putting together an album of them by year. For some reason the PM bug has bit me, again. It's been years since I even looked at ASEs.

You can buy the album (Dansco) already put together. Of course, that isnt any fun!

• Options

@shinywhite said:

@thisistheshow said:

You can buy the album (Dansco) already put together. Of course, that isnt any fun!

Very true! I have nothing against purchasing a complete set. And specifically talking about ASEs, buying a set doesn't necessarily cost much more than putting it together.

But I just like filling those album holes one by one!