Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Looking for information

Looking for information coin is not magnetic and put next to gold clad bar and it the same any info much appreciated!
i

c

Comments

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2018 3:24PM

Hard to tell as photos are not sharp (out of focus).

What does it weigh (to the 0.01g) and what is the diameter in mm. Compare those two measurements to the standard values for the coin.

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/7769

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2018 3:49PM

I'm going with fake. The "S" looks too square.

For this date, the coin could be real gold as the date/MM combination would make it worth the gold content. You take a common 1854 $2-1/2, add an "S" and you've got a "rare" coin.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd also point out that U.S. gold coins are 90% gold NOT 100% gold, so they should not be exactly the same color as a gold bar.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it just me - doesn't the reverse look kind of funky?

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mintmark looks wrong. Here it is next to a real one. A better picture would help.
    Lance.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both look fake bar and coin.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fake

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

The whole back doesn't really look right to me. I'm leaning towards a fake

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2018 7:13PM

No good. The weakness in combination with that "cloudy" look tell it all IMO. The letters (especially on the reverse) are not as sharp as they should be either. Also, the reeding, as seen by the obverse and reverse perspectives, is not correct. I wish I could describe these phenomenon, but I just know it when I see it.

Welcome to the forum BTW!

• Options

I knew bar was clad I put it up to see it clad means cover and magnet stuck to clad not coin

• Options

Also seen this when trying to find actual info on coin

• Options

I know it different amount of of gold and from what I understand only 346 minted but was wanting to know how I can figure out if fake besides magnet test and willing for any ideas or help I live about 1.5-2 hours away from anyone that could help me

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not all clad are magnetic

The poor counterfeits are magnetic. Those with a little effort aren't

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

It's fake, but if you need to pay for an opinion, join PCGS or NGC and submit it to be graded.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2018 8:21PM

...the coin looks like she has cholcolate guts...and I know chocolate very well ;)

• Options

Well thanks for information I’ll go ahead and deface and destroy cause if it ain’t what my grandma kept for so long and worthless I’ll make sure no one else is burdened by fakes

So after tomorrow I’ll cut in half and see if fake or not I guess since I was hoping my luck may of changed but obviously not and not I’ll be throwing away everything my grandparents left me in a fire cause I have been going through a a lot and y’all fine people may been the push I need so thanks for allowing me to destroy all the stuff was pack ratted for so long I’ll just wait till bonaroo makes a offer and get rid of their property they had since the 1900s

• Options

And this is under images
    But yeah totally fake maybe chocolates inside

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

"But yeah totally fake maybe chocolates inside"...

You should be so lucky

• Options
    TomaToma Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

I'm not an expert on pre-33 gold but the mint mark looks off. I don't recommend destroying the coin. Bring it to a coin shop and ask them if they think it is real or not. Even if it is a fake coin it could still be real gold. I think you can sell counterfeits legally as long as you don't pass them off as real. Best case scenario it is real, worst case scenario you inherited a coin not worth much. Doesn't seem too bad.

• Options
    edited July 4, 2018 5:45AM

If you'll fell better send it to a grading company. You will be out maybe $100 but you know going in that it is likely fake.

As mentioned some counterfeits are. Gold. I would not destroy it or cut it up.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joshgamberella....Welcome aboard. Do not be too hasty with that coin... some counterfeits are real gold... made to capitalize on the rarity of date/mm...Have it checked by an expert and let us know .... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Well wife came home she has better camera I guess to show fake coin with chocolate inside but last pics cause my great grandmas (coins and crappy jewelry )and grandpas (rocks and arrowhead.ect)I just am putting in a bonfire tonight but at least my grandpa had guns cause at least they are of value at least to me and thanks but this forum isn’t for me but thanks for kind and polite words especially after recently losing family so one for the go

• Options

The OP claimed he came here looking for information but what he really wanted was for someone to tell him what he wanted to hear. When he didn't get that he felt that people were insulting his grandparents.

Your coin is real and it is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. Feel better? :)

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would take it to a pawn shop, many could tell you what the value of gold is.

• Options

Gold is about 40.35 per gram

The coin is 90% gold by weight. So, throw a .9 into the multiplication.

Also, do not be personally offended by the chocolate comment. It is a common counterfeit. Joke. It's for the coin, not you.

• Options

Not to be rude I meant info like weight dry and wet ways to check common countfeit tale sign just info but I seen what I got and doesn’t matter about coin anymore and I didn’t want people to tell anything other than what someone should do if infact they have a piece of history and I came up with they way people are history is too good for them let them make up their own cause when nothings saved nothing will be left to remember

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

glad you are going to keep it to remind you of your grandmother and your history

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bad fake

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file