Home Precious Metals

Coin shop theft

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin Shop Theft

The following theft occurred at Mr. Coin in Conyers, Georgia by two hispanic males.

The victim describes the incident below:

Two hispanic males arrived at the shopseeking fifteen gold coins for big celebration tomorrow. Will be used to make coin vest (showed pictures of their cultural practice). Price no concern (especially true since they planned to steal!). Asked that we pull coins out of boxes and place in bag but wanted all boxes/containers placed in a box. Gave us a wad of cash to count (building trust that it was a real deal) which totaled $4900. Total of purchase far exceeding that so we were given a deposit of $500 and asked to hold the merchandise until they could return with funds. Bag of coins were placed in box with empty boxes and we were asked to seal box with tape. As employee turned away to pick up tape dispenser, one turned the box around so the bag was closer, shuffled ("rearranged") the contents removing a box and the bag of coins to the counter...with the bag under the empty box. He then slid the bag off the counter and into his back pocket (left hand) while replacing the box ( right hand) and closing the box flaps. It took less than five seconds. They then assured us they would return in about 45 minutes... I anticipated a scam but sincerely thought we had the gold and their $500....and that the scam attempt was yet to come. When they did not return in about two hours, we opened the box and discovered the theft.

Stolen Coins:

(1) 1980 1-oz Gold Krugerrand in 2x2 cardboard Mylar
(1)1902-S $20-Gold Liberty in 2x2 cardboard Mylar
(1) 1993 $10-American Gold Eagle, unc., in 2x2 cardboard Mylar
(2) 2007 "First Spouse: Jefferson" 1/2-oz gold proof, both no box/cert, one is in 2x2 cardboard Mylar, the other is in original capsule
(1) 1975 Panama 100-Balboa (.2316-oz gold) Proof in 2x2 cardboard Mylar
(2) 2014 3/4-oz gold Kennedy Commemorative, both in original capsules with no box/cert
(2) 2016 1/2-oz gold Walking Liberty Commemorative, both in original capsules with no box/cert
(1) 1904-S PCGS MS61 $20-Liberty
(1) 1924 MS63 $20-Saint Gaudens PCGS# 9177.63/21403699 {NOTE: THIS IS THE MOST IDENTIFIABLE COIN. PLEASE WATCH FOR IT}
(1) 2006 1-oz Gold Buffalo, Proof, no box/cert, in original capsule

Anyone with information should contact:

Doug Davis
817-723-7231
Doug@numismaticcrimes.org

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

:s Nasty.... but very well set up operation... these guys have operated before... there should be some history at other places....Look for them to show up again (at other locations) if not apprehended... Cheers, RickO

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2018 11:47AM

Notify your local dealer. Edited to add just called mine, he thanked me for the heads up.

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am showing coins to a customer, and need to get something off the back table, I always pick up what is out and move it off the table/case until I get situated again. Just a habit from seeing too much pocketing.
    Good luck, and at least no one got hurt.

thefinn
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrible !!! :s

Timbuk3
  • KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2018 11:31AM

I think this is a case of the greed factor causing the coin dealer off guard & become an easy target.
    Turn it around & ask if the customers wanted to buy one or two gold coins and haggled on pricing, would the dealer go through the hassle of removing the coins etc.?
    Unless they were major professional athletes or celebrities like MJ, etc, “price is no concern” is NOT in their vocabulary.

Case closed.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some real questions were asked raising some suspicions on this shop: https://www.goldismoney2.com/threads/coin-shop-theft.194497/#post-1426895

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess insurance scam is a possibility. The story is strange.