Home U.S. Coin Forum

I have been side-tracked from my collecting goals. What led you astray?

bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to infrequently visit a Member's showcase, perusing his colorful Jefferson Proofs. The collection was 40 or more and ranged from mid 50's to 90's. Some really beautiful stuff. He removed his set in recent months, and I missed getting to see them. From the title, I guess you know where this is going. I'm going to limit myself to a group of 10. There are other coins I need for other endeavors, but here I am side-tracked.

Tell your story and post a pic or two of what led you off in another direction, even if it was temporary.

My current affliction...............

Comments

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many years ago a forum member posted informational threads(and there may have actually been videos to go along with them, I can't remember) about Franklin Half Dollars. That was a coin I never cared anything about. I got so into the information that I started to buy them. After about 3-4 months I started looking at them and thought "what did I do? I don't even like this design"! Needless to say, they didn't stay in my collection for long. And no offense to those who collect them....they are just not for me! Lol :)

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@BillDugan1959 said:
    I have been side-tracked (from time-to-time) by Life, Lust and the Pursuit of Alcohol.

There are twelve step programs for the last two. :)

There's a one step program that I'm taking.
    No need to bash it again.

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2018 7:59PM

I've never really been sidetracked in my coin collecting. I never really started doing something different than what I had planned on collecting, but am curious to hear about others that got sidetracked in their collecting.

Edited for grammar.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got side tracked with collecting notes !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SiriusBlack said:
    These two side track me often. Three if you count the beer!

Great lookin dog! What's the name?

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good bourbon and fine cigars will side track me from just about anything. Including coins

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@BillDugan1959 said:
    I have been side-tracked (from time-to-time) by Life, Lust and the Pursuit of Alcohol.

There are twelve step programs for the last two. :)

The second one is a great place to pickup dates.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My other hobbies are on parallel tracks... so never 'sidetracked'... I move between them with ease... within coins, I am also very flexible, checking CC Morgans - ooo look, there's a WLH...yikes, right next to a gold Indian $5 .... :D Cheers, RickO

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

I spend most of my money on whiskey and women. The rest I wasted.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are these things called 'goals'?

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2018 6:15AM

Girls - current - blonde divorced paralegal Sb half my age, cheerleader in hs, x exotic dancer. Met her at club where vip.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

This re-kindled passion is one of a few things that has taken away some of my coin focus and funds.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 Oh gee, I had to read that four times - the first three times bad old my eyes read "paraplegic" and not "paralegal".

Time for new eye glasses.

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2018 7:46AM

Pretty new tires on an older John Deere! Weighted wheels, and a mower just visible.

The corn field, the tree-line and the sky looks just like home.

P.S. Well, I got a second look at those tires - not as new as I thought!

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

Women, other hobbies, traveling and saving for retirement.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prices, prices, prices. There are no true auctions left...not really. Ebay used to be a place to find decent coins, now most coins, 99.8% of coins are priced such that if you buy it, relisted it at a true auction style, you would lose 20%-50%, That has sidelined my collecting all the way down to zilch.

@SiriusBlack said:

@1Mike1 said:

@SiriusBlack said:

Great lookin dog! What's the name?

Thanks! Her name is Zoe! She’s got a tuxedo brother very similar to yours! They belong to my roommate but I love them both to death. Goobers!

Both look great. Love the breed. Pitskys are quite nice too. Looking to replace mine since she passed on a little over a year ago. Miss her dearly.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Daughter is starting college in the Fall... Towson University is my most recent diversion.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

home repair and improvement.

• SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1Mike1 said:
    Both look great. Love the breed. Pitskys are quite nice too. Looking to replace mine since she passed on a little over a year ago. Miss her dearly.

I’m sorry! You’ll see her on the rainbow bridge. I’ve convinced myself these two will live forever. I refuse to accept anything less!

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love your Leica too....didn't know you collect the best of the classics <3

@SiriusBlack said:
    Most beautiful camera I’ve owned!

@Paradisefound said:
    I love your Leica too....didn't know you collect the best of the classics <3

I try to! My main camera to use is a 1960 Rolleiflex!

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hahaha. Oh so many things. Coins are what I do when everything else is quiet.

Family
    Hunting
    Bird dogs
    Shooting
    Cars
    Aquariums
    Travel

Right now the new car and a bit of travel have sucked up all the coin budget for a while. No worries. I hear bullion is going on sale.

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SiriusBlack said:

@OldEastside said:
    Vintage Kodak's and my Kid "Mini"

Steve

Most beautiful camera I’ve owned!

Ahh the Bantam Special, It's on my looking for list along with a Medalist but as for the Kodak Bantam Special, it's considered Kodak's ultimate Art Deco Camera (I Agree) and pricey

Promote the Hobby
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    Hell's Canyon (Idaho-Oregon border):

Hell's Backbone (Utah):

Guess where I'm going......

Probably should have driven a Hellcat on that trip. LOL

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Hellcat. Unless it comes with 4WD and you can jack it up so that it has good ground clearance, you can't go to hell with me. :p

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]

Agree fantastic car! Like the color too.

• LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kids.

2 of them.

Both girls.

Taking care of them by myself since they were 9 and 6.

Now 18 and 15.

Nuff said.

Sidetracked....Yup.

• cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

This really hasn't sidetracked me much, but I collect darts as well. I easily have 30+ sets. Most I don't throw, I stick to two or three different sets for my match darts.

Jeff

@OldEastside Have you looked into the Teague Brownie cameras?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file