Home Precious Metals
Options

Acetone and American Gold eagles ?

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should I acetone dip my 1/10 oz and 1 oz American Gold Eagles before putting them in Air Tite containers? :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options

PS Yes I KNOW they are just bullion :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2018 1:31PM

no, they will not milkspot like ASE's. There's always the possibility of copper spotting with gold coins but rarely seen on modern gold because of higher purity. And I'm not sure an acetone dip will prevent them. Additionally copper spotting does not affect the gold content of these coins, they remain as pure as the mint indicates. Copper spotting only indicates a high concentration of the very small amount of copper in the coins.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed, no need to !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

Thanks @derryb
    Thanks @Timbuk3

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Timbuk3 said:
    Agreed, no need to !!! :)

Agree but it doesn't hurt either. It'll at least get any oily finger prints off.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

I acetone gold before grading to remove any oil hopefully preventing any future problems,,,,,, it doesn't hurt.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only would if they have fingerprints or PVC on them, otherwise it's really not necessary.

• Options

Sooooooooooooooo,
    It can not hurt and it might help.
    Where's @ricko when I need him? :smile:

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let them dry well
    Acetone melts many plastics

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    Let them dry well

Rinse with H2O after soak ? :smile:

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston .... acetone will not react with metals...it is an organic solvent. It will remove organic residues. Not sure what issue you are addressing, but gold is impervious to most solvents - stay away from aqua regia and cyanide.... Other chemicals can affect gold with the application of electric current. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko
    I just want to remove or neutralize any fingerprints, etc before LONG term storage.

• Options

PS
    I do try to stay away from the MacArthur-Forrest process, it is nasty if not performed under properly controlled conditions. :smile:

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    Let them dry well

Rinse with H2O after soak ? :smile:

I've read that you can rinse with acetone which will completely evaporate.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    edited July 6, 2018 2:22PM

I soak my coins in acetone for 30 minutes or so. Then I pull them out and lay them on a soft bath towel and then I fold it over on them and pat dry. I then immediately hit them with HOT air from a hair dryer turning over several times until they are good and dry.

I avoid water as a last step due to water spotting. When dipping silver after the dip I rinse under water,,,,,, then soak in a baking soda water mix to neutralize the dip,,,,,, then rinse again with water,,,,,, then soak in acetone,,,,,,,, then the hair dryer route.

• Options

Thanks @GRANDAM :smile:

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2018 5:39AM

I rinse coins with distilled water after an acetone treatment, and pat dry. Seems to work.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    I soak my coins in acetone for 30 minutes or so. Then I pull them out and lay them on a soft bath towel and then I fold it over on them and pat dry. I then immediately hit them with HOT air from a hair dryer turning over several times until they are good and dry.

If the acetone is pure, then it will evaporate from the coin within seconds after removal. At that point, the hair dryer is just a warm placebo. ;)

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2018 6:54AM

@astrorat said:
    If the acetone is pure, then it will evaporate from the coin within seconds after removal. At that point, the hair dryer is just a warm placebo. ;)

Maybe so but it makes me feel better,

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:

@astrorat said:

Maybe so but it makes me feel better,

LOL! Then it is worth it!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces