Home Sports Talk
Options

Ted Williams on 'American Masters' tonight.

DarinDarin Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just noticed Mr. Ballgame is on PBS tonight. 8 central to 9.
Will be tuning in.

Comments

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Was it good?

• Options

Yes, it was really good. Wade Boggs, Willie McCovey, and Joey Votto were some
    of the guys who spoke about Ted Williams and what a great hitter he was.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to have missed it... Did they have anyone from the 1969 Senators on that offered thoughts about him as a manager? It would have been interesting to hear from Frank Howard

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

They did mention his stint as manager of the Senators. There were no comments from Frank Howard.
    Apparently Williams made the comment that he had a bunch of .240 hitters who only thought about getting
    laid. He said all he thought about when he was a player was hitting. LOL.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched it. Admired his playing skills and in his service to the country.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2018 2:41PM

Williams had a volatile personality, but that probably went along with his desire to do the things really wanted to better than anyone else. He liked hitting and fly fishing and excelled at both. Everything else, including his relationships with his wives and kids can second. It was interesting that a group of his teammates made a trip to Florida to say goodbye when he was dying, however.

The Boston sportswriters were a brutal bunch. I was not around when William’s biggest nemesis, Dave Eagan, was active, but I heard and read enough from the next generations that followed him. When I moved from the New York area to Boston, I not could believe how frank and tough the Boston commentators were. They made the New York and Philadelphia guys sound like pussy cats. It’s easy to see how guys like that could get to a thin skinned guy like Williams.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just happened to stumble upon it about 20 minutes in. Great stuff!

Daniel
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Williams had played in the modern era, he would have played most of his career with the Yankees, and would have put up even more impressive numbers, given the short right field in Yankee Stadium and the players around him. Imagine Mantle hitting behind Williams are vise versa.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?