Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Better Be Nice to the Pope! Papua New Guinea 1984FM Proof Set Goes Wild!

OK, this for the FM Haters in the crowd. Just closed today was a Papua New Guinea 1984FM Proof Set (WITH NO BOX OR COA) at $1025+.
Yikes, I had no idea. This set features the Pope (JPII?!?), and was in the cello cardboard only with no box or COA that usually adds quite a bit to the value. I would guess the larger coins will be submitted for grading and end up entombed.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

got pics? Whats the mintage?

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

People get their auction bids run-up silly each and every day.

Even the late, great Virgil Brand was supposedly suckered into certain European auctions where he was the only real bidder.

Heck, I won two small eBay auctions last week where I believe I was bidding against shills.

The only thing rarer than some of this Franklin Mint stuff is an actual living person who collects it.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

I once offered a silver Joe Seigel (founder of the Franklin Mint) medal on eBay. The winning bidder on eBay for all of about $10 was none other than Joe Seigel! (I'm not sure if I spelled his name correctly.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe I should offer my all silver Samoa set on eBay .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

I suspect that that Samoa set was made in England by the Royal Mint (not a Franklin Mint product), but hey, give it a shot. Report back.

• Options
    coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:
    OK, this for the FM Haters in the crowd. Just closed today was a Papua New Guinea 1984FM Proof Set (WITH NO BOX OR COA) at $1025+.
    Yikes, I had no idea. This set features the Pope (JPII?!?), and was in the cello cardboard only with no box or COA that usually adds quite a bit to the value. I would guess the larger coins will be submitted for grading and end up entombed.

Was this on eBay ? Do you have a link?

all around collector of many fine things

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the update... It's not always about the mintage, but how many survived.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Likely less than 100, maybe less than 50. These are real sales for the haters out there - should have guessed, but there are multiple bidders and I have written on this before. I am solely a collector and have my set already. There are collectors for these, and prices have been edging up for the scarcer ones like this one. It's real, and certainly more real than the prices for those infernal 1895 proof Morgans!!

I am not too good at this: Item number 183280159607

• Options

@BillDugan1959 said:
    I suspect that that Samoa set was made in England by the Royal Mint (not a Franklin Mint product), but hey, give it a shot. Report back.

I don't have an eBay store to sell on .

• Options

You do have to sign up to use eBay, but a "store" itself is unnecessary. An eBay "store" is an extra step for people who sell a lot of stuff or have significant inventory that they wish to expose to browsers.

If you don't personally have a decent eBay feedback record already stablished, then ignore my suggestion. Using somebody else (unless it is a good friend or somebody like that) to sell that set will not work, they will likely want too big a percentage cut. I personally do not think your Samoa set will bring a great deal more than "melt".

• Options

Any demand for Panama sets struck at FM?

If so what years ?

Thank in advance

• Options

What is this FM set worth ?

• Options

Panama: 1982-1985. There were 8 coin sets also in 82-84 (if you have seen an '84 8 coin set, do let me know). I showed a 1983 with packaging in Spanish on these boards.
    There are some sets with the 1982 5B stating: "Ley 0.925", rather than the "Ley 0.500" that is what they really are - they are really struck in 0.500 fine silver from that year.

The silver sets from 1974 are really only bullion or just a bit more retail: 60-80 USD is best guess. They try to sell for 100, but these don't move.

• Options

Also seen this last week on eBay:
    1984 Trinidad FM proof set (only large $10 in silver) - $540USD WITHOUT PACKAGING OR COA!!
    1983 Trinidad FM proof set (only large coin in silver)- $360USD also WITHOUT PACKAGING OR COA!!

The significance is that the sets were really thought to require the full packaging and COA to bring serious money. Evidently this is not so, and underscores the price brought by the Papua set just before. Good to see these quality FM products coming through big and blasting the perpetually negative nannies that seem not to have nice to say about them.

• Options

So is it the set or the FM that makes these coins in demand?

• Options

Absolutely the set IMHO. Nobody really cares about the FM, they just happened to mint them. These are very decent coins, well designed and attractively executed with some of the dates quite rare.

• Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello everybody, I got a 1984 Papua proof set from ebay in 2019, no COA or box. Here is the set:

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• Options

Very nice and rare set there. Congratulations....

• Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you very much, I am so happy I was able to get it! Here is another Papua 1984 coin, probably from a set:

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter