Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Question about verdigris on old coppper

hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
edited July 28, 2018 4:12PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I just got back into collecting and was recently looking through all of my coins with a loupe. I was alarmed to find out there is a small amount of verdigris that has started growing on my 1690 "Gun Money" Half Crown. Without using the loupe, you can't tell that it is there unless you know where to look (it is very small).

Is there a way to remove this without harming the coin? Should I just keep it as-is since it is small and doesn't really detract from the eye appeal of the coin?

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about you soak the coin in distilled water for a few days to see if you can neutralize surface contaminants. Read up on what verdigris is and what that means. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2018 5:13PM

If it is the soft oily verdigris, then acetone will take it right off with a couple short dips, then rinsing with distilled water. It won't hurt circulated copper, bronze or silver at all .. DON'T use a brush; just soft dabs with a soft cotton cloth. If it's the hard green powdery/flaky stuff, then regardless whether you get the green off or not, you will have a spot/mark there where it starts to corrode the metal.

• Options
    hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2018 5:25PM

@Namvet69 said:
    How about you soak the coin in distilled water for a few days to see if you can neutralize surface contaminants. Read up on what verdigris is and what that means. Peace Roy

I will consider this. I can't imagine it hurting the coin. I have read online where people recommend baking soda, soda ash and distilled water, but I was not sure if that could cause any adverse affects on circulated copper.

@syl said:
    If it is the soft oily verdigris, then acetone will take it right off with a couple short dips, then rinsing with distilled water. It won't hurt circulated copper, bronze or silver at all .. DON'T use a brush; just soft dabs with a soft cotton cloth. If it's the hard green powdery/flaky stuff, then regardless whether you get the green off or not, you will have a spot/mark there where it starts to corrode the metal.

From my quick search, it looks like acetone is usually used for treating PVC. I have never been able to tell the difference between PVC and verdigris. My coin was in a plastic flip for the last 10 years (I only recently moved it to mylar) and I have heard those flips can cause PVC issues. My main concern would be whether acetone could have any negative affect on the coin. Based on your response, it sounds like it will not.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pure acetone is an organic solvent that evaporates completely. It is flammable so ventilate and no plastic containers, lids or utensils. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2018 10:24AM

The soft oily vergiris is USUALLY caused by PVC, as it interacts with the copper, but it can be there from other contaminants as well. The lighter green hard, flaky, powdery stuff usually leaves behind pitting or discoloration even if you get the green off. Acetone, as I said, works well, but breathe the stuff in much .. ventilate. Although fingernail polish remover is mostly acetone, it many times has other ingredients. Just go to the hardware store and get a pint or quart .. it has many uses, is cheaper, and lasts a long time.