Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Proof or business strike.....date is 1990

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a Lincoln guy and I think this is a business strike but the seller says proof. It's a 1990.
thanks,
bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2018 3:57PM

That's a photo of a cent in a 1990 proof set.

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options

Exactly, no cam contrast. I think the rims are rounded and not squared enough and the AM looks different too.

bob

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me Guess...the seller claims its a no S mint mark 1990 proof cent...yeah, right.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a Proof.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

clearly been switched out, had a guy a few years ago, buy one of these (actually) it was the prestige 1990, came by to have me send it in for him and I broke the news to him it was just a business strike somebody put in there. He was devastated, paid like a 1k for it.

• Options

Here's the back story now: ebay seller who has refunded me completely. He had it up as a no s proof set and a .99 opening bid. I sent him a note and told him to get it graded as it was worth $2,500 to $4,000 if it is what he says. Told him if he didn't want that hassle and wanted a quick grand to let me know. Didn't hear from him for three days and then he sent me a note saying he would do the grand and he cancelled and relisted with a BIN and I paid. Just got the coin set today and saw that it was not a proof (what did I expect, 'eh?). Thought maybe just got lucky but alas no go. I requested a return and sent him pics of a real one. He refunded me immediately.
    I should do more research before I make stupid offers but it did keep someone else from getting taken. Anybody want a business strike UNC 1990p? Keep on look'n, there out there!

• Options

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once again greed raises its evil head.

thefinn
  • Options

@thefinn said:

I'll admit I threw a lowball against the wall, and actually expected a $2K+ counteroffer....I'd have done that too. At least someone with even less Lincoln knowledge won't get burned. Mea culpa.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:

@thefinn said:

I'll admit I threw a lowball against the wall, and actually expected a $2K+ counteroffer....I'd have done that too. At least someone with even less Lincoln knowledge won't get burned. Mea culpa.

I didn't see the photo before, but it does look a bit proof like. I am just saying that for rare stuff in an auction, there are usually a lot of eyeballs looking at them, so they don't usually go for a bargain unless something is fishy, or a problem.

thefinn
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story to learn from, thanks for sharing !!!

Timbuk3
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

JMHO, being concerned about other collectors being ripped off is honorable, risking $1000-$2000 to make that happen is stupid. next time save your money and just send the seller pictures and alert eBay.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lesson learned..but risky... Not a chance I would have taken... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes you wonder how often they get away with that. Probably a lot.

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a double die.......tee heee :smiley:

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2018 10:29AM

I've learnt something from your experience @AUandAG ....luckily the seller willingly worked with you.
    The ONE is out there...being held as a single Proof :/
    I always wondered about those gold date sets in similar holder :|

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2018 12:52PM

Neither. It's a "circulation" strike. All coins are part of the Mint's 'business.'
    ;)

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeesh.

It's easy to find a much nicer and more PL circulation strike.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

@RogerB said:
    Neither. It's a "circulation" strike. All coins are part of the Mint's 'business.'
    ;)

Business has several meanings. To me a business strike is a coin struck for general use in commerce. Proofs do not meet that threshold and thus are not business strikes. Perhaps it's an age difference Roger, after all I'm a couple years younger.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2018 8:54AM

The business of US Mints is to produce coins -- all sorts of coins both for circulation and for collectors (proofs and other variations). If one calls a coin a "business strike" is says nothing about the nature of the coin since ALL coins it manufactures are part of the Mint's business. Using the correct descriptive term will improve clarity for all, Wheedling not allowed. ;)

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file