Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1943-bombay Australian penny, "proof re-strike"?

I have a 1943-b-I Australian penny that I always thought looked like a proof, but that's such an improbability that I've assumed it was just an altered color. Recently I came across an article about '42 and '43 Bombay proof re-strikes: https://www.sterlingcurrency.com.au/research/bombay-mint-restrikes-australias-proof-copper-coins-1942-and-1943

The article says 65 unofficial re-strike proof sets were produced, including the 1943-b, I proof penny.

It mentions that these "un-official" re-strikes included a small diamond between the colon of FID: and the back of the head on the portrait (as discussed in the article cited, with a couple of pictures). It also mentions that the diamond has been observed in two locations, close to one another.

My specimen has what looks like a diamond in the one of two locations shown in the article AND a rounder dot in the other "right location".

I suppose that the explanation that die pits that just happen to produce "diamonds" in the right places is just about as (or maybe more) likely than this coin being of these rarities.

But, take a look: 3 pictures, 1) whole coin for patina, 2) zoom-in for locations of "diamonds", and 3) a 100x zoom-in for "diamond-like" shape.

So any experts out there: what's your opinion? Just die flaws, 1 diamond (lower) + a flaw (upper), or "two diamonds" on one of these re-strikes??

Comments

• Options
    WorldCoinsDmitryWorldCoinsDmitry Posts: 367 ✭✭✭

The bottom "dot" does appear to be shaped similar to a diamond, but it's in the wrong position for the 1 penny. The top dot is in the correct position had it been a restrike 1/2 penny, but even then it's a rounded dot. That and the fact that the coin has rounded rims rather than sharply squared ones leads me to believe it is a normal coin with some die chips.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to be a business strike that has been cleaned harshly (strong hairlines in front of, behind, and on neck. As mentioned, the rims are not squared like a double-struck proof would have.

thefinn
  • Options

Thanks for the helpful responses. I’m convinced.