Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

British Kings "Bullet Book," Richard III, 1483 - 1485

Richard III Penny

• Richard III was the brother of Edward IV. Upon the death of Edward he snatched the crown from Edward’s son, Edward V, had him imprisoned and probably executed.

• Richard was said to have a curvature of the spine, which was proven when his bones were recovered from under a parking lot at Leicester City in 2013. His deformities, while exaggerated by the Shakespearian plays, were real.

• Richard was a brave warrior, but he was no match for Henry Tudor’s forces at the Battle of Bosworth in 1485. He was quickly cut down after he charged into the fray.

• Most of the surviving examples of Richard III’s coins are in low grades. The piece pictured above is a little better than average.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice presentation.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh- and coin too, of course!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I like the presentation by BillJones, I am very skeptical about the recent "finding" of the remains of Richard III. It was all too slick, too neat, too easy.

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

From Durham, coined under bishop John Sherwood.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    While I like the presentation by BillJones, I am very skeptical about the recent "finding" of the remains of Richard III. It was all too slick, too neat, too easy.

I actually thought the same thing at the time. Maybe he really was chopped up into little pieces?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

A body missing from a burial site that has been gone for about 400 years, and you find it the very first place (exact first spot) that you look? Those folks should hire themselves out to find misplaced collectible coins.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recall a bit of research was done about the location of the church he may have been buried in first, however.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

That building had been gone for something like 400 years.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

What part was a little too slick? The remains also had mitochondrial DNA testing that support that it is Richard III.... Curious to know your thoughts.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, extensive research done. BTW, the location of the church well known.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a good subject for a three part, six hour special on the History Channel ... that ends with no firm conclusion.

Back to Oak Island boys!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nap said:
    From Durham, coined under bishop John Sherwood.

Thank you for that attribution.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?