Comments

• JcldJcld Posts: 449 ✭✭✭

25 cents by the look of it.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jcld said:
    25 cents by the look of it.

+1

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

How original! You are so awesome! I wish we had more of you! So funny, that's hilarious, did you just make that up? hahahahahahaha :|

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might be worth a quarter, if it's real.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2018 5:17PM

Yep there is something there makes my eye look twice.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Besides a quarter, what did you think it is? It's not a double die, off center or missing layer coin. What is your thought process? Why didn't you tell us what you were thinking so that we could look at the coin with your thoughts in mind?

bob :)

PS: welcome, but please understand we don't read minds.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • don't have a coin scope to show better picture, but its not shadows or reflections. There is something going on with the stamping. My best guess would be double strike

• anyone have a good method of taking clear pictures of coins?

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@justshillin said:
    anyone have a good method of taking clear pictures of coins?

Do a search. It is one of the most popular topics on this forum.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

"you can notice a slight fantastic of his bowtie"

I vote Post of the Year! Where is he?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/11948546#pagetop

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

+1

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Ok, well this is the best I could come up with to show it is not normal

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2018 4:14PM

I see what you are referring to, but why do you think it is double struck instead of machine doubling?

Either way, good eye for noticing it.

If you are taking pics on a phone, you can zoom in to get a close up. Your pics are pretty clear, just not close enough.

• the "Q's" are different wha? is it counterfeit? Who in the heck would counterfeit a quarter?

• not sure on all the types of coin defects. What do you think of it?

@justshillin said:
    don't have a coin scope to show better picture, but its not shadows or reflections. There is something going on with the stamping. My best guess would be double strike

Here you go a Amscope SM-4TZ-144 with MU900-CK camera

@justshillin said:

Here you go this works half OK

• @justshillin said:
    Ok, well this is the best I could come up with to show it is not normal

Thanks Gluggo, I might have the same camera, just no the fancy rig

I would say machine doubling. Keep it for a conversation piece. Nice find.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

• CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

Hmmmmm... With a name like Shillin...

Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!

@Gluggo said:

@justshillin said:

Here you go this works half OK

Very nice setup :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• 1Mike1
    could you explain what "machine doubling" is please

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@justshillin said:
    not sure on all the types of coin defects. What do you think of it?

It looks like "machine doubling" or "strike doubling". It's just a little movement of the planchet during striking. It is very common and not worth anything addition. "Doubled Dies" are actual coin dies that have the doubling on them and they strike all coins identically with the doubled image.

Read this:

https://ngccoin.com/news/article/5688/Double-Dies-vs-Machine-Doubling/

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the Board!

• ah ok, thank you much

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dude, you need to read up on mechanical doubling and alignment errors. Knowledge is power. Go to www.conecPeace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

@Namvet69 said:
    Dude, you need to read up on mechanical doubling and alignment errors. Knowledge is power. Go to www.conecPeace Roy

Like :smile:

• 2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭

Ignore those early responses. This board has more than its share of cranky old farts. With less than 10 posts you deserved a kinder, more educated answer to a legitimate question. Yes it appears to be what is referred to as Machine Doubling which generally carries no premium. Don't feel too bad..............even the self proclaimed experts will admit sometimes it is hard to tell.................

• giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭✭

You waited 2 1/2 years to make this your first post? :# h

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@justshillin said:
    1Mike1
    could you explain what "machine doubling" is please

It is sometimes called Ejection Doubling too. As the coin is being ejected from the press, if things are not setup right there is some vibration, and the die shifts just a bit with the coin being slightly lose from the die. It gives shelf-like doubling on the lettering.

thefinn

@2manycoins2fewfunds said:
    Ignore those early responses. This board has more than its share of cranky old farts. With less than 10 posts you deserved a kinder, more educated answer to a legitimate question. Yes it appears to be what is referred to as Machine Doubling which generally carries no premium. Don't feel too bad..............even the self proclaimed experts will admit sometimes it is hard to tell.................

