Home U.S. Coin Forum

Random picture thread for Friday

Comments

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

how do you make milk shakes and cheeseburgers with love?

this is a good start. ;)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• JWPJWP Posts: 21,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin said:
    Alas, there was no Turkey on the menu for this year's Thanksgiving.

Have just returned from a return to Japan (where turkey is for all practical purposes unavailable)) which was prompted by its reopening to tourists after a three year hiatus.

For our Thanksgiving day meal we scheduled a Tokyo Food Tour that originated at the Kabuki Theatre in the Ginza District. As pictured, the first tasting was of an ornate rice cracker from an establishment that had perfected their unique offerings from over 200 years at their shop. The product was almost too artistic to eat. This was followed by a sampling of curry pan (bread) and then it was off to a hidden side street udon shop that also had a storied past and which hand made its own udon noodles. The "main dish" was at another hidden locale in a basement setting that featured Okinawan dishes which included a pasta soaked in squid ink that required the donning of lobster style bibs to prevent inadvertently t staining one's clothing. The final food stop was dessert after a lengthy walk that extended beyond Ginza into neighboring districts.

Captured photographs apart from the food aspect of the tour included night scenes of Ginza from both street level and atop the GSIX (Ginza 6-chome) rooftop garden from which both Tokyo Tower and the world's tallest tower structure, Skytree, could be seen. Of note, as evident in my photo, Skytree was lit up in the colors of Japan's soccer team honoring their just completed win over Germany. There was even a visit to a below street level one-mile long parking "streambroget" that had been constructed in conjunction with the original Tokyo Olympics. It was noted for its array of exotic cars, including Ferraries and Lamborghinies, parked there.

An added bonus was a photo opportunity that came from an unexpected encounter as we crossed a Ginza street just as a wedding party was coming toward us. Sometimes getting that "money shot" just comes from being in the right place at the right time.

And here are some added Tokyo views including Tokyo Tower and the Japanese Diet Building:

And for the travel:

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• justindanjustindan Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2022 4:13PM

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2022 4:26PM

@OAKSTAR said:

Allrightythen............ :D

Or if you prefer felines............

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin said:

@JWP said:

Just returned from Japan's Lake Kawaguchi and on first glance that sure looked like a view of Mount Fuji from there.

Here is my comparative photo of Mount Fuji as viewed from just off the shore of Lake Kawaguchi from just a week ago:

@LCS said:
    Here is my custom built 1965/2003 Mustang fastback.

My brother and I took 2 Mustangs, manufactured about 50 years apart, cut them into about 1,000 pieces and welded them back together into one car. We fabricated our own carbon fiber body panels as well as everything else used in the construction of the car. The car weighs about 2,900 lbs and produces 650 RWHP. The entire project was designed and built by the 2 of us and took about 3 total years to complete.

It runs like a bat outa Hell, and we eat Lamborghinis for lunch. :-)

Would you care to race my Farmall cub tractor. It's got a solid 13 HP.

That's a killer car!

@asheland said:
    I visited Rutherfordton Saturday:

Where my gold dollar was minted:

and likely the gold was mined locally as well!

Hard to believe he minted 2.24 million in gold coins. What great history in the south.

edited December 6, 2022 6:12PM

@JWP said:

Jeramy Wade - And in that episode the Goliath Tiger Fish ended up dying - dissapointing.

edited December 6, 2022 6:15PM

@JWP said:

>

Just gotta ask -- Is this a selfie :D:#

@Steven59 said

>

@JWP said:

Cool.

Here is a photo I took of the Home Alone Church this fall. The house is in a different and somewhat distant Chicago suburb so the walk to the church did not exactly occur as filmed.

Also the pictured snow is fake as confirmed to me by an area resident who observed the filming. I saw a subsequent Home Alone House from one of the sequels and the whole street was plastered with fake snow.

Added Home Alone trivia. I recently met an actor from the original film who played the role of the store keeper. In the trailer he has a speaking role which you can still see on the internet. In the film his words were cut but he is still in the movie. Despite not having a speaking role in the film itself he still gets residuals just as though he had. He also qualified for and maintains membership in SAG (Screen Actors Guild). Although retired now, his day job was an attorney in Chicago.

(When it comes to residuals, having a speaking role is significant. My daughter-in-law had a speaking role on an episode of Hawaii Five-0 and she continues to get residuals. I had a non-speaking role on another episode of Hawaii Five-0 and I don't.)

@1northcoin said:
    A haiku I composed which was inspired by the early morning views as captured by my camera while at Japan's Lake Kawaguchi (which is located at the base of Mount Fuji ) this past week:

The morning mist lifts

Mirrored reflections emerge

My soul too awakens

As an added point of interest, the above photos were taken on the morning of this year's Mount Fuji Marathon. In the seventh photo the small boat is positioned to monitor and/or film the upcoming runners.

In the eighth (second to last) photo one can see the runners as the marathon was underway.