Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Discourteous Registry Members Rant

CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 29, 2018 12:05PM in U.S. Coin Forum

OK, just a rant, but to me it is very discourteous (no, it's just flat out rude) for a "fellow collector" not remove his/her registry set coins when they sell their coins, "especially" after numerous emails have been sent to have them removed from their set. I just spent a good deal of time entering almost 100 coins only to get the dreaded "pop ups" (for 3 different coins) telling me that certificate number was already in someone else's set. (And yes, I know I can send a note to customer services after 3 days with pictures proving I now own the coins and they'll take care of it, but I rather the past owner remove it like he/she should.) There are probably legit reasons in some cases but it's been months (or years) since I bought most of these coins? I'll forgive them if they have passed away and can't deleted the coins. :#:#:#

I guess they only cared when they owned the coin. I'd tell you how I really feel but I'm not ready to be banned from this site just yet.

Rant off...

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I fully agree with you. When you sell or trade a coin that has been in your registry set, you should delete it ASAP.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Normally do that just after I print the shipping label. And yes I have had to have the nice folks at the registry remove a few for me to it's a hassle.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm really meticulous about keeping records and taking care of such things, immediately, but I'm sure that there are folks who aren't. Yes, it is a minor aggravation.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also have the same issues... I just go directly to B.J. at PCGS and she will automatically fix it for you.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe they're dead.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...it was super easy for me when I broke up and sold mine...as not one single coin belonged in a registry set to begin with...it won't be like that next time though ;)

• Options

@ms70 said:
    Maybe they're dead.

Now that's a good excuse and it could be why they don't act on the emails too. As I mentioned, in such a case, I'll forgive them. :)

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's quite possible that they aren't the ones who sold them to you. If the coins went from an estate to a dealer, the dealer would probably not bother to register the coins and certainly the deceased would not remove the coins.

I have about 300 slabs in inventory now and I haven't registered any of them. I even have about 25 in my "permanent collection", none of which are registered to me.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    Maybe they're dead.

Or totally out of it and in a nursing home...

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had an interesting situation this week after buying a coin from a Dealer on Ebay. Short story - a guys wife sells his coins to a dealer while in the middle of a divorce (common property state) without telling the dealer or husband. Husband finds out after few coins are sold and deleted by PCGS so he contacts the Dealer who feels bad for the guy and agrees to sell him his set back (or whats left of it) and his cost. After 2 weeks the guy makes no effort, so the coins go back up for sale. I buy one and have to have PCGS release it because he refuses. I am sure the guy is ticked off, but hey, not releasing the coins at this point seems childish to me.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@ms70 said:
    Maybe they're dead.

As their greedy ungrateful children sell all their stuff!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    edited June 29, 2018 6:35PM

@jmlanzaf said:
    It's quite possible that they aren't the ones who sold them to you.

No doubt in many cases (probably most ?) a coin that has been registered at one time has changed hands several times before someone tries to register it again and finds it's still registered in someones collection.

I know I have bought, sold and traded 1000's of PCGS coins over the years and never registered any until recently.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@ms70 said:
    Maybe they're dead.

No......there's a few here yet occasionally enjoying what brain farts they have left.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    uscoinguyuscoinguy Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

Interesting- I was just going to write the same rant as the OP. 2 of the last 5 coins I bought from GC are locked in someone else's collection. Probably the same guy had both coins.

Always trying to learn more
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just go to PCGS customer service if no luck with initial email

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file