logger7logger7 Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had this PCGS rattler coin I paid around $120 for that needed conservation:

ICG nicely conserved it for me:

Comments

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks better !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately the scanner images don't show the pretty colors and hues. The reverse had some type of residue (pvc). With PCGS's warranty/guarantee submission program taking around 3 months, what other reasonable option do you have? ICG should charge for conservation but doesn't.

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try propping the slab up from being flat on the scanner.
    You should get a better picture.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have dumped it and bought another example that looked like a normal coin. That coin is not attractive.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • JBKJBK Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    With PCGS's warranty/guarantee submission program taking around 3 months, what other reasonable option do you have?

I am not disputing your strategy, but I don't know enough about the process to understand what was going on here. Are you saying that a 3 month wait would have gotten that fixed and reholdered in PCGS plastic for free?

As I see it, it went from PCGS to ICG. If ICG did the goop removal for free then that was a good deal for sure, but it is still in ICG plastic. If it is just for you with no eye toward resale then who cares, but if that is the case, why was the 3 month delay at PCGS an issue? (We need a head-scratching emoji).

I am surely missing something.... :|

• USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see how pcgs could have done much better. It may tectnicly be a 65 but it just doesn't have the eye appeal of a 65. These common date 65's are selling cheap these days. You should have been more patient and found one much better looking for the same price.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2018 4:34PM

I'm also confused as to why you would pay full retail for a problem free MS65 for a problem coin and then pay to have it conserved/crossed to ICG. You would have been much better off buying a nice MS65 the first time.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

The PCGS guarantee doesn't cover conservation or any surface deterioration that occurred while slabbed. So OP would have had to pay for it (besides dealing with the wait). My guess is PCGS would have refused to conserve it, knowing it wouldn't have had very positive results.

ICG either used something gentle like acetone which removed the reverse PVC (and it looks great, BTW) but didn't do much for the obverse. Or they did an acid dip which couldn't help the obverse (probably permanently stained).

I'm not a fan but to each his own.
    Lance.

• jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure ICG did the best they could...

I'd rather have a nice coin in an ICG holder any day than an ugly or problem coin in an NGC or PCGS holder. The coin actually has a lot of luster and eye appeal in hand. I bought it with some other coins from the dealer that were old holder and the problem didn't jump out at me until later. I don't like bias or presumptuous judgments against anyone or anything, and like ICG's fast efficient and inexpensive service.

@insider2 - Thoughts? Any insights?

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2018 11:00PM

:( it's a downgrade to me despite the slightly improvement on the grade. I would've kept it in our host's OGH and not go on the limbo for the + :/ (hope it didn't cost much to do such)
    However I wondered how it would cross BACK to PCGS ;)

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would of sent it in to are host to see what they could do 1st. Oh well it's done now.

Hoard the keys.

@Type2 said:
    I would of sent it in to are host to see what they could do 1st. Oh well it's done now.

The problem of doing a warranty/guarantee submission is that the whole process can easily take 3 months and they can easily avoid shouldering the costs associated with a quick dip to remove a problem substance that developed after the coin was slabbed 30 or so years ago: https://www.pcgs.com/guarantee

With ICG you have costs around $10-$19 a coin, fast turn-around times; the problem is their holders don't have the status; were imaging available to compare apples with apples then much of the anxiety/insecurity about not having an NGC/PCGS coin would be lessened.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

While the conservation efforts improved the coin, it is still not a pleasant coin to look at...well.. the reverse is actually very nice. I have coins in ICG holders... I believe they deserve more credit than normally accorded. Cheers, RickO

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2018 6:59AM

my girlfriend tells me I can be coarse sometimes, so I thought I would clarify my earlier post.

the coin in the original PCGS rattler didn't look very nice and despite the OP assertion that it has nice luster it is hard for me to look at, let alone consider buying. with that said, I know a little about coin conservation and the most important aspect is in assessing a particular coin, determining what the actual problems are and having an effective way to remedy them. I believe PCGS has the expertise/personnel to address all problems that we encounter so it would probably have been a better choice to send them the coin.

