Home Sports Talk

Tim Tebow suddenly looking like a pro baseball player

stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 27, 2018 12:49PM in Sports Talk

https://nypost.com/2018/06/27/tim-tebow-suddenly-looking-like-a-pro-baseball-player/

Tim Tebow suddenly looking like a pro baseball player

The jokes have slowed considerably. The playful jabs have begun to subside. Tim Tebow is proving he belongs, and lately he’s doing more than that. He has been performing at a high level this month.

Just ask opposing Double-A managers who raved about the strides the former Heisman Trophy winner has made this year with the Mets’ affiliate in Binghamton. They have cited his improved plate discipline, pitch recognition and opposite-field power.

“He looks like a different guy than last year,” Double-A Hartford manager Warren Schaeffer told The Post in a phone interview.

I'd say the chances are fairly good that Tebow will be up to the bigs in September. I mean why not?

I've always liked Tebow. I hope he does well, except against the Phillies. ;)

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not? He'll definitely sell tickets and generate revenue during an otherwise lost season. I'd like to see him do well but the odds are against him developing into a bona fide major league player.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2018 4:57PM

@grote15 said:
    Why not? He'll definitely sell tickets and generate revenue during an otherwise lost season. I'd like to see him do well but the odds are against him developing into a bona fide major league player.

Sorry to say, and I hope I'm completely wrong, but if Tebow does make it to the Mets, I think that MLB pitching would likely eat him alive.

He may pop a few home runs, and get cheers beyond belief, but he would struggle to hit .200 in my opinion.

But it would be sort of a fun September for Mets fans with Tebow on the team, and frankly, fun for a number of other MLB fans around the country who would tune in to see how Tebow does.

I see nothing wrong with doing it. After all, the game is supposed to be about entertainment for the fans, and that's what Tebow would bring to MLB for a month.

I would agree on all counts with that assessment. It's hard not to root for him in any case.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

That TD pass in OT to beat Pittsburgh in the playoffs a few years ago was the terrific cap to a storybook season... Till they had to go up to NE the following week, that is.

@grote15 said:
    That TD pass in OT to beat Pittsburgh in the playoffs a few years ago was the terrific cap to a storybook season... Till they had to go up to NE the following week, that is.

Most may not remember this, but Tebow was with the Philadelphia Eagles in one preseason when Chip Kelly coached. Tebow didn't perform all that terribly, but it was painfully obvious that he just wasn't good enough to succeed even as a #3.

Tebow was slow, and If you're a QB in the NFL and you are slow, then you had better have a rocket for an arm, and Tebow didn't have that either.

Cutting Tebow was one of the few right moves that Chip Kelly made during his three years with the Eagles.

He sure could run the ball for a QB, though. And despite the horrid completion percentage, he seemed to have a knack for late game heroics. That one season he got them to the AfC Championship, I recall Denver pulling several games out of the fire. People were actually beginning to believe he may have had divine intervention, it was that remarkable at times.

That was an amazing season Tebow had.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another kneeler :D

@bronco2078 said:

Yea, but done the right way. :)

@1970s said:
    Jackie Bradley is hitting under .200 for a very good Red Sox team, but he brings
    good defense to the table.

Tebow could hit .200 and bring good qualities the Mets need. Like leadership, belief,
    and marketing. I think his jersey would sell well, and advertisers would be happy.

Without question it would be good for the game in a variety of ways.

I think even if Tebow flounders if he's called up, he would probably still be back next season at AAA, unless he does so poorly in September, that he decides to hang it up.

Of course he needs a good showing in July and August at AAA to get it done, a bit more improvement in the minors which could happen, and then it's up to the Mets.

And if it happens and Tebow is with the Mets in September, i know some haters out there will whine, "Oh but Tebow is taking the spot on the roster that a young kid could have and improve on his game" or some other crap. Let's tell it like it is...Tebow is still only 30 years old, and he's worked damn hard at the game, and if he does improve a bit in July and August, he well deserves a chance to show what he can do it the bigs.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2018 8:55AM

U.Florida QBs and the NFL are usually never a good mix. I would think MLB would be the same.

@1970s said:
    At least Tim can one day say that he was a better baseball player than Michael Jordan was.

It really makes you appreciate how extremely talented Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders were.

What about Jim Thorpe...in my opinion the GOAT all around athlete.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of guys were great in their younger days. Harmon Killebrew was a High School All-American in Football and a star basketball player.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dave Parker was pretty good also, being drafted out of college by professional baseball, football and basketball.

Heck if as a kid he laced up ice skates and picked up a hockey stick he probably would have been drafted into the NHL.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe there are stories of them literally holding up races so Jackie Robinson could run between innings of a baseball game. Track, baseball, football - lettered in those three for sure (maybe hoops too?) at UCLA...

Also, Jim Brown is up for greatest football player all time and IS the greatest lacrosse player of all time. Hard to beat that...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

I believe there are stories of them literally holding up races so Jackie Robinson could run between innings of a baseball game. Track, baseball, football - lettered in those three for sure (maybe hoops too?) at UCLA...

Also, Jim Brown is up for greatest football player all time and IS the greatest lacrosse player of all time. Hard to beat that...

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

I think Dave Winfield was also drafted in three sports - hoops, baseball and football.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

Tibow would never kneel!

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

Tibow would never kneel!

Who's Tibow?

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

Tibow would never kneel!

Who's Tibow?

He's the guy now playing for the Mits minor league club.

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

Tibow would never kneel!

Who's Tibow?

:/B) I guess I won't be representing the forum at the spelling bee!

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

Tibow would never kneel!

Who's Tibow?

If I have to explain the jokes its going to spoil the fun for me here. :*

@bronco2078 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

Tibow would never kneel!

Who's Tibow?

If I have to explain the jokes its going to spoil the fun for me here. :*

Sorry.....I got your joke seconds after I posted my reply. :/B)

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish him all the success in the world. Would love to see him deserving of MLB callup some day

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went and scouted Tim last night. He DH'd and went 1-4 with an opposite field drive for a single.
    One thing that stands out is that he is physical specimen.
    I wish him success as well.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim broke his hand the other night and is likely done for this season.
    He turns 31 in August.
    I would have liked to have seen him finish strong this year and continue to improve.

Consolation prize is that now he can spend more time with Miss Universe girlfriend. ;)

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea I’m always going to root for Tebow

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

He is a guy you can get behind, he is funny and honest. Great overall athlete, Great man.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

@sparky64 said:
    Tim broke his hand the other night and is likely done for this season.
    He turns 31 in August.
    I would have liked to have seen him finish strong this year and continue to improve.

Consolation prize is that now he can spend more time with Miss Universe girlfriend. ;)

First I've heard that. Really a darn shame.

With the Mets playing so poorly, it would have added some fun to their season, and also fun to many baseball fans rooting for him, to see Tebow have his shot in the bigs.