Home U.S. Coin Forum

“Dateless” Buffalo Nickels

OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was just at the LCS and asked if I could purchase a dateless buffalo nickel or two to experiment on. The owner took out a roll of buffalo nickels he was willing to sell for 15 cents each and allowed me to search through them after he noted a 23-S with a visible date he allowed me to have for 15 cents.

After some searching, I found a few more dated buffaloes. I found a 13 T1, one 20-D, three 20-S, one 21, one 25, and this coin:

Based on the wavy ribbon I thought this was a 20-S and got it for $0.15, but upon taking it home and examining it closely I found that there was enhanced hair detail. It is a 21-S! Rather dingy condition, but 15 cents for a non-acid 21-S is a heck of a steal. A good hole filler for sure.

Check your dateless buffaloes a little closer, folks.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

Comments

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Other than using acid...what is your recommendation on figuring out the dates?

• OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 527 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hallco said:
    Other than using acid...what is your recommendation on figuring out the dates?

This will help with 20, 21, and 24. Other than that, you just have to see if you can make out digits.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info!

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have several hundred dateless buffalos at the shop. No dealer has the time to search third dateless in such a way and make money doing so. That and there is the trouble of selling buffalos with nearly no date.

Although the hair details tip is new to me, and for that I thank you. I'll be saving that image to my Buff file.

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I learned something today, Thanks

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent information on the hair/ribbon detail... Thank you, learned something already today. Cheers, RickO

• BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had the same thing happen to me last week. Bought a dateless roll of buffs on flea bay. They were guaranteed to be
    at least 8 mint marked and when i looked at the first S mint coin in the roll I immediately knew it was a 21s as I could tell by the fact that the obverse die is unique to the 1921 p and s coins as koynequest has explained above. And when the date was brought out with nic-a-date it was a 21s. a nice ag. One thing not mentioned about the 1921 p and s, on this unique obverse die the two ones in the date both have “notches” or "serifs” to the top left of each numeral while all other dates excepting 1921 have no serifs.
    buffnixx

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2018 9:49AM

On 1921 coins, the knot itself was re-engraved for just that year. Look at the provided pictures and you can instantly see the difference.

The knot on 1921's have detail all the way to AG and below.

I consider 1921 coins to be a one year Type Coin. It is, like 1913 Type I, unique.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here in the first two images are the date positioning differences in the pre-1926 issues and in the 1926 and later issues.
    The second two images show the difference between the hair detail above the braid ribbon of the 1921 issue and all other dates in the series. As Pete says this shows on low grade coins. Even dateless coins can be identified by this feature alone.

1 in the second set of pics is a 1921. However, most issues other than the 1921 will not show this kind of detail in the braid.

Number one, that is. That damn hashtag got me again.

• AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a great thread!!

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am printing this out and sticking it in my CPG. Thank you for that. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Learn something new every day. Went through 2 rolls of dateless I have, found:

1920 - 7
    1921 - 3
    1924 - 2

No mintmarks though.

The 21's were much easier to see with both the wave and the hair detail.

The 20 & 24 are were hard to tell apart for me.

So silly question - I've seen 1916 SLQs certified with no date with the verifiable design difference - and that coin is obviously worth it value-wise at FR2.

Of these dates, the 21s is probably the closest, although it seems even best-case scenario is a break-even. Would PCGS/NGC/ANACS certify any of these without dates based solely on the diagnostics given?

As for the other dates, even if you can ID them, put them in a 2x2 - what do you guys do with these after you cherrypick them? I could throw them into one of my junk bins, but can see customers questioning how I even know what they are. Do you guys set aside the few better ones then nic-a-date them then junk bin them?

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101

If I see one with the correct Mint mark style and position and it's a "D" Mint I'll check it for the 18/17-D. Also an "S" MM with the weak LIBERTY found on 1913 Var 2-1915 for the '13-S Var 2. Other than the 16/16 those are the only dates worth restoring (and restoration isn't needed to identify the '16.)

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

fwiw, i saw a youtube video of a process that seemed better than nic-a-date. gave the whole coin a nice even albeit look by comparison.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can have them for $.15.

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭

"You can have them for $.15"

Delivered? ;)

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭

LanceNewmanOCC: What non-"Nic-a-Date" process did you see on YouTube? I just bought a bunch of dateless Buffalo's to seed in YNs' change, and it might be nice to try & restore some of their dates first, if they'd come out looking nicer than N-a-D's "stained" results.............. Thx!

• StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one seems promising.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FSs2b7Tc-q8

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file