Options

Bad coin jokes

2»

Comments

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

A local bar hosted a group of people for a family gathering. They began to wrack up a rather large bill to the tune of $1,950. The waitress looks over and says to a waiter, "That man looks strangely familiar."

The man handed over a $1000 bill and said, "I will pay the remaining $950 within a month with no interest accrued". Begrudgingly, the owner agreed.

The man returned a few days later, had a beer, and walked out without saying anything.

On the 30th day he returned to settle his debts. He handed over another thousand dollar bill and said, "I will settle my debts if you return the $50 in silver coins". Begrudgingly, the owner agreed.

The waitress leans in and tells the waiter, "That man is Grover Cleveland!"

"What gave it away?" asked the waiter. "His face printed on the $1000 bills?" he asked.

"No," said the waitress. "The two non-consecutive terms!"

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

From Steven Wright ...

"Do you think when they asked George Washington for his ID he just took out a quarter?"

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

We need a groan button

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

@carabonnair said:

@sellitstore said:
    I thought that I was good at math but still can't figure this one out.

It's not $27 + $2, but rather $27 - $2 = $25. There is no "other" dollar.

[Edited to add - I've seen a similar change-making scam, or maybe it was unintentional, on the bourse.]

I probably first ran into this riddle almost 50 years ago. It's just mental sleight of hand. They never "paid" $9 each. They paid 8 1/3 dollars each once the $5 refund occurred, and each was owed 1 2/3 dollars. The bellhop merely kept the 2/3 dollar each - $2. It's a classic though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file