Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

eBay Question

Tonight with 1-2 seconds left, with plenty of distance from my maximum bid, I was outbid by one dollar, the next increment. The winning bidder only bid once, at the end. Did the winning bidder know my maximum bid? Sure feels like he/she did. Anyone else have this same disappointing experience on eBay?

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.

Comments

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2018 7:50PM

Several times. Most likely a snipe program bidder with a high max.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭

Story of my life on ebay.

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • tonedSilvertonedSilver Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

$1.00 increment is between items that sell within $25-$99.99. If your max bid is $80 and I bid $200 in the last second I’ll win the item for $81. Hope this helps.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, happened to me before !!! :(

Timbuk3
  • I rather that happen than my max be underbid by one dollar most times :)

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I place my max bid, it does not bug me when someone bids more because they paid more than I was willing to go.

• bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for your answers, we all most likely have had this happen. I much rather buy from a dealer one-on-one than an auction but every now and then I see a nice coin on eBay and bid.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.