I found the question much more legitimate when the op provided comparison pictures to describe what they were talking about. Anyone can post a bad picture of a quarter. Their second try convinced me they were serious about getting an opinion. As for the experts I know two on here I would go to for help if I needed it and I'm not one of them. :D

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@justshillin...Welcome aboard.... Your quarter has machine (or shelf) doubling... there is no numismatic value to this anomaly. Some resources have been linked above, these will be a great help to you. Cheers, RickO

• wow, a roast, lol ok, ok, 2 1/2 years, well...... I have another coin that I have no idea about the value of and am looking to sell. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I am going to be moving soon and looking for a few bucks. This coin was given to me by a Full Bird while I was in the ------ valley during my Afghanistan deployment with 1st Group (A). I have looked all over the internet and know people collect things like this, but have know idea on how to go about selling it. And please let me know if I need to post this in another place.

• air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

@justshillin said:
    wow, a roast, lol ok, ok, 2 1/2 years, well...... I have another coin that I have no idea about the value of and am looking to sell. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I am going to be moving soon and looking for a few bucks. This coin was given to me by a Full Bird while I was in the ------ valley during my Afghanistan deployment with 1st Group (A). I have looked all over the internet and know people collect things like this, but have know idea on how to go about selling it. And please let me know if I need to post this in another place.

It may be a challenge coin which is usually presented by an officer such as a Colonel.

• Yes it is a challenge coin, It was a Full Bird aka Full Bird Colonel, who gave it to me. It was presented to me in Afghanistan for my involvement with VSO (Village Stability Operations)

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great challenge coin. No idea on value. If you knew what it was worth you coulf list on the BST forum, otherwise eBay.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

can you get a macro close-up of the T in quarter? there could be serif separation, making it a nice find.

• WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

Mechanical doubling> @davewesen said:

can you get a macro close-up of the T in quarter? there could be serif separation, making it a nice find.

The letter 'T' in QUARTER appears to be the epicenter of the machine doubling with it waning going in both directions. Even though it appears to be 'serif' separation' on this letter, it is the actual shape of the letter that is causing it to appear to have those characteristic split serifs created by machine doubling.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2018 1:02PM

Some minor thoughts --
    The quarter shows prominent mechanical doubling, which is interesting but adds little value. The arrowhead item is military "challenge coin" with is a small medal often given to members of units or special teams by a commanding officer. Most are round and intended to be used for tossing for drinks between units or members of different military branches. This shape is a little different and might imply an Army Cavalry unit origin.

• @RogerB said:
    Some minor thoughts --
    The quarter shows prominent mechanical doubling, which is interesting but adds little value. The arrowhead item is military "challenge coin" with is a small medal often given to members of units or special teams by a commanding officer. Most are round and intended to be used for tossing for drinks between units or members of different military branches. This shape is a little different and might imply an Army Cavalry unit origin.

The Arrow head shape is for Special Operations. CJSOTF stands for Combined Joint Special Operations Task Force. I am well aware of what it is. I am the one that it was awarded to. Just looking to sell it and have no idea on value.

OK. Thanks for the first-hand information. Did you get any free drinks with it?

• @RogerB said:
    OK. Thanks for the first-hand information. Did you get any free drinks with it?

No, just a hand shake.

Good. Most full colonels I've met are good guys - resigned to never making a star, so they don't have to be SOBs so much. ;)

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your service.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    Thanks for your service.

+1

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • @RogerB said:
    Good. Most full colonels I've met are good guys - resigned to never making a star, so they don't have to be SOBs so much. ;)

He came about chest high to me. He was a little guy with grey hair. Although a joker like myself likes to poke fun when I can It has been said you don't mess with an old man in a profession where men die young.

• @ECHOES said:

@AUandAG said:
    Thanks for your service.

+1

You're welcome gentlemen, my pleasure

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file