Home Metal Detecting

NEWB questions please

CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am from the coin side; My soon to be 8 year old son has been watching treasure hunting shows and has been dropping hints he would like a metal detector for his birthday.

At first I dismissed it but I have always sort of wanted one too and now that I think about it, that could be a pretty cool father son thing. Maybe just maybe (if the ground is semi-salted with silver) it might foster a love for coins too.

Do any of have any recommendations on a solid performance but not too serious level model of Detector that can be shared size wise between the two of us? Simple helps too. Also any ideas in the DC area

Thank you in advance for any ideas.

John

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Battery life is another concern. My Whites lasts for days. My Lobo the same. Both use AA battery packs.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

Really depends on how much you want to spend. If $600 isn't out of the question, I'd say buy a Minelab Equinox 600. It's light enough for a child to use and offers the best performance in its price range.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check out White Electronics, I like them the best

Frank

BHNC #203

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always preferred White's MD's....High quality, reliability and superb customer service. Garrett also makes a very good product (I do not have a Garrett's, but have read excellent reports on them). You will also need a digging tool, and a pinpointer will really help locating the item in the dirt once you start digging. Also, some MD etiquette points...fill all your holes, and carry out any trash you come across (an apron or trash bag on your belt helps with this).
    Lots of information here....when you get close to making a decision, post here, you will get help. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) !!!

Timbuk3
  • Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

White's was the top brand back in the 1970s. It's barely in the running nowadays.

• KrustyKrusty Posts: 7
    edited July 17, 2018 12:59PM

Tesoro ,compadre is a good starter with lifetime warranty, made in usa, light weight, good battery life, and wont break the bank right off the get go.