Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How does a seller sell this many Counterfeits ...

addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

... and not get a neg?

He’s listing them as “unknown” but they are home made fakes. I know because I bought one and now he’s fighting me on the return.

Hundred of sales for thousands of dollars is Unbelievable!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=273337060279&redirect=mobile&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_ssn=believe_in_miracles_777&_sop=16

Comments

• Options

He gets away with it by calling them RP in the title. Its ridiculous that the fakes are going for so much though

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, all the best cards, all raw. Multiples of each. Red flags all over the place.

• Options

You should see how this A-hole handles a return. He states he’s will to do so but only if I close the return request. Probably how he has made it so long without a neg. He also has ebay send a direct message saying that the listing was accurately described. It’s almost like they are in on it. Here’s the message I received from eBay:

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

he believes in Miracles ,, he is making money

• Options

@addicted2ebay said:
    ... and not get a neg?

He’s listing them as “unknown” but they are home made fakes. I know because I bought one and now he’s fighting me on the return.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=273337060279&redirect=mobile&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_ssn=believe_in_miracles_777&_sop=16

i dont see any unknown

• Options
    edited July 13, 2018 4:58PM

@lawyer05 said:

@addicted2ebay said:
    ... and not get a neg?

i dont see any unknown

Looking on eBay mobil maybe? It’s a garbage app... try hitting classic site and view his highest dollar listings ... you will then see he has many listed as “unknown”

It use to be easier to avoid scam artists like this but ebay now forces many iPhone users to their mobile app and it sucks.

Makes me wonder if they are cool with it ??? They seem to be helping this scam artist out.

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@addicted2ebay said:
    You should see how this A-hole handles a return. He states he’s will to do so but only if I close the return request. Probably how he has made it so long without a neg. He also has ebay send a direct message saying that the listing was accurately described. It’s almost like they are in on it. Here’s the message I received from eBay:

I would have fire coming from my ears after reading that.

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Is ‘stunning’ synonymous for reprint or unknown?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    downtowndowntown Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

He puts “good luck” in his descriptions
    As in good luck getting a refund?

I collect Seattle Pilots autographs, 1969 Topps autographs, Signed Mickey Mantle Home Run History cards and have a JC Martin collection (he was my college Baseball coach)
    Doug
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@addicted2ebay said:

Makes me wonder if they are cool with it ??? They seem to be helping this scam artist out.

Cool with it? We're only talking about Ebay here - the company who once put bootleg Peyton Manning jerseys on the cover of their Christmas catalog and touted the low prices for which they could be purchased.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

This seller changed his username two weeks ago. Looks like ebay now hides old usernames. Unbelievable. His fakes are not even good fakes.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never understood the inconsistency of ebay. Many years ago I fell victim to purchasing multiple items that were counterfeits from a different but very similar seller. Before that day, I don't think I had ever returned an item or filed a buyer claim for any reason. When I went through the process of filing a complaint and request for return, ebay handed down the determination that since I also sold items in the sports card category (albeit selling completely different cards than the ones I bought), it was their policy (at the time) to decide that I had purchased the items with intent to file a false claim with hopes of controlling the sports card sales market by leaving negative feedback against a competitor and thereby steering others' customers to myself instead based on feedback reputation. They also at that point as an unprecedented punishment took away my right to purchase for 90 days, and made a note on my account that I would no longer be eligible for buyer protection ever. I have never had any ebay violations before or after that, and I do have an impeccable record on the site. That was over 10 years ago. Every couple years I request an appeal of that buyer protection ban but they claim that decision is an irreversible one. It is the most insane thing I have ever been a part of, complete nonsense. I wholeheartedly assure you that there are not 2 sides to this story. It just seems like ebay truly does want to protect the scammer sellers.

• Options

Is there a way several of us can send an email to ebay and report him for counterfeit cards?

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

@Fayeilding said:
    Is there a way several of us can send an email to ebay and report him for counterfeit cards?

Probably wont happen. One thing ive learned about the people on this forum is, if it doesn't involve PSA cards, nobody cares.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    edited July 16, 2018 7:10AM

ebay will probably okay my return when I escalate it... who knows will see.

They are basically a online FLEA MARKET now with scammers coming out of the woodwork.

This guy like so many might be making money hand over fist but “THE BILL ALWAYS COMES DUE” in this world. That goes for eBay aswell.

• Options
    tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

so now he claims since ungraded; it's unknown whether original or reprint on his new listings

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like on Ebay, sometimes crime does pay. :/

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think if you are buying raw on eBay, you need to really vet the seller. Check out what they've sold, the rest of the inventory. If someone is selling 20 of the greatest cards in collecting on eBay - raw - they probably don't have real copies.

And as a rule, I assume it's overgraded by at least one (if it says Ex, it's probably VG/EX).

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

I've come across this seller too. He has a bunch of fake 1983 VO Puckett minor league cards.

The thing I don't understand about the "RP" label is, unless those are authorized re-prints - which always state the year they were made or have some other identifying mark - they aren't "re-prints", they are outright counterfeit.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options
    StamkosFanStamkosFan Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

But all his cards are IMMACULATE, STUNNING, RAZOR SHARP, BEAUTIFUL, etc.
    Crazy prices. He's getting 10-100x what some of the fakes go for.

• Options
    edited July 17, 2018 4:03PM

Good news ebay okayed the return...

Thought I’d give him some advice... not that it’s gonna make a difference.

