Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

30 Year High School Reunion Reunites Me With My First "Big" Card Purchase - With Pic!

PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

Headed back to my hometown last night for my 30 year high school reunion. Man, 30 years, where has the time gone? Great to see some people I haven't seen in ages. How does this relate to cards? Well, the story goes like this. Back in the mid 80's, I bought my first "expensive" card from my father. He had purchased a collection of nice 50's stuff. There was a 55 Topps Jackie Robinson that I swore was the most beautiful card I had ever seen....I HAD to have it. Dad squeezed me for $95, which was book value at the time and a lot for a 14-15 year old kid. After PSA was born, I sent it in to be slabbed on my first CC special. Card comes back a 7. I thought it had a shot at a 9. Needless to say, I cracked it and sent it back in. Came back an 8. I held the card until about 1999. After a divorce, I needed some money so I sold it to a good friend of mine, explaining that it would be a good investment. He is not a baseball fan nor has he ever collected cards. We have stayed in touch over the years and he would always tease me that he still has the card and I don't. Last night we worked out a deal where after nearly 20 years, I will buy the card back from him. Yes, he has made a nice profit and I get a card back that means more to me than the price tag. With the passing of my father last year, having that card back in my possession became even more important to me. I thank my friend for holding onto it all these years and can't wait to see it again!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com

Comments

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome story and nothing like getting back a card you owned that has personal meaning to you. I still have a few cards I have sold over the years that I wish I had back so I know the feeling. Two of them would be really nice to have right now since both would have .5 bumps and be worth a few bucks more today ;) Thank you for sharing and let us see the card when you get it.

KC

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭

good for you. congrats!!

lets see a picture when you get it

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!

Thanx for sharing that Tim.

I'm impressed the guy still had the card.

Curious. Do you remember what you got for the card in '99?

I don't have that card - have a great Strike Zone story about a 55T Robinson for another Oprah show.

Mike
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    Wow!

I don't have that card - have a great Strike Zone story about a 55T Robinson for another Oprah show.

He seemed to think he paid $400 but I was thinking it was $350. It was somewhere in that range, though.

• ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Great story. Congratulations on bringing the card back in the family.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool story. Thanks for sharing it.

Kevin

Kevin

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@Stone193 said:
    Wow!

He seemed to think he paid $400 but I was thinking it was $350. It was somewhere in that range, though.

Bottom line?

You've got it back.

Congratulations Tim.

Mike
  • GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Nice story and I am glad you have the card back. This Jackie is part of your family history.

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool story. Thanks for the post. Glad you got the Jackie back.

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim,

That is a great story. Thanks for sharing it.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)

So, got the card back today. Was thinking it might be eligible for a bump but I think it's a solid 8. It feels good having it back in hand!

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely gorgeous. Graded before the .5 system. May be well worth it to be reviewed.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

@Brick said:
    Absolutely gorgeous. Graded before the .5 system. May be well worth it to be reviewed.

A touch to the lower right hand corner will keep it from being bumped. I'm just happy to have it back!

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

This is an amazing story. I am glad to hear you got the card back. It looks great too.

Steve

That's an incredible card Tim - I can see why you were so happy to get it back.

Nice going buddy.

Mike
  • mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

That is great story and you are 100% right that the connection with your Dad far out weighs the price tag.

PackManInNC
  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps the funniest part to me is the fact that you sold it to him as a good investment and then proved it to be so yourself!

Congrats - a real beauty, a great story and a chance for a bump? A real life cardboard fairy tale, indeed.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest