Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Auction-House Practices . . .

Recently tracking some world coins in California dealer auctions. I have bid on a couple. Their estimate is extreme on the items and reasonable bids never get very far - what generally happens is they are "bought" for several hundred dollars over reality . . . the same price range each time and here's the whammy by the SAME bidder! Next, a couple of days later they are re-listed and the cycle continues, I bid, don't get it, outbid and sold - you guessed it, to the same bidder as before (think they would at least change the online moniker! It is the SAME two coins (NGC cert. numbers) over and over again. Instead of a $1.00 start price, why not start with a reserve. etc. Really appears to perhaps be a scam, maybe they don't actually have the coins and therefore can't really sell them, just use them to appear to have diverse inventory, etc. On the other hand as they perhaps know the bidders "high bids" they just bid internally to keep the coins until they can get someone to pay the inflated estimate price. Emailed them - guess what, no reply . . . surprise, surprise . . .

Similar experiences anyone?

RKL

Comments

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many auction houses put "invisible" reserves on coins via bidding on the coins themselves. Heritage does it. Legend does it.

I agree more transparency is warranted, but in a world of people hell bent on no regulation of the coin markets, the shady practices will continue.

I'd appreciate if you would disclose the name of this auction firm. The practice is probably in the fine print of their policies.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

its happening in Europe very often! :s

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some firms reserve the right to bid on their own coins.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well we all try to pay the lowest price anyway, don't we?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Potted plants are very aggressive bidders ... but apparently usually don't have the money to pay. :)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    celaviecelavie Posts: 31 ✭✭

An example of some Congo pieces being "sold" and then re-listed multiple times.

http://www.icollector.com/search.aspx?q=1888 congo&p=1&ps=20&is=0&ex=0&so=13&sf=1&hi=0

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

@celavie said:
    An example of some Congo pieces being "sold" and then re-listed multiple times.

http://www.icollector.com/search.aspx?q=1888 congo&p=1&ps=20&is=0&ex=0&so=13&sf=1&hi=0

Look like they did it 10 times on this piece.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options

Here we go again: it has been a couple of days and one of the previously mentioned coins is back up - re-listed with a $1.00 start price, unrevealed reserve.

http://www.icollector.com/1888-7-Belgian-Congo-5-Centimes-Coin-NGC-MS65RB_i30644953

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s one more reason to dislike auctions. I buy via “private treaty” as much as I can. At least you know what the prices are without all of the games.

I thought that there were laws against auction houses shilling on their own bids. I remember an auction house got busted for that a few years ago. I suppose it’s a matter of crossing the wrong person or business.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Here’s one more reason to dislike auctions. I buy via “private treaty” as much as I can. At least you know what the prices are without all of the games.

I thought that there were laws against auction houses shilling on their own bids. I remember an auction house got busted for that a few years ago. I suppose it’s a matter of crossing the wrong person or business.

I think if it's buried in the small print then they think it's justified.

:angry:

-Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, the 'siezed' and 'assets' type of name seller, and using icollector as the platform.

Basically as soon as I see any type of pseudo-official-government name or the uses of any combination of seized and/or assets in the seller's title or business description, I just keep on moving.

I recall a few 'live auction' events set on eBay with similarly named group(s). Nothing I watched ever went for anything other than retail pricing, and the feedback was terrible for high cost/low quality/horrendous customer service.

I also strongly suspect with some 'public auctions' there is an attempt to establish a public 'sell' price, so a computer scan of 'results' would support their higher asking price. Especially when the same item 'sells' multiple times at a surprisingly good price.

Hey, look at this gem in the terms/conditions from the actual website (not the icollector platform)...first the usual verbiage of everything is sold 'as is', 'no refunds' etc. Then this gem:
    IF THERE EVER IS A CASE OF A REFUND BEING ISSUED, YOU WILL BE CHARGED A 15% RESTOCKING FEE AND YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE TO PAY SHIPPING FEES AND BUYER’S PREMIUMS WILL NOT BE REFUNDED. PLEASE BID RESPONSIBLY AND ASK ALL QUESTIONS PRIOR TO PLACING A BID.
    So, no refund, but if we give you one because we misrepresented, mis- sent, sent a fake, we only showed the good side and you forgot to ask about the other side which had the big tear, or whatever...you still get to pay the premiums, a restocking fee AND pay to mail it back.

I love how an absolutely no returns allowed group (hey it's an 'auction') place still has such a slimy type of refund description.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geez !!! :s

Timbuk3
  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

HA for sure push up the price and some of items back on the next auction. The other internet auction houses are even worst. Just bid the price you want to buy don't believe the price you see in auction. It is OK for not getting the item but it is not OK to buy a over price item and hold it for decades before you can sell for break even.

• Options

UPDATE 7/7/2018

Same coin just "sold" again! Same "buyer" and price range - it jumped on the "floor" from about $40. to $300. Same coin (same buyer) "sold" on June 29 ($250) and on June 21 ($275), etc. These prices don't include the added "buyers" fees.

http://www.icollector.com/1888-7-Belgian-Congo-5-Centimes-Coin-NGC-MS65RB_i30644953

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brg5658 said:

@BillJones said:

I think if it's buried in the small print then they think it's justified.

:angry:

Today's auction house terms can be summed up very simply: "We can do whatever we want and you have no recourse."

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

ts start black list..

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's crazy.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would scratch them off the list. Frustrating indeed. Auctions are suppose to be chances to make good deals sometimes not to good. either way it should never be outright fraud. We all like a deal here and there or at least some entertainment in the process. your correct to say when you see the same one over and over something not smelling right.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member