Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

British Kings "Bullet Book,' Henry VII, 1485 - 1509

Henry VII Groat, Medieval Style

• Henry VII became king after he defeated Richard III at the Battle of Bosworth.

• Henry was the only child of Edmond Tutor who was one of the half brothers of Edward IV. As such his claim to the throne was not extremely strong. The sudden and unexpected death of Edward IV and the political missteps of Richard III gave him an opening.

• Henry VII was a shrewd and prudent leader who consolidated his power. He married Elizabeth of York which united the houses of Lancaster and York which had been at war for 100 years. Although his marriage to Elizabeth had a political foundation, he loved her deeply. Unlike many British kings, Henry did not have mistresses.

• Henry extended an olive branch to many Yorkists which consolidated his power. The result was England started down the path of a modern state.

Henry VII Groat, Renaissance Style

• In keeping with Henry’s movement toward a modern state, he brought in a German die sinker who produced coins with accurate images of the king upon the obverse.

• Henry dreamed of the re-created the mythical state of Camelot. He named his first son Arthur and groomed him as his successor. Arthur died, however, and after Elizabeth died, Henry became a reclusive and unhappy man in his final years.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

The difference in style shows the effect of the Renaissance finally reaching England. The crown in the later style also fits the king's head!

All glory is fleeting.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am a bit surprised that Henry VII has not drawn more interest.

At any rate, Henry’s method of becoming king, killing the previous king in battle, demonstrates one of several highlights of the American political system. Americans don’t realize how fortunate we are to have a smooth transition from one president to the next. Yes, we have had controversial elections like 1876 and 2000, and Lincoln’s election did lead to the Civil War. But by in large the transitions have been smooth and peaceful.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bill - I'll just throw in that the medieval groat looks like a fantastic coin. I like the surfaces and toning.

It does seem like Henry VII is overshadowed by Henry VIII - maybe just based on the sources for Henry VIII and the drama around his wives. But Henry VII was a prudent king and brought stability and financial security to the crown.

My current "Box of 20"

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2018 3:02PM

Yes, I think that Henry VII was much more of a “gentleman” than many of his predecessors and his successors. He didn’t even cheat on his wife, which was highly unusual.

I expect that Henry VIII will generate more interest.

• ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    I am a bit surprised that Henry VII has not drawn more interest.

At any rate, Henry’s method of becoming king, killing the previous king in battle, demonstrates one of several highlights of the American political system. Americans don’t realize how fortunate we are to have a smooth transition from one president to the next. Yes, we have had controversial elections like 1876 and 2000, and Lincoln’s election did lead to the Civil War. But by in large the transitions have been smooth and peaceful.

Smooth if one excludes 4 assassinations and multiple unsuccessful attempts. Being the American President is a dangerous occupation.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

Great coins and Henry VII is one of those king's who does not get the credit he deserves for the change and impact that was due to him. He is usually overshadowed by his tyrannical son.

I define the Battle of Bosworth Field as the dividing point between medieval and modern times. Atthough they didnt know it at the time, the soldiers who took park walked on to the battlefield from the middle ages and off of it into the modern world.

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nicely done post and another fact to add, HVII was the king whose reign saw the first gold sovereign coin minted in 1589. Additionally his first heir was Prince Arthur - a "what if" of history who died unexpectedly in 1502 clearing the way for his younger brother, Prince Henry to assume the throne in 1509.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21