Home U.S. Coin Forum

Don't be a square...

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

sigh.

Senate bill S.3239 has been introduced.

S.3239 - A bill to require the Secretary of the Treasury to mint commemorative coins in recognition of the 75th anniversary of the integration of baseball.

The text of this bill hasn't been published yet, but coinnews.net is reporting it calls for a SQUARE commemorative (think baseball diamond), in gold, silver and clad.

Square Coins Sought for 75th Anniversary of Integration of Baseball

Hey congress! Let's not go full stupid, okay?

(My guess this will die as being too expensive. It would require a complete re-source of blanks, as well as technical issues like striking metal into the corners of the dies. Then too, this is the federal government, so...)

Comments

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

With all the infrastructure work that needs to happen and political garbage being generated, they had time for this? I think we should have inmates at San Quentin make the square coins. Now that would be unique. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

More PC pandering during an election year. Didn't we already have a Jackie Robinson commemorative?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Politicians need to get bills with their name on it.... and this would be special since it is a 'cause'...emotion and political correctness just drip off it... Cheers, RickO

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really!

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's next triangle ? This is my quasi square I like for my morning breakfast......

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

RE: "(My guess this will die as being too expensive. It would require a complete re-source of blanks, as well as technical issues like striking metal into the corners of the dies. Then too, this is the federal government, so...)"

No. This is another stupid idea from Sen. Tim Scott, [R-SC] who really belongs lawyering traffic citations and pet custody battles.

The Treasury and Mint will be left trying to figure out how to do this and waste lots of money - see the foolish 5-oz silver drink coasters, and palladium boondoggle.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will they be able to put them in "ROLLS?"

• PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frankly, I'd like to see a Robert E. Lee coin, and I'm not even from the "South".

Then, a Henry Ford coin and a Thomas Edison coin (or did we already get one of those?)

And Alexander Graham Bell. And Chuck Yeager. And John Glenn. And a Space Shuttle Commemorative.

They should stop the pandering and find something truly historical for a change.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2018 1:18PM

@jmski52 said:
    Frankly, I'd like to see a Robert E. Lee coin, and I'm not even from the "South".

Then, a Henry Ford coin and a Thomas Edison coin (or did we already get one of those?)

And Alexander Graham Bell. And Chuck Yeager. And John Glenn. And a Space Shuttle Commemorative.

They should stop the pandering and find something truly historical for a change.

Lee is on the Stone Mountain and Antietam commems so he is covered. I don't see a square coin in our future and would not be a customer.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:

Yeah, still think they should have done the 150th anniversary of the Transcontinental Railroad instead of the American Legion next year. (I can fully understand the Apollo 11 commem...)

Maybe we need to get congress out of the commemorative coin process. :D

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about the integration of Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts ?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave it to politicians to sell you junk from their trunk.

• rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

how about a trapezoid?

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope PCGS comes up with Round Slabs for this one. Instead of "First Strike", they can call it "Strike One".

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

And because of the subject matter, no politician in his right-mind would even think of voting against this - not matter how difficult and unpopular with consumers - aka collectors.

thefinn
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:
    And because of the subject matter, no politician in his right-mind would even think of voting against this - not matter how difficult and unpopular with consumers - aka collectors.

If it is unpopular and collectors avoid it, I can see this being a low mintage coin with great investment potential. I just may have to order a few. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you look on the BST, lordmarcovan has a really PURDEE klippe for sale.
    Free plug for a good guy. :)

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure if I'm in... :*

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file