Home Precious Metals
Options

A pretty bad fake but a fake nonetheless!

Hello everyone!
I am going to make a long story short here with an abridged version. Bought some gold off of eBay, PAMP in assay cards. Now I bought two separate pieces of 5 grams from two separate sellers. One is definitely not like the other. Kind of scary considering the only two ways the seller had the fake was they made it themselves or, they were just another person getting duped in a domino chain of suckers! Both weigh twelve grams exactly! I was contacted by the Internet Unit of the Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry who confirmed the counterfeit. Enjoy.

A government accident left me a former man, a potato. That photo on my profile is a low resolution selfie. I like coins.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2018 6:37AM

Dianostics for your bar

I avoid all Pamp bars.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy your gold from only National bullion dealers who will buy back your bars....below is a authentic bar issued by APMEX

https://www.apmex.com/product/82247/5-gram-gold-bar-pamp-suisse-lady-fortuna-veriscan-in-assay

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with you, that’s a bad fake. I have seen many realistic looking fake Pamps though.

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

No expert here, the one the left is fake, correct?

• Options
    BustyPotatoBustyPotato Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

@rln_14 said:

Yes it is indeed the left one!

A government accident left me a former man, a potato. That photo on my profile is a low resolution selfie. I like coins.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that. I hope you get a refund back from eBay. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Timbuk3
  • Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

@BustyPotato said:

@rln_14 said:

Yes it is indeed the left one!

thanks

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got out of the gold bars game a few years back, solely due to the rise of counterfeits

• Options

Who was the seller that sold you the counterfeit?

• Options

@OPA said:

Is naming allowed on these forums if so I will name them. I just do not want to get hit with the ban hammer like you would for naming and shaming on some other forums!

• Options
    NLLNLL Posts: 34

Scary that fakes can be made with so much ease.

• Options
    edited July 8, 2018 6:38AM

@BustyPotato said:

@OPA said:

Is naming allowed on these forums if so I will name them. I just do not want to get hit with the ban hammer like you would for naming and shaming on some other forums!

I do not believe, that naming sellers who are in business selling counterfeit items, is reason for banning. We need to be made aware, along with the proper authorities, of those responsible for their criminal ventures.

My take disclosing the info would come under the below rule:

"Rule 8) This forum is provided for the education and sharing of information. Not as a personal soapbox. If you want to learn and share information about US Coins you are welcome."

• Options

@OPA said:

@BustyPotato said:

@OPA said:

I do not believe, that naming sellers who are in business selling counterfeit items, is reason for banning. We need to be made aware, along with the proper authorities, of those responsible for their criminal ventures.

"Rule 8) This forum is provided for the education and sharing of information. Not as a personal soapbox. If you want to learn and share information about US Coins you are welcome."

Well on that note, the sellers name was craig-4735. Hope this helps at least one person so nobody else gets duped.

• Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

How do 5 gram gold bars weigh 12 grams exactly each? And not both be fake?

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrkbrown87 said:
    How do 5 gram gold bars weigh 12 grams exactly each? And not both be fake?

Packaging. You can tell the one not made of gold because it will be thicker than the real one. The counterfeiter needs to make them weigh the same, and since the base metals and alloys (copper, zinc, brass/bronze, steel) are less dense than gold, they need to make the pieces bigger. They usually make them thicker rather than wider or higher to avoid immediate detection.
    Since many people will only buy these in the cards, you need to weigh them in the card.

thefinn
  • Options

@BustyPotato said:

@OPA said:

@BustyPotato said:

@OPA said:

Well on that note, the sellers name was craig-4735. Hope this helps at least one person so nobody else gets duped.

Thanks

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chinese will fake anything if there's a demand. I only buy from APMEX or JM Bullion.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO