Home U.S. Coin Forum

Old leather California fractional wallet

SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excuse the lousy photos. When I was a kid I bought a bg222 California quarter cheap with a small hole in it. It came with an old wallet for fractionals. I am more interested in the wallet. Anyone seen one?

Comments

• tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭

I have never seen one

The wallet is really cool!

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't say that I have. That's a small one.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The wallet appears to be leather and it needs proper care - it's drying out.

(PS: shooting photos through an empty Coke bottle is an interesting technique.)
    ;)

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:

(PS: shooting photos through an empty Coke bottle is an interesting technique.)
    ;)

Actually a photography loupe. Can you recommend a way to refurbish the leather and is it even worth fooling with?

I don't know about "value," but it looks interesting. Any place that sells/repairs good leather shoes or riding apparel should be able to help.

(I did not know Coke made loops....I'll have to check the pantry.) Just kidding. :)

@RogerB said:
    I don't know about "value," but it looks interesting. Any place that sells/repairs good leather shoes or riding apparel should be able to help.

(I did not know Coke made loops....I'll have to check the pantry.) Just kidding. :)

Thanks, I will check into that.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would soak it in a good furniture polish, let that soak in.
    It works great on old book bindings

Frank

BHNC #203

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder if this coin was stored in it, thus getting the awesome color...

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

About 60 years ago I would use , leather bomb on my baseball mitt and
    kept it very flexible and soft....Not sure if its still available.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are several good leather restoration products... this is a good site... Cheers, RickO
    https://leathermagic.com/our-catalog/

Thanks for the advice. I may try saddle soap. My daughter has horses and lots of saddle leather products. Just don't want to hurt it and make a mistake like cleaning a coin, ruining it thinking I am fixing it. It probably has little value anyway.

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2018 11:58AM

...Cool...Lots of character the way she is IMO...she belongs in a shadow box of a museum...like a nice punch of filé on-top a thinner gumbo ;)

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neatsfoot oil is very good in leather. It was the care product for baseball gloves. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool item.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

The tiny purse is way kewl!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:

;)

I think that ship sailed long ago.........

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is really neat; can't be too many of those around. Awesome!

I've used mink oil on WWII accouterments's. Yet, I'm not certain it would be best for your item. Seek advice from someone who works with/restores leather.

• COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never seen those little wallets. I wouldn't mind finding one and putting some gold coins in it. Pretty neat

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

I put a bit of mink oil on it so it doesn't dry out more, but still looks original. A wee bit.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ahh, I see BillDugan1959 still likes to leave completely off base disagrees... lol.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

+1 for Neatsfoot oil. If you can find it, it is the cat's meow for leather of any kind. :)

RE: "My daughter has horses and lots of saddle leather products."

Sorry to hear of your daughter's affliction. I must report that "horses" are incurable and will be with her forever, even into the sunset! [Great pets, too!] :)

@RogerB said:
    RE: "My daughter has horses and lots of saddle leather products."

Sorry to hear of your daughter's affliction. I must report that "horses" are incurable and will be with her forever, even into the sunset! [Great pets, too!] :)

Yeah, a horse is a bankruptcy starter kit, then it gets worse.

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

That little leather wallet is consistent with a story an acquaintance of mine from Maine recalled. He was the recipient of an inheritance of fractionals from his grandfather (but could have been great grandfather) who was a ship captain from Maine. The captain made many trips down the east coast and eventually to California with the ship to pickup and deliver goods. Remember in those days you had to take the long way around as there was no Panama Canal.

I was able to view some of the fractionals to identify what they were and approximate value. These had been placed in wax paper many years ago and had some light attractive toning from their days in the leather wallet. I asked to see the wallet but that never happened and I never saw any more of the little hoard.

In any event, thanks for sharing the wallet - I enjoyed seeing it.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that is really a neat looking wallet. I've seen a few small wallets before, but never one this small.

Thanks for sharing it.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file