Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Rarity assessment: 1901/801-Cn Q Gold Peso

Mexican coin experts: I just sent this coin in and it was verified to be an 1901/801-Cn Q Peso. The coin is clearly this over-date, but what makes it interesting is it is the only one that PCGS has seen; moreover, while I can find records of 1901/801-Mo pesos and even a 1901/801-Cn 5 Centavos I can find no record of any other 1901/801-Cn Q Peso to exist. From an original mintage of only 2,350 it is possible that the number of over-dates at this mint was extremely low....could this be the only example? I welcome any information anyone has.

Comments

• Options
    WorldCoinsDmitryWorldCoinsDmitry Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2018 11:05PM

This one looks like most other examples of a Cn gold peso of this date. The double 0 and the line in the 9 included.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options
    Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WorldCoinsDmitry Ok - so you think most are just unattributed? I have seen other Cn gold from this date with doubling, but never with a clear overdate. AN interesting coin in any event...but you can see the difference in striking quality between Mo and Cn :smile:

• Options
    tonedSilvertonedSilver Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

Maybe PCGS mis attributed Mexico City mint instead of Culiacan mint.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like high quality Mexican gold pesos and avidly collect them.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

Here is a fav.

• Options

@bidask said:

NICE! Love that example and the grade. The Mo coins always seem to be bade MUCH better than the Cn coins. I have seen other Mo examples of this overdate....still excited to see if I can find anymore Cn overdates...thinking it may be fairly rare.

• Options

• Options

@Senator32 said:

@bidask said:

I have seen other Mo examples of this overdate....still excited to see if I can find anymore Cn overdates...thinking it may be fairly rare.

Search Heritage auction archives. Most coins exhibit the same thing as yours. Seems to be more common than a normal date.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options

@WorldCoinsDmitry Appreciate the feedback. I do see a few that match mine on HA. Most seem to be the die that @bidask linked up above... the 1901/0-Cn NOT the 1901/801-Cn. If you look at the TrueView of the one you posted above you can see it is clearly not the same overdate:

That being said Dimitry appears correct that others exists unattributed. With an original mintage of just 2350 coins, I wonder how many of each variety exists...no premium but still cool. (example of one the same die as mine: https://coins.ha.com/itm/mexico/world-coins/mexico-republic-gold-peso-1901-cn-q-ms64-ngc-/a/231824-62264.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515)

• Options
    edited June 22, 2018 11:45PM

Most examples of this coin have that doubled 0, the 1901/0 variety does not. That being said, your coin looks very similar to the Mo overdate of the same year. Not sure why it was never attributed as such, or as anything else. It may just be the "normal" version for the year and the 1901/0 is the variety.

• Options

Here are all my other CN M mint gold pesos.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang! I want one now! >:)