Home U.S. Coin Forum

Carson City Mint commem in 2020?

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coinworld is reporting on a bill recently introduced, H.R. 6221, which will allow gold (100K total mintage) and silver (500K total mintage) commems to mark the 150th anniversary of the Carson City Mint.

coinworld:Legislation seeks commems to mark Carson City Mint’s 150th anniversary in 2020

They need to strike these at the CC mint with a CC mint mark.... :D

Comments

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, thanks for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great idea... I would certainly get the silver dollar, maybe the gold coin as well...I doubt the CC Mint could tool up to run these... maybe though.... That would be special. Time for another CC coin....It would be a sellout within minutes....Cheers, RickO

• HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2018 9:31AM

I am a buyer of both the gold and silver, I hope they do the design justice.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Ricko. A good idea I hope happens. Is it within the realm of possibility the CC equipment remaining could handle the job?

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Great idea... I would certainly get the silver dollar, maybe the gold coin as well...I doubt the CC Mint could tool up to run these... maybe though.... That would be special. Time for another CC coin....It would be a sellout within minutes....Cheers, RickO

No the Mint in Carson could not be used to produce these coins. They have but one press and it's been damaged and could not handle the pressure needed for dollars.
    Also, it is State of Nevada owned and not legally able to produce money.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in! :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the mint can resurrect the obverse, and reverse as they had for the gold issues in 2016- Merc, Standing Liberty, and Liberty Walking,...I'd be disappointed with anything less than a similar gesture to commemorate, and recollect the past at Carson City. I'd spend money for both if it were approved as such...

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they do it, they will just copy what they did in 2006 for the San Francisco Mint/Earthquake Commem.

thefinn
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2018 11:20PM

From "Coin Update" dated July 11th
    The Carson City Mint 150th Anniversary Commemorative Coin Act of 2018
    news.coinupdate.com/the-carson-city-mint-150th-anniversary-commemorative-coin-act-of-2018/
    Last month, Representative Mark Amodei (R-NV) introduced H.R. 6221 to Congress, a bill authorizing the United States Mint to create commemorative coins in honor of the 150th anniversary of the Carson City Mint. The Carson City Mint 150th Anniversary Commemorative Coin Act of 2018 (H.R. 6221) authorizes the creation of a maximum of 500,000 $1 silver coins and 100,000 $5 gold coins. The silver coins will retail for $10 while the gold coins will sell for $35. Proceeds from the sale of the coins will go toward the Nevada State Museum Dedicated Trust Fund. The Nevada State Museum will benefit from these proceeds, having been located at the former Carson City Mint Facility since 1939.

Those prices must be the surcharge that would go to the Nevada State Museum Dedicated Trust Fund once expenses are met and not the sales prices.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:
    news.coinupdate.com/the-carson-city-mint-150th-anniversary-commemorative-coin-act-of-2018/
    Last month, Representative Mark Amodei (R-NV) introduced H.R. 6221 to Congress, a bill authorizing the United States Mint to create commemorative coins in honor of the 150th anniversary of the Carson City Mint. The Carson City Mint 150th Anniversary Commemorative Coin Act of 2018 (H.R. 6221) authorizes the creation of a maximum of 500,000 $1 silver coins and 100,000 $5 gold coins. The silver coins will retail for $10 while the gold coins will sell for $35. Proceeds from the sale of the coins will go toward the Nevada State Museum Dedicated Trust Fund. The Nevada State Museum will benefit from these proceeds, having been located at the former Carson City Mint Facility since 1939.

Those prices must be the surcharge that would go to the Nevada State Museum Dedicated Trust Fund once expenses are met and not the sales prices.

Yep. Here's the law:

H.R.6221 - Carson City Mint 150th Anniversary Commemorative Coin Act of 2018

Specifically section 7:

SEC. 7. Surcharges.
    (a) In General.—All sales of coins minted under this Act shall include a surcharge as follows:
    (1) A surcharge of $35 per coin for the $5 coin.
    (2) A surcharge of $10 per coin for the $1 coin.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:

@ricko said:

No the Mint in Carson could not be used to produce these coins. They have but one press and it's been damaged and could not handle the pressure needed for dollars.

bob

rent it back to the federal government for a spell. its just an idea & fwiw for now

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny9434 said:

@AUandAG said:

@ricko said:

bob

rent it back to the federal government for a spell. its just an idea & fwiw for now

Yes, that way it could be repaired properly and we the state of Nevada got it back they could resume minting large tokens again!!
    I'll send that message to the state and let them see if it's a possibility.

bob :):)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congressman Amodei is from Carson City and is also a coin collector...we talk coins all the time.

CC

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2018 7:12PM

They need to get a trailer,,,,,,, put a press in it and park it in the parking lot of the Carson City Mint and boom,,,,,,,
    strike the coins with a CC Mint mark. ;)

GrandAm :)
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to disagree, but this is just another meaningless commemoration of no national interest. It's the kind of gunk that clogs collector budgets, and belittles events and people of truly national merit.

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only way this will be anything more than a nothingburger money grab is if they use actual canceled morgan & lib cc reverse dies from the Smithsonian paired with a newly designed commemorative obverse. If a reverse die explodes replace it with another. No guts, no glory! :D

The more you VAM..

@AUandAG said:

@johnny9434 said:

@AUandAG said:

@ricko said:

bob

Yes, that way it could be repaired properly and we the state of Nevada got it back they could resume minting large tokens again!!

@AUandAG said:

@johnny9434 said:

@AUandAG said:

@ricko said:

bob

good idea as for thats what it was intended for :wink:

sorry double post

• batumibatumi Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:

If those figures are the sales prices, I am 'all in'!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file