Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Lattice Countermarked Spain 2 reales

I had an 1807 Spain 2 reales with lattice (Cuba 1841) countermark certified by PCGS. It came back in a slab as G06, KM-3 C/M on Spanish 2R. C/M -VF Detail. It is not listed in Cuban coins certified by PCGS. Does the countermark bodybag the coin? Or did the grader not think the countermark was good enough? I'm new to countermark grading, so I'm just wondering if anybody else has seen this. Thanks.

Comments

• WorldCoinsDmitryWorldCoinsDmitry Posts: 367 ✭✭✭

The countermark essentially only makes it a different coin. I'm guessing the G06 grade is for the host coin. Why the countermark would get a details grade is impossible to say without seeing the coin, but that does sound odd.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭

Did PCGS photo the coin? Please post a cert link?

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
    1. The countermark is complete, you can even see the star inside the lattice. While the coin itself is a G06, the countermark was punched in such a way that you can see the denomination, the mintmark and the mint officials' initials. I've been a PCGS member since the early 2000's but am a newcomer to the message board, so I still don't know how to transfer photos.
  • Hmmm the number is 35030550

• OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lately I’ve only seen details grades for the countermarks. I’m not sure the details grade for countermarks should be viewed in the same negative light as it is with normal coin grades. It’s just an estimate for the state of preservation.

But I could be wrong here.