Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Look how detailed the deceptive "old" electrotypes were!

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

This item could have been authenticated with a specific gravity test if the surface had not flaked off. The electrotypes made around the turn of the 20th Century could be very deceptive! I think this one is from that time period.

The best electro I ever saw was a 1794 blue-gray half dime in AU that went through at least two major actions as genuine! We caught that piece in 1973. :) Every time I started to "write-it-up" and certify it as genuine, my pen would not move on the paper and I put it back to study it further. That's one thing lacking today. TPGS are under pressure to get it done the day before YESTERDAY! Back then, the only important thing was to get it right.

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is way cool. B) Thanks for sharing with us.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing - do you have photos of the whole coin you could post?

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like seeing these and am glad they are being preserved and studied. But why aren't they being condemned the way some people condemn Chinese counterfeits?

It is almost as if the word "electrotype" adds some degree of credibility. Until my post, nowhere in this thread has the word "counterfeit" been used.

I am not trying to be argumentative, but am just curious about the distinction.

• Options

IMO there is a huge difference.

Long ago, electrotypes were made by reputable sources as the mints, and museums. They were made for study and exhibit. They actually looked like genuine pieces. Additionally, all through time, counterfeiters have made copies of current coins and those from the past. Many circulated as genuine. Contemporary counterfeits are eagerly sought after and many fakes (example: Mexican 8 Reales) are worth more to collectors than the genuine pieces!

Until a little over a decade ago, just about everything from China was worthless crap, unfit for even teaching any one other than brand new collectors. That is still the way it is for 95% of their crap yet even longtime collectors write pages of comments on coins that wouldn't fool my dog by scent alone!

Here is the thing. The knowledge of collectors and dealers varies. The quality of fakes varies. The more knowledgeable a collector is the less attractive a low quality fake is to them. Additionally, we have reached the point in time where a hand lens is virtually worthless! That's because a small percentage of counterfeits made buy countries around the world (like Bulgaria) - including China are so well-made that they may defy detection by experts for awhile! These are the fakes that are important for the folks who collect counterfeits. These are the coins that will join the ranks of deceptive fakes from the past such as the "Micro O" Morgan dollars and the Electro's posted above.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well as the collector ages so goes the eyes.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

Prediction (not that I am the first): if/when the era of Chinese counterfeits ends, they will one day be collected, books written about them, etc.

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, the micro O is a classic. One of the best ... except maybe if you prefer counterfeiting a boatload of nickels, lol.

Those are amazing contemporary electrotypes.

Doug
  • Options

@JBK said:
    Prediction (not that I am the first): if/when the era of Chinese counterfeits ends, they will one day be collected, books written about them, etc.

Get 'em now while they're cheap.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Insider 2: NO, NO, NO. Forum members hate electrotypes!
    Seriously, I fully agree with what you wrote above. Poorly executed electros are all over the place. Some of the really good ones, still in top-notch condition, are quite deceptive. And very interesting, running the gamut from 17th- and 18th-century patterns, tokens, and historic medals to pieces produced from altered host coins. One of my electrotypes is of a Good Samaritan Shilling (branded a fake by Eric Newman almost 60 years ago).

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want a Jackie Robinson gold electrotype.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

Yup. "Historical significance" comes with age. All kinds of double standards when it comes to "counterfeits", "electrotypes", "fantasy", "cinderellas".

I also feel the same way about "cleaned" versus "curated" or "conserved".

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@JBK said:

Yup. "Historical significance" comes with age. All kinds of double standards when it comes to "counterfeits", "electrotypes", "fantasy", "cinderellas".

What is a "cinderella"? I'm not familiar with this term in relation to coins.

• Options

The electrotype shown below was made using a 1721-H French Colonies 9 deniers host (these circulated in North America). It was once graded PCGS XF, and now recognized as an electrotype.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@JBK said:

I've only heard the term associated with postage stamps. It is an entire category of stamp-like "labels" not issued by a postal authority or good for postage. Neat stuff.

• Options

@Insider2 said:

@PerryHall said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@JBK said:

I've only heard the term associated with postage stamps. It is an entire category of stamp-like "labels" not issued by a postal authority or good for postage. Neat stuff.

Sort of like Easter Seals?

• Options
    edited June 27, 2018 2:14PM

Come to think about it, just as a Dan Carr Piece. A Cinderella token. They fit the definition and they are neat too.

