ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

NewP's

Fun stuff... :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
Love for Music / Collector of Dreck

Comments

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure this is an official sample but it's in my sample collection!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ECHOES How many different sample slabs do you have? I've only see a few of these at the local shows that I've attended and was curious as to how rare the sample slabs are.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I see threads on sample slabs, it makes me wonder what ever happened to all the sample slabs our departed member Keiffer had....At one time, he was known as a major sample slab collector. Anyone heard anything? Cheers, RickO

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@divecchia said:
    @ECHOES How many different sample slabs do you have? I've only see a few of these at the local shows that I've attended and was curious as to how rare the sample slabs are.

Donato

100+
    I'm trying to put together a set of Roosevelt dimes in Rattlers/OGH's.
    I don't think, (at least right now), that this set will ever be 'complete'
    because every time I search ebay I find new examples...
    My 10c Samples https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/989135/rattler-ogh-sample#pagetop

@ECHOES I knew you had at least a few dozen, but did not realize you had over 100 Sample slabs.

Donato

Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

• MitchellMitchell Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭

The biggest set in my collection:

Successful BST: dmwjr, ike126, bajjerfan, morganman94, sonoradesertrat, 12voltman, duiguy, gsaguy, gsa1fan, martin, coinfame, zas107, bothuwui, gerard, kccoin, jtwitten, robcool, coinscoins, mountain_goat, and a few more.

Added a few more last night.
    Can't wait to have them in hand...

Was working on my "Collectible Holder" excel spreadsheet this AM - on row 650 and I know there are many holders not yet in the spreadsheet! :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

@Lakesammman said:
    Was working on my "Collectible Holder" excel spreadsheet this AM - on row 650 and I know there are many holders not yet in the spreadsheet! :D

Are these Samples only?

@ECHOES said:
    Added a few more last night.
    Can't wait to have them in hand...

Congrats on the new pickups.

Donato

Nope - samples, luncheons, collectors club, Long Beach Treasure Hunt, grading set coins, collectible holders - 90% PCGS.

@Lakesammman said:
    Nope - samples, luncheons, collectors club, Long Beach Treasure Hunt, grading set coins, collectible holders - 90% PCGS.

Very Cool :#

...........Dave Hall flips, PCGS generation sets, etc, etc. :D

Notice anything different with this one?!?

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

Backwards...

I "cherrypicked" a PCGS Authentic that way off @Lakesammman a couple weeks back. I quoted because I didn't notice from the photos and he didn't notice until packaging for shipment.

newp (Nothing special except it's a new cert#):

And of course, spent too much on muddonk's sales.

And at Tyler Coin Club show two weekends ago.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

Echoes, I don't know where you find this stuff but I want one! :D

BStrauss3 - don't embarrass me in public!! :o

@Lakesammman said:
    Echoes, I don't know where you find this stuff but I want one! :D

Cherrypicked Lakesammman? Unfathomable...

Found at 3am whilst enjoying my first cup'o joe preparing for the day ahead.
    Muddonk, he has some crazy stuff...

@ECHOES said:

@Lakesammman said:

Cherrypicked Lakesammman? Unfathomable...

I had no clue. That seems to be par for most of my best finds... "Even a blind Squirrel occasionally finds a nut"

Found at 3am whilst enjoying my first cup'o joe preparing for the day ahead.

I did some of my best findings on the exercise bike when I could page through a thousand eBay listings...

That's how I found this:

and then this

Muddonk, he has some crazy stuff...

Yes, Muddonk has crazy stuff... I lost a lot of eBay auctions to him and @Lakesammman over the years.

-----Burton
  • bob48bob48 Posts: 449 ✭✭✭

Nice Pick up on the low serial numbers, I still have not found any below 1000.
    Lowest ANA/ANACS serial number is 1155 for a 1881-S Morgan MS-63.

Bob

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gone but not forgotten. .Keiffer.

@bob48 said:
    Nice Pick up on the low serial numbers, I still have not found any below 1000.
    Lowest ANA/ANACS serial number is 1155 for a 1881-S Morgan MS-63.

Newb question, when ANACS added the barcode to the holder they started with #1?

• Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ECHOES said:
    Newb question, when ANACS added the barcode to the holder they started with #1?

Yes & No...

When Amos Press bought ANACS from ANA, they continued to use the XXnnnn certs for several years. They did change the hologram. In fact on REnnnn and EXnnnn they just kept going.

A game I play is to find the highest ANA REnnnn and EXnnnn and the lowest Amos REnnnn and EXnnnn

When they switched to all numeric certs and added the bar code, they likely started at 1. BUT they also had a conversion chart from the XXnnnn to nnnnnn values (it's still on their website - search for it, they use a weird content management system that doesn't give good links).

Today you can query for CDnnnn or 1nnnn.

It appears they hop-scotched around the #s already in use. Thus after 9999 would have been 70001 not 10001 (because that was already 'used' for CD0001). Then 15nnnn and 21nnnn, 22nnnn, 25nnnn and finally 28nnnn and up.

Somewhere in the high 2 millions/low 3 millions, ANACS was sold to Anderson Press (although this is left out of the history page on ANACS' site). Then they switched to the blue slant tops.

The Yellow slant tops were the Driving Force, LLC ownership when they moved to Colorado.

Today they still use the Yellow slant tops but have been owned for the past couple years by EKW, LLC about which I can find nothing.

-----Burton

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file