I don't understand why the OP is so concerned with the low cost offered by ICG when that is negated by the value that the market places on their holdered coins. on top of that, IMHO they did the OP a disservice by helping the reverse, not really helping the obverse and losing the holder: read, value. in the long run the OP probably would have been best served by doing what others have said, sell the coin and be done with it.

Too bad ICG doesn't have deep-pocketed investors to help it attain the respect it deserves
    again, just my opinion, but ICG was gaining Hobby respect when James Taylor was at the helm back in the late 1990's. they still have what I think is the best designed holder and at that time were grading competitively and on par, in my judgment, with PCGS and NGC. then they made a critical error --- perhaps recognizing those facts, they attempted to gain ground by flooding the market and going after NGC's monopoly on Moderns. the result was predictable with over graded coins, wrongly/misattributed coins and the worst, one-sided CAM/DCAM's.

that was right around the same time that PCI and ANACS climbed into the dumpster and a number of years before ANACS and ICG each moved at least once and actually swapped grading teams!!! for anyone who didn't know that, yes, it really happened. :#

• fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2018 7:04AM

Nice coin still. If this was a Barber coin it might market grade 66

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:
    I'm also confused as to why you would pay full retail for a problem free MS65 for a problem coin and then pay to have it conserved/crossed to ICG. You would have been much better off buying a nice MS65 the first time.

That's right folks! "Buy the coin, not the label."> @cameonut2011 said:

@insider2 - Thoughts? Any insights?

See above, just back from the FUN Show.

@CascadeChris said:
    Wow. Im guessing ICG doesn't get many PCGS holders for crossover let alone rattlers. I wonder if they gave the office a 10min break when the package was opened :D

You wouldn't believe the yearly numbers (up each year) if I told you. :wink:

edited July 14, 2018 6:59PM

Let me remind everyone that this is the PCGS Forum. I don't wish to defend any other grading service.

edited July 14, 2018 7:00PM

@Insider2 said:
    That's right folks! "Buy the coin, not the label."

Agreed. I wouldn't buy that coin in any holder or raw at a price consistent with its assigned grade. I'm not challenging the grade, but ugly is ugly. That's not a slight to ICG, PCGS, you, or anyone else. You can only work with the cards you are dealt and two pair isn't going to magically become a royal flush.

BTW, the obverse was not touched.

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks more like Environmental Damage to me. The tarnish is so deep it has become staining.

thefinn

@thefinn said:
    Looks more like Environmental Damage to me. The tarnish is so deep it has become staining.

Take a look at all the auctions. EVERY COIN with black rims is CORRODED. So, technically, you are 100% correct.

A very famous numismatist, author, and chemist is ALSO technically correct when he writes that all toning [including very attractive rainbow colors the increase the value and eye appeal of a coin for most connoisseurs] is environmental damage!

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2
    How do you physically only conserve one side of a coin?

Acetone doesn't alter toning.

@Insider2 said:

Is there any chance a dip would not have made the obverse worse?

@logger7 said:
    Acetone doesn't alter toning.

Actually, in some cases, acetone will lighten toning and even the removal of "skin" can change the appearance of oxidation without removing it.d

@skier07 said:
    @Insider2

That is easy! Now think a little and take a guess.

@cameonut2011 said:

@Insider2 said:

Is there any chance a dip would not have made the obverse worse?

Yes. In the opinion of the person doing the conservation, this coin would be worth less if dipped. Toning/tarnish/NT/AT is a very complicated and subjective proposition. There are cases where coins have been ruined. There are also cases when I did not wish to dip something as the OP's coin and the owner of the company told me to do it - the coin "popped" and the grade went up two points.

Why touch a coin that top graders in the country thought was an MS-65!!! Toned coins are desirable for two groups of people. Those who like toning and those who cannot wait to purchase the coin and make it "white" with a dip.

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

The trick is to now sent it from conservation with ngc and then send it back to pcgs for their conservation. Photo each time. Would make a neat display at a coin show. First prize!

@abcde12345 said:
    The trick is to now sent it from conservation with ngc and then send it back to pcgs for their conservation. Photo each time. Would make a neat display at a coin show. First prize!

