Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New York Bank Hoard of 16,000 Morgan Dollars

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 16, 2018 4:20PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Thoughts on this and what it will do to coin prices? Just graded at NGC.

https://ngccoin.com/news/

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

it's hard to imagine that this WON'T affect prices in an adverse way, and at a time when prices are soft and getting softer. that is a lot of Morgans for the market to absorb and it is probably deflating to many, many collectors that something like this will directly affect their holdings.

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a good date and grade analysis of the expected market effect on Coin Week from July 9th.

CoinWeek First Look at the Pops of the New York Bank Morgan Dollar Hoard

https://coinweek.com/us-coins/coinweek-first-look-at-the-pops-of-the-new-york-morgan-dollar-hoard/

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭

Maybe pressure on MS67 1887s.

I wonder if any interesting VAMs?

Glad to see a few toners.......................

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who is a buyer of these Morgan's at current prices?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sixteen bags of mostly common date Morgan dollars is nothing at all when you are talking 330 million people in the good old USA. Not even a ripple.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geez !!! ;)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    davidkdavidk Posts: 275 ✭✭✭

Any thoughts on the price range of these?

• Options
    FHCFHC Posts: 323 ✭✭✭

CoinFacts ranks 8 of the dates tied for 94th place out of 117 for rarity by series. 2 are ranked at 87th, and 1 is ranked at 81st. Maybe move them back on the rarity by series?

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    Sixteen bags of mostly common date Morgan dollars is nothing at all when you are talking 330 million people in the good old USA. Not even a ripple.

I’d say less than 1% or <3MM would know what a Morgan dollar is even if it hits them on the face, much have interest or collect them.

• Options
    edited July 16, 2018 6:15PM

@KollectorKing And so what is 16,000 coins among 3,300,000 persons?

You may know what a Morgan Dollar is, but you're math challenged.

• Options

@BillDugan1959 said:

Sorry I know neither.

• Options

If you say you don't know what a Morgan Dollar is, how can I disagree?

You mostly post photos of coins that don't belong to you, anyway.

• Options

@BillDugan1959 said:

Bottom line caught you exaggerating/overstating by app. 99% give or take?

• Options

No, there are 330 million persons in the U.S.A. No exaggeration, probably ten million shy.

• Options
    edited July 16, 2018 6:24PM

Wrong again:

Population of US:
    United States of America/Population
    325.7 million (2017)
    400M
    400M
    300M
    300M
    200M
    200M
    100M
    100M

@BillDugan1959 said:
    No, there are 330 million persons in the U.S.A. No exaggeration, probably ten million shy.

• Options

Dude get your facts straight before you put your foot in your mouth.

• Options

The current population of the United States of America is 326,846,792 as of Sunday, July 15, 2018, based on the latest United Nations estimates. the United States population is equivalent to 4.28% of the total world population. the U.S.A. ranks number 3 in the list of countries (and dependencies) by population.

• Options

There are small rounding errors, plus the statisticians have been told not to count a lot of folks who are here but possibly shouldn't be.

• Options

Per Wikipedia

Jump to Population density · The United States is estimated to have a population of 327,996,618 as of June 25, 2018, making it the third most populous country in the world.
    Growth rate: 0.71% (2017-2018 est.)
    Nationality: American

• Options
    edited July 16, 2018 6:34PM

@BillDugan1959 said:

That’s mostly because I’ve sold all my favs looong time ago: triple barber qtr keys, 89cc, 79cc, 94p, 93cc, but I have these

• Options
    edited July 16, 2018 6:37PM

@BillDugan1959 said:

Where do you post yours or anyone else’s?

• Options

Wanna see more of MY coins

• Options
    edited July 16, 2018 6:42PM

The question was something along the lines of how many Morgans would it take to disrupt the normal market (or even a 'weak' market).

16 bags of common date Morgans is not enough, even if the coins are in above average condition.

I've been in the happy position where one coin can be quite exciting, if it's the "right" coin.

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

But, but, doesn't my nephew who was born this afternoon count? Make that 326,846,793.

Just checked, there are just under 3,000 Registry sets of Morgan Dollars at NGC and PCGS combined. That's less than 6 coins available for each set. I'd guess if there is any impact on the market it will be small and temporary. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see several "New York Bank Hoard" registry sets show up in the near future.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2018 7:08PM

Think of it this way: It is analogous to dropping a four ton boulder in the middle of Lake Michigan. It may make a splash (garner attention), but the level of water displacement long term is effectively nil.

