Home Precious Metals

30 years

cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 25, 2018 7:21PM in Precious Metals

Anyone like to add the increase in national debt over the last 30 years? How about how many more American live for free from the Govt? How about listing all the geopolitical issues? Or maybe the biggie--"loss of dollar purchasing power". These are the things that matter to the PM pushers, right?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

Comments

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah yes, ain't it great to be rich in America?

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or poor as hell !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just in case it was missed....the red/black line is the sp500 with dividends reinvested. The green line is gold.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quite impressive since the bailouts. Why go back 30 years? It weakens the argument.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

@jmski52 said:
    Quite impressive since the bailouts. Why go back 30 years? It weakens the argument.

30 years is about all you've been investing for.

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only being 32 myself, I've been contributing to my Army Thrift Savings Plan, the militaries version of a 401K since the age of 18. I've have some amazing gains as I had diversified mostly in high risk funds, Im young why not. In the last year I've selected a more modest approach, as my outlook has changed as to, "how high can it go".

As an FYI, in the last 30 years 317 new companies have been added to the S&P 500. 317 have been removed in the same time of course.

@VanHalen said:
    As an FYI, in the last 30 years 317 new companies have been added to the S&P 500. 317 have been removed in the same time of course.

So. Wouldn't make a difference if 10000 were changed.

@VanHalen said:

You're asking a forum that mostly follows the green line, some vervently. Obviously they wouldn't now.

• TomaToma Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

Seems apples to oranges to me. Notice the volatility of the stocks compared to the consistency of gold. Neither are bad and both have their niche.

@Toma said:
    Seems apples to oranges to me. Notice the volatility of the stocks compared to the consistency of gold. Neither are bad and both have their niche.

The gold chart is very compressed and there actually are many 20% moves. I'll agree with the consistency--although I don't view it as positive.

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@VanHalen said:

You're asking a forum that mostly follows the green line, some vervently. Obviously they wouldn't now.

The green line merly shows the value of my savings account, not my investments. I try to explain it that same way to customers that think that gold/silver are the greatest investment vehicle out there. If friends and family ask if now is a good time to buy metals, I start by asking if they have a retirement account setup, as I believe that will hold true as a long term increase in value over their lifetime. Some of the older family members metals can be a good place to "hide" money as they say.

Not saying metals are a bad investment, just that money can be put to better use. Just as risky, but with potential greater long term gains.

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2018 8:39AM

Metals are as good or bad as any other commodity people "invest" in. You can make a fortune, you can lose a fortune.

However, physical metals--gold in particular--are a store of wealth. True, one that is being challenged like they have never been in the last 2,000+ years. But is there another compact, durable, liquid store of wealth that is better? Nope.

Gold will probably come through our digital age unscathed. Especially if there are a few disasters with online banking and digital currency.

There is no doubt that some paper assets have done very well in the last 20 or 30 years. Especially if you pick and choose your charts. But the value of paper dollars has also eroded consistently. And that's just as likely to happen in the future as it has in the past.

"Invest" in physical metals at your own peril. Omit physical gold from your portfolio at your own peril.

See what I did there? :)

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/27/venezuelan-inflation-predicted-to-hit-1-million-percent-this-year.html

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame

@Weiss said:
    Metals are as good or bad as any other commodity people "invest" in. You can make a fortune, you can lose a fortune.

However, physical metals--gold in particular--are a store of wealth. True, one that is being challenged like they have never been in the last 2,000+ years. But is there another compact, durable, liquid store of wealth that is better? Nope.

Gold will probably come through our digital age unscathed. Especially if there are a few disasters with online banking and digital currency.

There is no doubt that some paper assets have done very well in the last 20 or 30 years. Especially if you pick and choose your charts. But the value of paper dollars has also eroded consistently. And that's just as likely to happen in the future as it has in the past.

"Invest" in physical metals at your own peril. Omit physical gold from your portfolio at your own peril.

See what I did there? :)

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/27/venezuelan-inflation-predicted-to-hit-1-million-percent-this-year.html

LMFAO

edited July 27, 2018 6:52PM

@cohodk said: 30 years is about all you've been investing for

You're off a little bit, but that's okay. I've been in various markets for considerably longer, since 1974 or so. I spent about 15 extremely boring years after 1980, building up my stock funds and riding the tech boom until I started back into metals in 1998 - while I was harvesting some good stock gains for my new house.

That was fortunate, because as I noted before - my speculative stock IRA went to zero in 2000 after the dot.com bust when I wasn't paying attention. That being the case, in 2006 I had a premonition about the housing market finance game, vis a vis the stock market, so I completely divested from stocks in 2007-2008 and avoided losing 1/2 (or more) of my portfolio that way.

So, gimme a break - anything can happen and unless you're a true insider (or work for the banking cartel at a higher level). Most of the time these days, the best you can do is manage your own risk profile and understand what it is you are buying. I know what I've been buying. Weiss alluded to the simple fact that the metals are a store of wealth. Weiss is a wealth creator. So am I - and I totally agree with Weiss. I spend my energies making money at this point - the old fashioned way - by earning it, and not by trying to out-maneuver the rigged stock & bond markets.

And when appropriate, I rescue a batch of dollars that are crying out to be rescued from certain devaluation. Who knows - at some point the fund managers and other movers & shakers in the markets may decide that metals make sense instead of debt instruments that just keep getting more & more diluted while getting funded less & less. If that does happen in my lifetime, boy will I be smart!

If not, these are still real assets. You know, real stuff, not - what's the word? Re-hypothecated? Yeah, that's the word! Simple, simple, simple.

I knew it would happen.
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

-The lobster or the cracked crab?

• What do you think?
    • Can't we have both?
    • Why not!

Loves me some shiny!

@cohodk said:

@VanHalen said:

So. Wouldn't make a difference if 10000 were changed.

I understand. Put in 500 different companies and show 20% annual returns. Wouldn't make a difference.

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate to admit it, but I will.......most of the time I see charts and graphs it just doesn’t mean much to me. As hard as I try, the ensuing debates and stated positions and rationalizations just go over my head. The ticker tape of articles on coin info are mostly pulp fiction written by people hucking their particular position. I disregard them offhand. I would hate to be the guy who has to get up everyday and write those.

One thing I always go back to, I just like gold. I like it’s weight, and feel in my hand, and sometimes, it’s minted nicely. I get a strong feeling from it I don’t get from anything else and it makes me want to buy more or dig it up now and then. Another admission, meeting my financial advisor is a chore and a bore and opening quarterly reports just doesn’t get me excited. It’s not that he isn’t doing his job, he is, and we are involved, but it’s just digital zeros and ones on a piece of paper. I guess were too busy making money and investing it in property and do iras and mutual funds for the tax benefit, gold is for fun. I don’t think about it much harder than that and I’ve never felt bad about it.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Meanwhile, we dig ourselves deeper in debt.( as a nation ) How quaintly irresponsible.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

"By the way, the poop patrolers earn $71,760 a year, which swells to $184,678 with mandated benefits." B)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
    edited August 23, 2018 2:17PM

"By the way, the poop patrolers earn $71,760 a year, which swells to $184,678 with mandated benefits." B)

As long as they don't get typhoid, hepatitis or tuberculosis - they should make out like bandits.

I knew it would happen.