Home Sports Talk

Domed Stadiums

1970s1970s Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

The east coast and southeast can be absolutely brutal in the summer heat to watch a ball game.

My feeling is that non-domed stadiums are doomed in the future.

I see the day where every stadium is like the Mercedes Benz stadium in Atlanta.

Does anyone here have no problem sitting in that unbearable heat and humidity ? I can not stand it, but I only go to a few games a year, and when I do, I always get seats in the shade.

Comments

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Couldn't care less. I watch all games of sports I like in the comfort of my chair on my big screen TV. :)B)

Also the drinks and Hot Dogs don't set me back $10 each! :o:)

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like sitting and watching football with real fans, like in Green Bay. Nothing like sitting on a aluminum bench with 18" of space with cement steps.

thefinn
  • HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:
    I like sitting and watching football with real fans, like in Green Bay. Nothing like sitting on a aluminum bench with 18" of space with cement steps.

This.

Domes....for the untrue sports fan

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

domes go up where the taxpayers are the stupidest B)

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    Couldn't care less. I watch all games of sports I like in the comfort of my chair on my big screen TV. :)B)

+1

May I add...parking is free, car is in my garage; no line at the men's room; A/C is always perfect, no sun issues; no OUTRAGEOUS ticket prices.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:

@DIMEMAN said:

+1

May I add...parking is free, car is in my garage; no line at the men's room; A/C is always perfect, no sun issues; no OUTRAGEOUS ticket prices.

Yep!

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2018 3:05PM

I will say for football I take the outside and love it when it’s cold. UGA IN November with a hoodie is just my ideal.

Now, when that Benz was open for the soccer game a few weeks ago it was miserable. They had it open all week to work on it, and it torrential rained all week and apparently there were some drainage issues to work out. 93 degrees during the day and even for a 7pm
    Game it was disgusting in there with the dome open that day. Hot and steamy to begin with X 43k sweaty people up in it.

This was much nicer with the same temp outside.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never had a problem with the temp at a Tiger's game. Late Fall at the Big House could be a another matter.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

The UGA home opener, in that valley that is Athens/Sanford stadium, is always just miserably hot/humid.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big TV and A/C until November, at least.

@1970s said:

@thefinn said:

Have you ever sat in 95 degree temperatures with high humidity, and in the sun ?
    I can think of more pleasurable experiences, like root canal, shingles, or listening to Joe Buck.

Have you ever PLAYED in it? I have, and I would rather play in -10 weather, even with the hard ground and lack of footing.

thefinn

@DrBuster said:
    I will say for football I take the outside and love it when it’s cold. UGA IN November with a hoodie is just my ideal.

Now, when that Benz was open for the soccer game a few weeks ago it was miserable. They had it open all week to work on it, and it torrential rained all week and apparently there were some drainage issues to work out. 93 degrees during the day and even for a 7pm
    Game it was disgusting in there with the dome open that day. Hot and steamy to begin with X 43k sweaty people up in it.

This was much nicer with the same temp outside.

That's not Football. That's a Spectacle inside a Circus.

thefinn
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Randy prefers open, Curt prefers closed.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2018 7:26PM

A domed stadium is absolutely necessary if there is to be a baseball team in Tampa. If they tried to play outside, the season would run past New Years because of the all the rainouts.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

To me dumbest design for a semi-domed stadium was the old Dallas Cowboys facility. That thing had a stupid hole in the roof. It cast crazy shadows on the field as the sun moved, which had to be hell for the receivers, and made the place as cold as ice when the temperatures dipped. It was the worst of both worlds.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d be willing to bet Fenway Park will NEVER have a roof

@perkdog said:

Fenway Park will never be replaced. I lived and worked in the Boston area for 25 years, and the fans’ devotion to that antique is fanatical. After going to a game at Camden Yards, I fully understood how shortsighted that is. You can’t wash or paint away 106 years of grime. You can’t fix obstructed views because of girders, and you can’t reset the poorly placed sents down the right field line that have you bending you back out for the whole game. You also can’t fix the distortions from a left field that is too short and a right field that is too long.

I have never been to Wrigley Field in Chicago, which the other major league antique, built for the Federal League in 1914, but I dare say it might be better.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@perkdog said:

Fenway Park will never be replaced. I lived and worked in the Boston area for 25 years, and the fans’ devotion to that antique is fanatical. After going to a game at Camden Yards, I fully understood how shortsighted that is. You can’t wash or paint away 106 years of grime. You can’t fix obstructed views because of girders, and you can’t reset the poorly placed sents down the right field line that have you bending you back out for the whole game. You also can’t fix the distortions from a left field that is too short and a right field that is too long.

I have never been to Wrigley Field in Chicago, which the other major league antique, built for the Federal League in 1914, but I dare say it might be better.

Nothing is shortsighted about NOT replacing Fenway Park, it has a rich history and huge fan base even outside of NE. Camden Yards is a beautiful park, the surrounding area outside of it is a complete dump and combat zone. That park caters to business people and tourists more than it does to the locals who would be more happy vandalizing it than enjoying it anyways.

@perkdog said:

@BillJones said:

@perkdog said:

Nothing is shortsighted about NOT replacing Fenway Park, it has a rich history and huge fan base even outside of NE. Camden Yards is a beautiful park, the surrounding area outside of it is a complete dump and combat zone. That park caters to business people and tourists more than it does to the locals who would be more happy vandalizing it than enjoying it anyways.

I think you are a little hash. Having gone to many Baltimore coin shows, I can say that the city made an honest effort to hospitable and to be one of the best convention centers in the northeast and mid-Atlantic states.

The Freddy Gray incident and the aftermath have really screwed Baltimore. It’s a darn shame.