Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

British Kings "Bullet Book", Richard II, 1377 - 1399

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 26, 2018 12:21PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Richard II Half Penny, S-1699

• The best period of Richard II’s reign was in his first days when he was just 14 years old. High taxes under Edward III plus the lingering distress over the Black Death plague led to a peasant revolt. The rebels killed the Archbishop of Canterbury and the treasurer. At first Richard took refuge in the Tower of London, but then he decided to go out to meet the rebels. On the third meeting Richard met with the leader of rebels, Wat Tyler. Fearing for the king’s safety, the Mayor of London struck Tyler dead when he made threatening gestures toward the king. The situation could have turned violent, but the king told the crowd, “Sirs, will you kill your king? I am your leader. Follow me.” The crowd dispersed with the promises from the king for reforms, but the king never kept his word. It was a sign of things to come.

• The king’s chief benefactor was John of Gaunt who was the wealthiest and most powerful noble in England.

• There is considerable evidence that Richard II was mentally ill.

• The king demanded that he be addressed and treated as a monarch. He played favorites with the nobles and spent money lavishly on feasts and other entertainments.

• The king was unable or unwilling to work with his opponents despite the calling of two Parliaments. At one point he razed a building because his wife had died in it. The king showed signs of mental illness.

• The king was forced to abdicate. He was imprisoned and was either starved or forced to starve himself to death.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments