Comments

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JWP said:

Who?

• Options

@JWP said:

Is there really an owl that gets this large?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is exactly why I hoard toilet paper. :#

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 19,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2024 12:52PM

@Tibor said:

@JWP said:

Who?

Weird Science with Kelly LeBrock & Michael Hall. It is a funny movie too.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

Big brother looking after Little brother

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

Air-conditioned Lawn mower

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2024 1:33AM

@1northcoin said:
    For this Friday's posting, here are the promised photos from this week's visit to Japan's Imperial Palace grounds in Tokyo.

By way of historical reference, the site of today's Imperial Palace which houses the Emperor was once Edo Castle, where the Tokugawa Shoguns ruling Japan during the Edo period resided. With the transformation of power to the Emperor when the Samurai Period came to an end, in 1868 Emperor Meiji brought the royal court here from Kyoto where the former Emperors had lived for over 1,000 years.

The Imperial Palace is surrounded by a moat and 8 gates. Entry through one of those gates requires invitation much like a visit to the White House. One can submit application and a lottery is held for reserved tickets. In addition some are allowed non reserved entry after a screening process that includes submission of one's passport. On days when visitors are allowed, the number are limited to 300 in the morning and 300 in the afternoon. We fell into the later category and it helped that there was less competition due to it being a rainy day.

The Imperial Palace was rebuilt after its 1945 burning during World War II although an administrative building on the grounds that had been built in 1935 survived and its third floor housed the Emperor until the rebuilding was completed in 1968.

First pictured below are views of Fujimi-yagura, the Edo period Keep and then Watch Tower, that is one of the older remnants of Edo Castle.

Extending from the Imperial Palace's Chowaden Hall is a structure reaching toward Fushima-yaguru, a keep that is claimed to have been moved to Edo Castle from Kyoto by a Shogun in the early 1600s.

Just below Fushima-yaguru is Seimon-tetsubashi Bridge. Standing on this bridge and looking over its iron work side, my photograph pictures a larger bridge known as Meganebashi or Eyeglass Bridge. The double arches create an eyeglass effect, especially when reflected in the water.

Of note, these bridges and the Fushima-yaguru keep can be seen without having to enter through a gate into the grounds of the Imperial Palace - although from the outside looking in, rather from the inside looking out as in my photo.

Added:

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clara Bow

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

@JWP said:

The U.S.S. Enterprise looks different on "Star Trek".

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JWP said:

Love that! :D

@rnkmyer1 said:
    August 21, 2017

Taken @ the South Carolina State Museum, Columbia SC. It was the first total solar eclipse that crossed the entire continental US in 99 years. Also was on my birthday! Very cool & one of the most (if not the most) spectacular sights I’ve ever seen! At our location, totality was 2 minutes, 20 seconds. I shot this at about the 1 minute mark.

That is very cool! I took these pictures on that same day in Black Mountain, North Carolina. It wasn’t as direct of an eclipse there, but it was partially:
    This one was shot through that dark filter held over my phone

This was just a normal picture:

• Options

• Options

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options

• Options

• Options

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JWP said:

I wonder what it's paved with.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@JWP said:

I wonder what it's paved with.

Good intentions, of course! :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

• Options

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JWP said:

I have been down that trail twice.

• Options

Traversing one of the world's longest pedestrian suspension bridges, Hakone Seiroku Mishima Suspension Bridge. Built to maximize views of Mount Fuji and to provide access to a recreational theme park, its 2015 completion represents the most recently completed major attraction in Japan subsequent to the 2012 Tokyo Skytree, the tallest self standing tower in the world.

As Japan's and Asia's longest pedestrian suspension bridge at 400 meters (1,300 feet) it exceeds the once world's longest Kokonoe footbridge also in Japan. Switzerland and Portugal have slightly longer bridges but the Czech Republic lays claim to the world's longest at over 2,000 feet.

Marketed as the Mishima Skybridge it was built at a cost of 4 billion yen (26.4 million dollars.). Securely bolted into the rims of a canyon it can hold the weight of 70 Jumbo Jets.

Views from the bridge:

• Options
    Married2CoinsMarried2Coins Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

This request is not directed to anyone in particular and I sincerely hope it does not discourage more of the great images found in this thread. These are two examples. I really enjoy the photos but I believe it is customary to provide a location at the least. This unsatisfied curiosity interferes with my enjoyment of the photo. If the photo is copied from another photographer a mention or a link to their original work would be nice so we can enjoy more of their images.

@JWP said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

• Options

@silverpop said:
    a old black and white photo of my mom when she was younger (would of been 81 this year)

A beautiful lady.

• Options

• Options

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@golden said:

@JWP said:

I have been down that trail twice.

How many times did you come back up ? :*

Came back up on the elevator both times.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

ND Malaysia 10 ringgit which i got in 1997 from my overseas trip in change

• Options

The USS Kennedy CV67

• Options
    edited April 7, 2024 7:22PM

Japan's Loch Ness Monster and its Castle

Lake Ashi in Hakone Japan is home to a Nine-Headed Dragon who legend has it once threatened the villagers. To appease the Dragon who was believed to be responsible for recurring natural disasters it was decided that a sacrifice must be made. A white feathered arrow was shot up into the air and on whichever house it landed the daughter of that house would be offered. To this day a common Japanese expression for making a choice by lottery is, "Send up a white feathered arrow."

Apparently a Monk intervened and cursed the dragon leading it to be chained to an underwater rock formation. Somehow this nullified the bad dragon and it became a good dragon offering protection to the villagers. In 1988, which like the current year, was the year of the dragon a shrine was erected and today offerings of steamed rice and red beans are offered to this protective spirit/diety.

In further homage to the Nine-Headed Dragon of Lake Ashi, the Dragon Castle was built in recent years. This 6-story structure is a caged adventure park/obstacle course containing rope bridges, nets, monkey bars, climbing trees, and even an extended walking beam with a bell to ring at its end. There is also a suspended picnic table on a top tier.

Lake Ashi, under whose waters the Nine-Headed Dragon allegedly dwells:

The Nine-Headed Dragon:

The Dragon Castle:

An adventure park ticket package that includes admission to multiple attractions including the Dragon Castle:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file