Options

Show me a tarnished JFK half

KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    shinywhiteshinywhite Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum although I've been stalking it for quite some time. I've been a PM stacker for several years but my interest is definitely shifted to numismatics. I have a heart beat for "errors" and halves. I'm soooo "green" to this that I'm scared. I dont want to make stupid costly mistakes. But, do you agree that halves is a good place to start for a "newbie" like me?

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I am not the best at it but over the years I have put together about four sets. My first set was raw coins in 2x2's mostly from mint sets and proof sets. Later got into certified coins and had two different sets in the top five at different times in my life. Recent collecting has been Mercury dime's and Type coins for the Everyman Registry.
    BTW Welcome to the forum.

• Options

What has slowly but surely been steering towards numismatics is buying the pcgs or Ngc grade bullion coins, i.e., Australian wedge tailed eagle and silver eagles. I watched some youtubers on halves, and seems to be deep enough for a learned collector yet easy enough for someone like me.

• Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

To get the thread back on track

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shinywhite said:
    Hey guys, I'm new to this forum although I've been stalking it for quite some time. I've been a PM stacker for several years but my interest is definitely shifted to numismatics. I have a heart beat for "errors" and halves. I'm soooo "green" to this that I'm scared. I dont want to make stupid costly mistakes. But, do you agree that halves is a good place to start for a "newbie" like me?

Welcome! I'd say that halves would be a decent starting point. Specifically Franklins, it's a short set and none of them are terribly expensive even in pretty high grades. There is consideration to strike when grading with the FBL designation, fair amount of varieties, and a nice big-ish silver coin. The early proofs are a little pricey but that won't matter if you just want to put together a circulation strike set.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

According to @ricko, this one of mine has a little too much tarnish. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:

@shinywhite said:

Welcome! I'd say that halves would be a decent starting point. Specifically Franklins, it's a short set and none of them are terribly expensive even in pretty high grades. There is consideration to strike when grading with the FBL designation, fair amount of varieties, and a nice big-ish silver coin. The early proofs are a little pricey but that won't matter if you just want to put together a circulation strike set.

Yes, I'm on par with what you have stated. Like I say, I'm just getting my toes wet in this particular field(s). I have a pile of junk silver with an abundance of mixed halves and domes I'm sorting through to see what I have. I'm sure I dont have anything worth stabbing as of yet, but I'm on the hunt!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston ....Well...just a smidgen at the back of the hair.... :D:D Nice Kennedy... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Hey guys, 1 more question and I swear I'll leave you alone...lol (doubtful

• Options

Does natural toning effect the value of a coin? For the better and or worse??

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shinywhite said:
    Does natural toning effect the value of a coin? For the better and or worse??

If it is eye appealing natural toning it will increase the value. Learning what that is is the tricky part.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acquired this Proof JFK from a forum member about a month ago. One of the nicest I have seen.

• Options

I think the toning looks good but I always figured it would depreciate the grade of a coin. I know some people who try to tone a coin with different "techniques". I like the natural toning tho....sometimes it's a bit too much. Thank you all for the replies. I'm just a baby to all of this. I actually got overwhelmed when I seen how big of a "world" numismatics is. It blows my mind the depth of it.

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2018 8:50AM
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2018 12:27PM

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

a circulated proof that I found this week roll searching.

there is a bicentennial with some very light blue toning behind it, but I can't capture it right.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

The Varieties

• Options

All photos taken by me with natural light, my Google Pixel 2 XL camera phone. None are graded. Rollover images for larger size. I hope you enjoy!

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

@mt_msla said:
    All photos taken by me with natural light, my Google Pixel 2 XL camera phone. None are graded. Rollover images for larger size. I hope you enjoy!

Is that second coin down a DDO? looks like it.

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@Bodin no. After your comment I got the USB scope on it. Doesn't appear to be. Thank you though for the comment.

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2018 4:04AM

This was my 1964 for the three years (2014–2016) when I had the #1 Circulation Strikes Registry Set (now retired)

https://pcgs.com/SetRegistry/half-dollars/kennedy-half-dollars-specialty-sets/kennedy-half-dollars-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1964-present/alltimeset/52604

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file