Oops, there goes my thread... :(

• Options
    edited June 27, 2018 3:30PM

@PerryHall said:

Sort of like Easter Seals?

Interesting question. I never thought of Easter Seals as Cinderellas, but they could be. To me, Cinderellas are fantasy stamps, but that might be too limited a view.

We can post the question over on the stamps forum if you can wait a few weeks for an answer. :D

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    Come to think about it, just as a Dan Carr Piece. A Cinderella token. They fit the definition and they are neat too.

Oops, there goes my thread... :(

To get this thread back on track, it always seemed strange to me that electrotypes never carried the stigma that other counterfeits carried. Why is this or am I way off base?

• Options

What I think does not matter. I guess it depends on intent. If a museum sends an electro to another museum so what. If it gets out on the market and is sold as a genuine, that's a different thing. Counterfeits are all (?) made to deceive. So in the end case, both are the same.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@JBK said:

Yes, it is a philatelic term usually. I sometimes apply it to coins myself, but the usage is not common.

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    What I think does not matter. I guess it depends on intent. If a museum sends an electro to another museum so what. If it gets out on the market and is sold as a genuine, that's a different thing. Counterfeits are all (?) made to deceive. So in the end case, both are the same.

Are they? There are all kinds of "counterfeit" souvenir Morgans sold in shops in Asia. I'm not sure either the buyers or sellers are even pretending they are real in all cases.

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

Short of the very-obvious flaking, what is the best way to tell if a coin is an electrotype copy?

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool thread! Here are 3 I've purchased over the years.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing your finding in details @Insider2 as well as your follow ups :)

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

Have you ever seen an electrotype with a reeded or lettered edge? My understanding is that electrotypes were coins with a plain edge and were mostly copper coins.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sonorandesertrat said:

@MikeInFL said:
    Short of the very-obvious flaking, what is the best way to tell if a coin is an electrotype copy?

A few hints that a piece is likely an electrotype:
    1. A thin seam along the edge. Sometimes 5x magnification is needed to spot this, particularly if the maker tried to cover it up by burnishing.
    2. Electrotypes were made from two thin electroformed shells (obverse and reverse) that had to be joined together after a filler was added (usually lead). The weight will not match that of a genuine piece.
    3. Most electrotypes have surface blemishes: some of the filler peeks through a hole in one of the shells, especially if there is wear as a result of careless handling.
    4. There may be surface imperfections (blems or pimples) on one or both sides that result from bubbling during the electroplating process itself. Pieces that look 'as made' (analogous to mint state) will not be lustrous.
    5. There is a known coin, with a traceable provenance, having marks and strike qualities that match the electrotype. Rather like identifying a transfer die counterfeit by finding the host coin.

Also ...unlike the genuine counterparts, electrotypes will fail the 'ring test' as they were not struck.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very educational thread. For years I worked in an industry that did metal plating (Printed Circuit Boards and electronic components)...Gold, copper, tin-lead, silver...and a few of our more 'innovative' people did try some electrotype work in the dark hours....among other things. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

"Have you ever seen an electrotype with a reeded or lettered edge?"

Yes. While it is true that most electrotypes have plain edges and copper shells, there are some that were given treatments after the shells were filled and joined. For example, the pieces could be plated with silver or gold. A small number, very skillfully made, were given edge treatments (with a specialty machine?): reeding, lettering, vine and bars.

• Options

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    "Have you ever seen an electrotype with a reeded or lettered edge?"

Yes. While it is true that most electrotypes have plain edges and copper shells, there are some that were given treatments after the shells were filled and joined. For example, the pieces could be plated with silver or gold. A small number, very skillfully made, were given edge treatments (with a specialty machine?): reeding, lettering, vine and bars.

Thanks. I learn a lot here. I get the feeling sometimes that if someone here doesn't know something coin related, it probably isn't worth knowing.

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 1786 Vermont "Baby Head" is as nice as I have seen:

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    Have you ever seen an electrotype with a reeded or lettered edge? My understanding is that electrotypes were coins with a plain edge and were mostly copper coins.

Yes. I have a Proof 187(?) half dollar in copper that is an electrotype. I'm virtually 100% sure it is Mint made as there is not a blemish on it. The only way to tell is the seam on the edge where the shells were put together. In all honesty, I never bothered to take its SpGr and keep forgetting to see what the experts think. I'll need to find it!

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

" I have a Proof 187(?) half dollar in copper that is an electrotype."

If you ever want to part with it, send me a PM.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file