Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Edward I, Longshanks, hammered coinage....two examples

SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 26, 2018 4:48PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

@BillJones excellent thread on Edward I prompted me to image my two examples of Edward I coinage..

Edward was born in 1239 and lived 'til 1307. This long cross penny is from Bury St. Edmunds mint

Edward, called Longshanks, was off on the Ninth Crusade in 1272 when he was informed of his father's death. He returned to England and was crowned in 1274.

This second penny is from the London mint and is ex. Llanddona Hoard, Anglesey, Wales

The coins of the Llanddona hoard were found on a stretch of beach that was used as a shortcut at low tide. They were discovered between a layer of shells and sand. One (or more) pieces had fabric clinging to them.

Believed to be from a single deposit, the hoard dates to sometime in the late 1320s to early 1330s.

My example is ex. @lordmarcovan and here's a little more information about the hoard.

The Llanddona Hoard of Edward I-II Pennies
from the Isle of Anglesey, Wales

Discovered with the aid of metal
detectors on Llanddona Beach, Red
Wharf Bay between September 1999
and August 2006. Almost 1000 silver
coins were recovered, English pennies
of Edward I-II from various mints, Irish
Pennies of Edward I, Scottish Sterlings
of Alexander III and John Baliol and
various Continental Esterlins from
the Low Countries.

Comments

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

those picture are prestine

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent information about Edward I and especially the hoard of coins. B)

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome!

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting information, thanks !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2018 3:24AM

This ca. 1300-1310 Long Cross silver penny of Edward I "Longshanks" was the first coin I found on my 2013 metal detecting trip to England.

That trip was partly paid for by unsolicited donations from some very kind forum members - a gesture I have not forgotten. I'm talking to you, @llafoe - among others. You know who you are! That journey checked off one of the bigger boxes on my "bucket list", and I think it might have been the adventure of my life, even though I found relatively few coins and no gold or anything super valuable.

I've had better Edward I pennies that I bought for $35 or so, but this one is special - indeed, priceless, as far as I'm concerned. I wish I could impart to you the sheer thrill of digging such a thing out of the ground and holding it in your hand, knowing that you're the very first person in 700 years to touch it! It is an incomparable rush.

Note the king's piggy little nose in this portrait. Medieval coin portraiture of monarchs in this era was, as many of you know, often more cartoonish than realistic. Not until the Tudor period in the mid-1500s did realistic portraits of kings begin to appear on coins, notably in the reign of Henry VIII.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, speaking of medieval English hammered silver from hoards, here is a King John penny I bought earlier this year.

It is from the Gisors (Eure) Hoard, which was discovered in Normandy in 1970. This hoard consisted of largely French and Continental coins, but included a number of British coins as well.

Obverse: Crowned head facing, scepter to left.

Reverse: Voided short cross; quatrefoils in angles.

Silver, 17 mm, 1.22 g. London mint.

John, King of England (1199-1216). Coin legend reads "HENRICVS", as John's coinage was struck bearing the name of his father, Henry II.

Catalog info: North 975/1, SCBC 1354.

Grade, cert. info: PCGS XF45, cert. # 35075112, pop. 2/0. Hoard provenance noted on slab label.

Ex- Classical Numismatic Group eAuction 413, Lot 722, 1/31/2018. Purchased raw.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Longshanks was mean to Mel Gibson. ;)

• Options
    edited June 30, 2018 4:10PM

That's a beautiful penny @lordmarcovan .

It's toned wonderfully since, I assume, it was conserved in 1970.

I wonder if PCGS would attribute my Llanddona hoard piece? I do have the original York Coin flip insert with coin image.

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

Edward I is an important and interesting historic figure. Known as "Hammer of the Scots" he managed to go to war with not only Scotland, but also Wales, bot of whom England had good relations with prior to his reign. He was also infamous for breaking his word, if Edward promised you something, you better watch out!

In spite of his faults, and they were many, Edward almost defines medieval English kingship, set in motion much that would influence later monarchs and made England more of a European power than it had ever been before.

Great OP, especially on the hoard. Thank you for sharing.

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    NLLNLL Posts: 34

Last year Ithought I found a coin that I thought was very similar to lordmarcovans coin in a dime roll. It turned out to be a fair bit was still a fun coin to find.

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is my Edward I penny
    London mint
    I think it's class 1d, but I have a hard time identifying them.
    Attractive toning, unfortunately a little ghosting from the reverse.

• Options

Beautiful @Nap!!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are the two Edward I pennies in my collection. I have owned this first piece for many years.

Here a second one with a bit more "ghosting" on it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?