If a coin is completely conserved properly, there is nothing that will change and the second service will be taking money for nothing. There are instances - all hearsay until proven, that folks paid for conservation and nothing was done. I cannot believe that. Heck, swish it around in deionized water, dry it and keep the money; but do something. Otherwise, send it back and say It needs nothing, I've done that quite a few times.

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:
    @Insider2

Just like a car.

thefinn
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Apparently, a grading team and finalizer at PCGS (at a time when they had much stricter grading standards) was of the opinion that this coin was worth MS-65 money

can you verify what the coin looked like about 30 years ago when the above referenced grading took place?? my belief is that the coin changed in the holder, probably due to heat and humidity during long term storage. also, it is my experience that PVC isn't always visible, but shows up clearly after enough time has passed. that is almost certainly the case here, I doubt that even during the early years of PCGS that they would have knowingly holdered a coin with active PVC.

to that end for the reverse, the submitter would have been better served if the obverse could have been helped, I cannot convince myself from this image that the coin would be "attractive" in-hand.

OK, guys. Be specific...how do you conserve one side of a coin?

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2018 3:00PM

@Insider2 said:

With a Q-Tip,,,,, on an MS coin only.

GrandAm :)

@GRANDAM said:

@Insider2 said:

With a Q-Tip,,,,,

Yes. With a Q-tip and a liquid chemical but what else. How would you do it?

Very carefully ;)

If would depend on what needed to be done to the coin,,,,,,, if encased in dirt and crud I might use a toothpick to gently loosen the crud.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2018 3:24PM

@Insider2 said:

@GRANDAM said:

@Insider2 said:

With a Q-Tip,,,,,

Yes. With a Q-tip and a liquid chemical but what else. How would you do it?

Obviously I’ve never tried conserving a coin, but won’t a Q-Tip leave marks? And I was a chemistry major as an undergraduate.

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the reverse looks a lot better after the conservation. I would have asked for you to do some work on the obverse as well if you thought you could have made it look better.

This is getting too complicated. What you are describing has all been removed prior to the final steps. All wished to express is that you "roll" the chemical on and you make sure none goes over on to the rim. This is easy to do with a Morgan dollar.

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based only on the pics provided:

ICG removing some reverse PVC but doing nothing to the apparently ugly obverse—and then adding a + to the newly conserved coin—is odd. I assume that like PCGS/NGC, the ICG + is meant to recognize some eye appeal in addition to technical merits for the assigned grade...yet this Morgan’s obverse remained untouched and ugly.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big difference. Glad your happy

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

edited July 17, 2018 1:47PM

@MANOFCOINS said:
    @insider2 do you ever work one side of a coin simply because the toning is unattractive? I have several coins that have gorgeous obverse toning with unattractive reverse toning. If the reverse was blast white I think they would upgrade. Will these coins be graded once they are conserved on the reverse? How often do you see gorgeous one sided toners with blast white reverse? Would these be body bagged? A A+ obverse with a C minus reverse sucks.

Yes, of course. Lots of coins are nice on one side while the other is yucky. While learning to detect artificial toning and chemical alterations by experiment, I created the most beautiful one-sided brown Indian cent. It actually had a quarter inch, natural-looking crescent rainbow with pink/yellow/blue across the center of the obverse. The reverse looked like someone burned soy sauce all over it!

I'm going to guess the goal of any conservation would be to help preserve the item while increasing its attractiveness. The less that needs attention, the less is done. Sometimes it is just a copper spot. Proper conservation is done in steps. Each step prepares the item for the next step. I'm making it sound more complicated than it is but we don't just dup a coin into dip.

Here is another PCGS but much better date OH Morgan I was looking at in hand earlier:

Even darker in hand, I wonder how cac or other numismatist would see it?

@logger7 said:
    Here is another PCGS but much better date OH Morgan I was looking at in hand earlier:

Even darker in hand, I wonder how cac or other numismatist would see it?

Don't touch that one! There was a time when dark coins as this maxed out at MS-64.

And talk about "terminal toning".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file