• Options
    ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭

There are quite a few MS-63’s in this hoard. Some dealers may try to sell them at a premium because of the pedigree to customers that don’t care about what they are really worth, but like the story behind the coin. Hopefully the coins will be graded fairly tight. I had a guy try to dump an MS-63 common date Binion dollar on me because of the pedigree. It was a borderline 60 at best.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Colonialcoin said:
    There are quite a few MS-63’s in this hoard. Some dealers may try to sell them at a premium because of the pedigree to customers that don’t care about what they are really worth, but like the story behind the coin. Hopefully the coins will be graded fairly tight. I had a guy try to dump an MS-63 common date Binion dollar on me because of the pedigree. It was a borderline 60 at best.

I would bet that most, if not all of the 64 and below will show up on TV - the NY Hoard "pedigree" is perfect for the TV coin hucksters to sell to suckers for 2 to 3 times retail.

• Options
    BeefCurry808BeefCurry808 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

This thread went from being about morgans to coins they own and population lmao

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess the 1889 bag was not as nice as the original thread image showed? No 67's from that bag.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1000421/16-000-morgan-dollars-hoard-to-hit-the-market-soon/p1

• Options
    sawyerjoshsawyerjosh Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2018 11:59PM

So, they hype the 67's as rare in terms of how many they graded? Pre-marketing at it's best!

As a seller: USARarities, acloco, coindudeonebay, Twinturbo, MICHAELDIXON, blu62vette, mothra454, LukeMarshall, USARarities
    As a buyer: QualityCurrencycom, tychojoe, AurumMiner, Collectorcoins, perfectstrike, ModCrewman, LeeBone, nickel, REALGATOR, MICHAELDIXON, pointfivezero, Walkerguy21D
    Trades: georgiacop50
  • Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2018 12:22AM

Nature's first green is gold,

Her hardest hue to hold.

Her early leaf's a flower;

But only so an hour.

Then leaf subsides to leaf.

So Eden sank to grief,

So dawn goes down to day,

Nothing gold can stay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N72HEq_dqA0

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be fun to open an old bag of Morgans.... and to find a couple of 67's would be nice...Just from a collector's point of view. I doubt the market will be impacted.... Likely the TV hucksters will have a short lived selling spree...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoards discovered or recovered aren't that exciting but I bet JA will enjoy them.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what It cost to get them certified and encapsulated.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW there are multiple estimates for US population, not 1, all have official series names. I believe the one being quoted is the middle one. Also, no government stat is considered final for 2 or 3 years after it is published, so we won't know what the real number is for today's pop, until at least 2020. Welcome to my world.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    it's hard to imagine that this WON'T affect prices in an adverse way, and at a time when prices are soft and getting softer. that is a lot of Morgans for the market to absorb and it is probably deflating to many, many collectors that something like this will directly affect their holdings.

Just thinking out loud, I would presume the NGC prices would fall if anything.
    Will this effect upper end host (PCGS) examples? I believe not.
    Especially CAC examples.
    But it will effect NGC hoarders of said dates - in generic grades, or so it seems. jmho.

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just fatten Dealers stocks for awhile

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet they're CONTINENTAL DOLLARS !!!!
    Yep, that's what I bet. :p

• Options

my comment is/was meant to pertain to the dates involved in the hoard, the increase in available graded coins won't affect other dates, how/why could it??

perhaps, as someone mentioned above, the coins will enter via telemarketers and be able to be moved, but overall the price on these mostly common dates in MS63-64 will fall. maybe not now, maybe not next month, but eventually the dealers will have them and they will stagnate in inventory.

look at a date like 1878-S or 1881-S: there are far too many of them available right now. judging what I see, an NGC market graded MS63-64 of these dates is an unlovely creature that often can't find a home.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Connecticoin said:

@Colonialcoin said:

I would bet that most, if not all of the 64 and below will show up on TV - the NY Hoard "pedigree" is perfect for the TV coin hucksters to sell to suckers for 2 to 3 times retail.

This is exactly what I thought when I read the article. Tailor made!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

What does it matter 326 million v. 330 million If there are only 300 buyers that may only want one or two or none of them. I think they are not good for the market. To much water is to much and will take time for it to soak in.

There will be overflow.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2018 2:49PM

Curious about the pieces illustrated and labeled in the Coin Week article. Nearly all of them seem to be over graded. The 1878-S can't be MS64 -- scruffy, baggy and MS-62. Naturally, any presumptions are just BS when it comes to trying to grade from tiny photos -- they just look "odd" to me. :)

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like every month another "Hoard" of Morgan's is found.

• Options

well, one thing is clear from the "critiques" of my replies --- my first hand experiences aren't the same as everyone else. this much I will say:
    1.) I tend to see more collectors who are assembling sets than collectors who just want a nice Morgan Dollar.
    2.) as a general rule, buyers don't differentiate "price guide prices" when it comes to the various TPG's.
    3.) it doesn't really matter how many coins of a specific grade PCGS/NGC have graded, if those coins go unsold then adding to that number won't help.

I am glad I don't collect Morgan Dollars.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file