Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

British Kings "Bullet Book, Charles I, The English Civil War Period, 1642 - 1649

1646 Emergency Period Newark Shilling

• This shilling was made during the siege of Newark during the English Civil War. These pieces were made for the forces that were loyal to King Charles I.

• The odd shape reflected efficiency. Round coins left webbing, which had to be melted and processed into the sheets. These rhombus shaped coins left very little, if any, scrap which reduced the number steps that were necessary to process the silver alloy into coinage.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oliver Cromwell, portrait attributed to Anthony van Dyke.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2018 11:16AM

Anthony Van Dyck died late 1641, after a long illness. Frankly, Oliver Cromwell was not a socially prominent person while Van Dyck was working.

Also, @BillJones has a nice piece from the siege of Newark, quite nice!

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    Anthony Van Dyck died late 1641, after a long illness. Frankly, Oliver Cromwell was not a socially prominent person while Van Dyck was working.

Also, @BillJones has a nice piece from the siege of Newark, quite nice!

The Newark piece is fairly nice, but it does have a mark below the date that could have kept it from getting a grade. Heritage couldn’t sell it at auction so they offered it at a price well below $2,000, and I bought it. The coin has good color and the details are nice for this sort of thing. I’ve seen other examples offered or sold for a lot more than I paid.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really can't see an objectionable mark, but I am hardly an expert in coins from the English Civil Wars.

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shilling. Newark siege coinage, dated 1646. SCBC 3143.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com