Home Precious Metals
Options

FΓιDλΨ ΜΣτΛL ΡθΓΠ

LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the Land that brought us Plato, Aristotle, Socrates, & Pythagoras comes this Set titled "Democracy in Silver"

It's all about what the people want...

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Luke, that boxed set is off the charts!!! Looks like the inspiration for the privateer rounds.

I went to my usual PM place to get a 1956 proof set and ended up leaving with this too. Generic bars at spot and $50 FV for 12X.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2018 4:47AM

Wow. great pickup on the bullion! That box set is pretty sweet too!
    This was my only purchase this week from an estate sale. I'm not even sure they're silver. My local shop is having them tested for me this week.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's the weight on those box set pieces?? Pretty cool.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LukeMarshall , that set is off the charts. And your thread title is too >:)

I got...some...crap this week? I can't ever resist vintage Mexican or South American silver, so I had to get the onza.

The Barbary Coast art bar is one of the best detailed I've ever seen. Unfortunately not the more scarce type 1 with the cat house on the reverse. Still an unusual bar.

The Bache bar is sometimes called the "Thumbs Up" bar for obvious reasons. It's neat because it's smaller but thicker than traditional art bars.

Last, I had a chance to go through the quarters from my laundry machines. Been several months since I've found anything interesting...

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... that 'Democracy in Silver' set is impressive.... Nice acquisition.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

i like the forth coin down

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2018 1:45PM

@1630Boston said:
    Interesting :smile:

Indeed!

@Downtown1974
    Thanks!! Nice haul yourself and a good price to boot!

@Meltdown
    Yeah you're right... Let us know if they turn out legit.

@DrBuster
    10oz total fine Silver, quality pieces and cool indeed.

@Weiss said:
    @LukeMarshall , that set is off the charts. And your thread title is too >:)

Kind words Sir, Happy you like :#
    Nice score on the silver at face value!!

@ricko
    Appreciate it, ricko!!

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice items, hanks for sharing guys !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Greek set is impressive. Lots of good silver on this thread. Happy Friday.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Meltdown, you have a better chance of getting a keeper from GSC than you do that those copies are made from silver

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked these up recently

• Options

@WildIdea....That FREEDOM token is interesting....What does the reverse look like? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@ricko said:
    @WildIdea....That FREEDOM token is interesting....What does the reverse look like? Cheers, RickO

Thanks @ricko

It’s nothing super special, just a decent piece for the price. The reverse is clean.

• Options

@Downtown1974 said:
    That RMM bar is pretty cool. Never saw one before.

Thanks @Downtown1974

When I first saw it I thought it was pretty nice, I like 5 Oz size bars the best, it seems I gravitate towards them the most anyway, this piece looks to be sheared off from a larger piece. Kind of crude really. I like poured bars a lot, but also like excruded pieces. I still feel this piece is pretty neat despite the low tech manufacturing.

• Options

@WildIdea ... Thanks for showing the reverse... I like the theme on the obverse, That is one I would pick up at a show if I saw it...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even though the Proof Liberty BitCoins run $150 each, they are pricey
    but I think these will be a rarity with only 100 total minted.
    And, as a collector of Norfed Liberty dollars, this is neat.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the kit Kat bar.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

@WildIdea said:

@ricko said:

Thanks @ricko

It’s nothing super special, just a decent piece for the price. The reverse is clean.

It is special, it’s from a Johnson Matthey set of 10 1oz round Freedom series , do some dilligence, the right to bear arms one is hot...

keceph `anah
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2018 9:10PM

@rawteam1 said:

@WildIdea said:

@ricko said:

Thanks @ricko

It is special, it’s from a Johnson Matthey set of 10 1oz round Freedom series , do some dilligence, the right to bear arms one is hot...

Did I miss something? 30 bucks buy it now on eBay doesn’t make it special in my book. Kind of average price wise.

My BM has gobs of silver coming and going and they don’t spent too much precious time trying to wring out another buck or two on a vintage oz of silver. Easier on them than slinging rounds on eBay and we’re both happy. And I don’t have to buy them that way either.

• Options
    edited June 29, 2018 9:11PM

I pick these up when I can too, I guess I’m getting a decent group. I got one this week. Had to get out the box to put it away. Shooting for 100 pieces.

I was told by a dealer once he knows of a guy with thousands of these. No telling if it’s true, I guess so. Anyone know how many were made?

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WildIdea said:
    I pick these up when I can too, I guess I’m getting a decent group. I got one this week. Had to get out the box to put it away. Shooting for 100 pieces.

I was told by a dealer once he knows of a guy with thousands of these. No telling if it’s true, I guess so. Anyone know how many were made?

I have no idea about mintage, sorry. I remember these when I worked at a shop 'back in the day.' They were a nuisance! Nobody wanted them and we had to sell them at a discount. People wanted 'rounds' or 'bars' and not mini-bricks! Now it's all I can do find these little gems at a decent price! LOL

Very nice @WildIdea

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

@astrorat said:

I have no idea about mintage, sorry. I remember these when I worked at a shop 'back in the day.' They were a nuisance! Nobody wanted them and we had to sell them at a discount. People wanted 'rounds' or 'bars' and not mini-bricks! Now it's all I can do find these little gems at a decent price! LOL

True! The little bricks remind me of Hershey’s Halloween candy. I think it’s a great shape, myself.

They are available, but I don’t like paying more than 25 bucks each. This last one was 20. They trickle into the local shop and they save them for me and I can buy them at between 20-25 oz. I’m patient with them, just happy to get them when they come around. The one with the neat number 1 I remember giving 50 for way back when.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Luckily ... our local shops treat them as generic bars. I just wish they had more!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2018 4:19PM

@WildIdea said:

@Downtown1974 said:
    That RMM bar is pretty cool. Never saw one before.

Thanks @Downtown1974

When I first saw it I thought it was pretty nice, I like 5 Oz size bars the best, it seems I gravitate towards them the most anyway, this piece looks to be sheared off from a larger piece. Kind of crude really. I like poured bars a lot, but also like excruded pieces. I still feel this piece is pretty neat despite the low tech manufacturing.

I have one like that. There is not much information on that producer. What little I have found suggests that RMM may have been another name for the "Colorado Mint" which was based near Golden Colorado and operated in the 1990s and early 2000s.

A few months ago on eBay I saw a couple Engelhard 50-oz poured bars that had been struck with the RMM punch. I bid but didn't win either of those.

Mine is also a 5+ troy oz in the extruded & sheared style like the one pictured.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rawteam1 said:

@WildIdea said:

@ricko said:

Thanks @ricko

Hey , the PM forum has been kinda dull lately stop by more often B)

• Options
    shinywhiteshinywhite Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

@Meltdown said:
    Wow. great pickup on the bullion! That box set is pretty sweet too!
    This was my only purchase this week from an estate sale. I'm not even sure they're silver. My local shop is having them tested for me this week.

I believe some of those are 90% silver but I would have to have them in hand to be sure. Either way, if you paid those sticker price for the pieces then you ,my good sir, have done a good job

• Options
    cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Downtown1974 said:
    cman, incredible haul as always!

Thanks DT......