Home Precious Metals
Options

I feel stupid I need help pleeeeeaaaassssseeee

I have tried as best I can to figure this coin out but my one eye was removed from cancer and the other has had 3surgeries so I can be on computer long can ANYONE help me please I have an octagonal 1854 California gold piece with Indian head and 13 stars,can anyone help
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without good pics we can't help you.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

Any better
    sorry told you one eye

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

As PerryHall stated, without clearer images, it may be difficult to offer much of an opinion. The die crack between the stars on the obverse may be diagnostic either way, however, it's not something I recognize immediately.

Don't feel stupid ... these little pieces can be difficult to authenticate if you are not familiar with them.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a replica of a California fractional gold piece. The originals were early efforts to create small denomination coins out of native gold rush gold. It's somewhat questionable as to whether they actually traded in gold rush boom towns. If they did, they likely didn't for very long. But their novel size and shape, and correspondingly low price, made them ideal souvenirs for people traveling out West. So they continued to be produced by jewelers into the early 20th century.

Because your piece doesn't have a specific denomination (dollar, half dollar, quarter dollar), it's a replica of these fractional gold pieces. Yours appears to be gilt (gold plated) brass.

It has little value, maybe a dollar or two.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Copy as stated above.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

well, not even a copy as the California territory gold really had some kind of amount on them.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, that is a souvenir piece... fairly common and not gold (maybe lightly plated). Cheers, RickO

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like one of those Russian or North Korean replicas. Your chief would be proud.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.