“Unknown” typo was fixed lol

I blame ebay for even having a “unknown” option. It’s only used by scammers 99% of the time.

• Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

I wouldn't send it back in one piece, i would tear it apart just so he can't turn around and resell it again. I miss when PayPal in a case like this would tell you to destroy the item and not to send it back.

• Options

@brendanb438 said:
    I wouldn't send it back in one piece, i would tear it apart just so he can't turn around and resell it again. I miss when PayPal in a case like this would tell you to destroy the item and not to send it back.

He sold like 6 fake Bird-Magic RC already and I called him out on it. His response was “we have a warehouse full of cards”

People like this are mentally deranged!

• Options
    FayeildingFayeilding Posts: 88
    edited July 18, 2018 11:40AM

@addicted2ebay said:
    Good news ebay okayed the return...

Thought I’d give him some advice... not that it’s gonna make a difference.

“Unknown” typo was fixed lol

I blame ebay for even having a “unknown” option. It’s only used by scammers 99% of the time.

What’s the telltale on these as being fake? I mean if I was looking at one in person what would I look for?

• Options

Get a loop. Home made Fakes usually print out the color with no dots.

It takes multiple printing dots to make colors like green, purple ect on a printing press.

Also the type is usually fuzzy... bad quality on these home made cards.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember hearing another sign to look for on some of these Bird/Magic rookies is the perforations are just printed lines on the front and not visible on back. They just look like the panels are separable when they're not.

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Great news. Perseverance pays off.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry for the hassles. OMG, a real super scammer -- usually if I've had a poor eBay buying experience, filing a SNAD is a quick and painless refund. Never had someone who tried to move a counterfeit on me then double down and claim it was as described. LOL.

My advice, don't buy any vintage bazooka cards cut from boxes with their blank backs unless certified or you can examine in person. From a scan, a color copy pasted onto a cereal box back will be too hard to detect! :)

• Options

drop the neg!

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

someone took action looks like his item all say RP for reprint and many no longer available. Good work Guys

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    edited July 25, 2018 8:27PM

That fake card was returned and he’s still fighting me!

I received the refund but TWICE ebay has sent me a “Your case is on hold” message.

I’m guessing this POS is trying to say I sent him a different card or something... it won’t let me see.

This guy is absolute SCUM! And needs to be shut down!

• Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭

Copyright violations?? Is this something Topps may pursue shutting down.

• Options

ill never buy ungraded ever again

• Options

There is a autograph collectible dealer in Hollywood Florida that i saw him have a woman forging and doing his autographs. This was like 9 years ago He is all over Ebay. Its crazy

• Options
    NIPSZXNIPSZX Posts: 79 ✭✭

How are these cards fake? Does RP stand for reprint? These cards are real

• Options

@NIPSZX said:

This is depressing!

Must be the most fraudulent hobby in the WORLD!!!

I believe ebay has gotten to the point that stopping counterfeit cards is impossible.

The buyer is responsible for doing their homework.

FFS Man!

• Options

@addicted2ebay said:

@NIPSZX said:

This is depressing!

I believe ebay has gotten to the point that stopping counterfeit cards is impossible.

FFS Man!

So, once again, how are these cards fake? You didn't answer the question.

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    I think if you are buying raw on eBay, you need to really vet the seller. Check out what they've sold, the rest of the inventory. If someone is selling 20 of the greatest cards in collecting on eBay - raw - they probably don't have real copies.

And as a rule, I assume it's overgraded by at least one (if it says Ex, it's probably VG/EX).

I thought it was eBay's job to vet the seller. That's what we are paying them for.

• Options

@NIPSZX said:

@addicted2ebay said:

@NIPSZX said:

This is depressing!

FFS Man!

Send one to Psa

• Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

@NIPSZX said:

@addicted2ebay said:

@NIPSZX said:

This is depressing!

FFS Man!

There is a reason that any of the big buyers have been avoiding this seller like the plague. When this board tells you it is because of them being counterfeit then it is because they are counterfeit. Also why do you think these cards would always sell for way less than the same condition real cards from other sellers?

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

There are inherent risks in buying raw high grade vintage cards. Getting stung a majority of the time seems to be par for the course, right? Not condoning counterfeits, but at this phase in our hobby, someone buying high grade raw vintage cards can't possibly think this is a winning proposition.

An the other hand, I understand the frustration with e-bay. I'm amazed at how many folks donate many hours of their valuable time talking to some admin in India who doesn't give a hoot. If you feel you're a victim and it's a battle worth fighting, the first move is small claims court, then you can have a discussion. Otherwise, I'd move on.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options

@addicted2ebay said:
    That fake card was returned and he’s still fighting me!

I received the refund but TWICE ebay has sent me a “Your case is on hold” message.

I’m guessing this POS is trying to say I sent him a different card or something... it won’t let me see.

This guy is absolute SCUM! And needs to be shut down!

>

Don’t forget to leave negative feedback. There are also a couple guys on BO that are in the process of returning. This will get him shut down quickly.

• Options

@addicted2ebay said:

@NIPSZX said:

@addicted2ebay said:

@NIPSZX said:

This is depressing!

FFS Man!

Send one to Psa

How do we know you aren't just an advertiser of PSA?

• Options
    BigRed7BigRed7 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

I see that Ebay has a corporate booth at that National, as does Topps, perhaps this is something we can ask when we are at the National.